Notices

How many AA meetings do you average a week??

Old 02-05-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Too funny!

Hey, it's not like you walked into the Ladies Room, with all that unfamiliar plumbing.
That actually describes it pretty darn well.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Throughout my period of recovery, slightly over 18 months I have worshipped all of the things possible in Recoveryland, i.e. meetings (8-9 a week at some point, lol), my sponsor, grandsponsor, the Big Book, and the steps, and probably a couple other things along the way we won't mention. Of recent, I only attend 1 maybe 2 meetings each week. I work full time, I go to school part time, I have a child...and the list goes on ad infinitum. Are any of those good reasons for not attending meetings...NO! but here is the deal, the majority of the meetings I am able to attend are paper signing factories, on occasion there are more papers in the basket than there are warm bodies in the building. I can't justify chalking up another meeting just to say I went if I am leaving more sick than when I arrived. Meetings don't keep me sober, they do not treat alcoholism. What keeps me sober is my staying in fit spiritual condition. Which means for me I live shoulder deep in the disciplines of 10, 11, and 12. I am in contact with my sponsor probably 3X a week, grandsponsor about the same. I spend a good deal of time on the road which means I have numerous workshop speakers and BB studies on CD. I have two sponsees I am actively working with. Neither one is doing very well, but they are saving my life. I have a service commitment to my home group...I am responsible for the birthday cakes each month as I enjoy baking. And...I could bore you infinitely with the numerous things one can do to live the program without living in the meeting halls. There is more to life than just meetings. Meeting makers don't make it...why??? I made 2-3 meetings a day for the first few months I was in the fellowship...that took me to a suicide attempt. Conscious contact with that that has the power keeps me sober AND being of service to those that put up with my BS early on AND turning around and extending the hand to the newcomer that's still detoxing. Haul a guy around for 2 weeks while he his detoxing...talk about guaranteed recovery. Ok, I'll step down off my meeting making soapbox now.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I was taught to "listen" to my HP for some direction on how many meetings to attend. Initially, it was 1 per week..... no license, scared to ask for rides, etc etc etc. Eventually I kicked that up to 2 per week....then 3.......then back down to 2. Now, I always hit 2 (unless something important keeps me from one of them - both are homegroups for me) but usually manage to get to 3 or 4 per week.

If I was able to drive I'd get to more though. Tough to find new people to work with when I'm home.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

When I first started going to AA, but really only wanted to try to control my drinking, I'd go to 1 - 2 a week.

Once I got my 2nd dui and I was scared to death, I went did 90 meetings in 90 days (while also doing 2 nights a week at an outpatient joint).

All while not being able to drive b/c of the 2nd dui. Talk about the power of willingness and the brotherhood of AA.

Now, I'm over a year sober and I only go to 1 - 2 a week, but that's only b/c I'm still not able to drive (but it's almost over) and I have A LOT of community service to do.

I think it's important for people to find the right amount as I see people make the mistake of not only going to too little, but also too many.

Kjell
Old 02-05-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Tough to find new people to work with when I'm home.
You help me Mike (just so ya know).
Old 02-05-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

2-3 meetings a week, sometimes more. When I first got into recovery I went everyday, hitting as many as 4 meetings a day.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
You help me Mike (just so ya know).
Me, too.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Kjell, Mike helps me too!!!!

I have been going to 5 meetings a week since I started about 3 months ago. Its so cold and rotten out that I've stopped going to my 2 night meetings, so now attend 3 a week. Once the weather breaks, I'll be back up to 5 though.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Awwww...... you guys!

And here I was, trying my darndest to be kinda crabby tonight.....

thanks, I needed that
Old 02-06-2011, 02:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I go to 1 or 2 a week...for the first 6 months i was getting to as many as possible, about 4 or 5...
Old 02-06-2011, 02:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

First 5 yrs, 5x week

To 25yrs 3x week

Last 4yrs I moved to the sticks and have to drive 4 hrs to a meeting, so I'm down to a meeting every 3 weeks, would sure like to attend more.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

0. Haven't been to a meeting in maybe 4 months.

Going to meetings won't get you sober.

Going to meetings won't keep you sober if you manage to get sober.

There is a difference between the fellowship of AA and the 12 steps of AA.

Next time I hit Dubai, will try to attend a meeting with Cliff.