Notices

Questions about withdrawals & tolerance build-up

Old 02-05-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions about withdrawals & tolerance build-up

I am new to this site, and find it very interesting and helpful. I have been drinking for the past 25 years off and on. My father, grandfathers, uncles and aunt were all alcoholics. They're deceased now.

In the past I would drink a few 6 packs or more about four to five days a week. I know that I am an alcoholic. I can stop drinking for about two to three months at a time, and then I'll hit it again for a day or two. The wierd thing is is that after not having any for a few months, I can down a half rack and really not feel that buzzed. The amount I drink after being off of it for so long would make many people pass out... I don't understand how my tolerance could be so high after being off of it for so long.

Anyway, I do notice that after I stop drinking at each of my two month binges, my withdrawal symptoms seem to get a little worse... Sweating, dizziness, minor muscle spasms, elevated heart rate for a short period of time, visual light sensitivity, etc. I am going to find an AA group in my area and rid myself of this habit.

Does anyone know how long a person usually needs to be off of it in order for your tolerance to drop? Can withdrawal symptoms get worse each time a person quits drinking? Do these symptoms last longer each time a person quits? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will get worse unless you stop drinking.

I hope you will talk to your dr because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.

You will find lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome jamest - I found that my hangovers(withdrawal symptoms) definitely got worse, even after drinking the same amount. I'm not sure about my tolerance after I'd had a period of sobriety.....

Glad you're ready to quit for good. If you can go for two or three months, what is it that made you want to go back to drinking (if you know)?

I found that I couldn't do this on my own, which is why I love this forum. There's a lot of great people with lots of experience here. Hope you'll make yourself at home!!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome jamest

Anna's right about the withdrawals...anything involving dizziness and increased heart rate should be checked out.

Tolerance can be an individual thing - based on factors like age weight, size, general physical condition, even genetic factors.

D
Old 02-05-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It varies. In the beginning and prime of my drinking days ('05-'07) I was frequenting the bars. Drinking mainly beer, but some whiskies as well (Johnnie Blue, Crown Royal, were my vices) -- After a few bad times with those (blackout events) I gave those right up. Stuck to beer. A few (3-5) a couple times a week. Then, I got into the phase of "moderating" - Drink a few (anywhere from 2 to 7) in a session, then not drink for a week, or two. I found that when I did this, my tolerance would some how "reset" - temporarily.

I'd drink two and be done. Nice and drowsy, ready for bed. If I stop and don't drink for another week, etc... same thing. But, generally, it's another 2 the next night, then again the third, or after one or two nights off, starting up again it goes up to five.. or six.

Better to just drink something else, I've found.

Day 13 today.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It sounds like maybe you're asking for advice on how much of an interval you need to put between your binges so that they'll have the affect that you used to enjoy. It sounds like you're not trying to stop, but just to get back to a place where you enjoy drinking.

If this is so, I think most people here will agree that what you're trying to do is impossible. It will never get any easier and you'll never be able to get back to where you were. Some people say that once you build up tolerance, it stays with you for life. I don't know about that, but I know that for alcoholics (and you do describe yourself as one), total abstinence has is, by far, the best thing.

There's not much that we or anyone can do for you until you decide to stop. I hope that decision will come soon. This is a one-way elevator to hell. It only goes one direction, down, but you can get off at any floor.

You understand how to get through the withdrawal symptoms. Now you have to figure out why you drink and how not to start again. AA can help with that.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'd like to thank all of you for your thoughts. I thought I could control my urges for alcohol if I could make it for a few months without it, however, I kept coming back to it. I have learned that I do not have the power to stay away from it on my own, and that I cannot drink again... never... I am going to find an AA group in my area to get the support I need to deal with this disease. After growing up with an alcoholic family and watching them damage their lives and the lives of others, I said to myself that I would never drink... Well, that certainly wasn't a reality, as I did start drinking. Twentyfive plus years later, I now realize that alcohol controlled me; I did not control it.

I am very happy to have found this forum where I can discuss these things with others that share the same problem.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

James,

I have read many times that alcohol withdrawal symptoms may become more severe every time your body detoxes from alcohol. Now, I am NOT a doctor, however, it is my understanding that withdrawal and detox are two separate things that have two separate time-lines. (For example, if you drink heavily every night over the span of a few months for the first time in your life, and are lucky to have little or no withdrawal symptoms - however your body still must detox).

With regards to your question to how long it takes for tolerance to drop, i think it is safe to say this may vary from person to person. My tolerance never seems to drop after I stop drinking. I may be quicker to notice the "state changed" induced by alcohol within a couple drinks, however, I can readily resume drinking to my former capacity as if I've never stopped.

My opinion is that it would be a very good thing to speak with your doctor about your symptoms - he would be the first to know what the best course of action (in terms of treatment) would be for yourself.

Best of luck with your path to sobriety, I think it's commendable that you're reaching out - i just hit the two week mark, and it's the best decision I've made in my life.

Regards.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR and to our Alcoholism Forum

Glad to know you are breaking the family circle of alcoholism...
All my best as you move into lasting recovery
Old 02-06-2011, 12:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Very perceptive James, there is a phenomenon that alcoholics develop that makes quitting harder as you try repeatedly and fail. Do a web search for alcoholic kindling if you want to read about it.

There won't be a better time than now.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In early attempts to stop drinking I'd relapse over and over, and yes, my w/d got worse each time, no matter how much I drank. Only way to stop that was to stop drinking totally, which I did, so I never have to go thru that agony again.