SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   I hope this story does not offend.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/219374-i-hope-story-does-not-offend.html)

MissGuided 02-04-2011 07:08 PM

I hope this story does not offend....

Hello everyone
I am not an alcoholic, I am the wife one. So I hope you dont mind me posting here, I am usually on the f&f section, I almost feel like a bit of an intruder :redface: but I just felt compelled to tell you what is going on in my life right now...
My AH is 37 years old. He was diagnosed with alcoholic cirrhosis 2 weeks ago. He is also in renal failure. They discharged him from the hospital today because he stabelized and there is nothing more they can do except give him medication. He does have an appointment with a great hepatologist next week so we are looking forward to that in the hope he can get some relief.
Because he is an alcoholic he wont even be considered to get on the transplant list until he has been sober for 6 months, but his prognosis is poor, so we are just praying he can survive long enough to get on the list and get a transplant.
I look at him now, a shadow of the man he used to be....he is completely jaundiced, he has lost so much weight, the skin just hangs off his arms but his belly and feet are all bloated and huge, he can barely walk. He has all sores in his mouth so he can barely eat. his friends tried to help him up the stairs to the apartment and he had to stop because he was in so much pain and crying. It just broke my heart to see him that way.
The truly sad part is he was told years ago to stop drinking as his liver was showing problems from drinking even in his 20s. 6 years ago a doctor specifically told him that he WOULD get cirrhosis if he carried on drinking because he had fatty liver syndrome then.
He did not listen. I dont think he believed it would happen. I cannot believe this is happening. This is the most heartbreaking and horrific disease - I just know if he cud see 6 years ago what he sees now, he would have stopped. His biggest fear is that he wont get to see our little girls 4th birthday - or any other birthday.
But I know we cant turn back the clock and I feel so helpless.
Thats why I wanted to write this in the hope that anyone showing signs of liver problems might heed my husbands story and maybe it would help just one person even...
Im sorry guys, this isnt a lecture I just hate the thought of anybody else going through this if they can stop it progressing. I know its not easy, I cant imagine what it must be like, I try to understand this horrible disease called alcoholism. I always try to keep in my mind that my AH is a person, a loving and kind human being beyond the alcohol.
Thank you so much for listening.
I wish you all strength and courage for wherever you are on your journey of sobriety, whether you have yet to start the journey or you are far down the road already.
:tyou

Dee74 02-04-2011 07:13 PM

I'm really sorry for your story MissGuided - but thank you for your post.
All my prayers to you and your family.

D

ImReadyToQuit 02-04-2011 07:29 PM

To offend is to cause displeasure, wounded feelings, or repugnance in another
Works for me.. Thank you so much for your story and strength.. I know because of my HP, wife.. stories like yours.. I will never drink again.

suki44883 02-04-2011 07:31 PM

I don't think anyone would honestly be offended by what you wrote. It was a very kind and considerate thing to do. I'm sorry you are going through this awful time, but I hope someone will read what you wrote and take it seriously enough to get help. Remember to take care of yourself during this time. :grouphug:

LexieCat 02-04-2011 07:40 PM

Thanks for sharing your story here, MG.

You might have helped to save some lives.

MsCooterBrown 02-04-2011 08:10 PM

MissGuided..thank you for the time you took to post here. I am sure it will save some people. My prayers go out to you and your family.

ZZworldontheweb 02-04-2011 08:36 PM

No offense at all. Very helpful, very needed. My prayers will also be with you and your hubby.

Bored3 02-04-2011 08:57 PM

Selfless and brave. You're a credit to your husband and family.

mtnmagic 02-04-2011 08:59 PM

Thank you for the courage in posting MissGuided.
I have been following your story on the F&F forum.
I'm one of those double winners that currently needs
to focus on sobriety because I'm in the early days again.

What I get out of your story is to take heed, because
I may not get another chance at this just because I'm
not that bad yet. So far for me the physical symptoms
aren't that severe except for horrendous withdrawal.
What I do drunk is starting to and has gotten me in
a lot of trouble.

I'm also reminded of the pain I have put my loved ones
through due to my denial and selfishness to keep on drinking.
I will never be able to make it up to my two son's or my exhusband
(he is in recovery) but I can stop causing them anymore pain
due to my drinking from this point forward.

Thank you again, you have certainly helped me and by extension
my family. I will pray for you and yours.

philly71 02-04-2011 09:30 PM

I just received the same news that your husband did 6 years ago. Enlarged but no damage. Your post is a powerful reminder of what will happen if I drink again.
I need these reminders.

Thank you very much.

TheEnd 02-04-2011 10:24 PM

Thanks for the post, it kind of helps you put everything in perspective.

Hope everything works out for the best.

artsoul 02-04-2011 10:31 PM

Thank you for posting your story, MissG. I think anyone who is abusing alcohol or trying to stay sober needs to hear stories like this. None of us ever thinks it could happen to us.

You're obviously a very compassionate person and your husband is blessed to have you to care for him. This disease causes so much suffering to so many - I hope a lot of people get to read this and I pray that you both will be given the strength to deal with this. :hug::hug:

LaFemme 02-05-2011 02:12 AM

Thank you for sharing your story. My heart goes out to yolu and your family. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

CarolD 02-05-2011 03:01 AM

Prayers going out for y'all

Your story may help someone else get serious and into sobreity
Thank you....:hug:

anew 02-05-2011 05:20 AM

Thank you for sharing your story...you've done more good than you know. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Fandy 02-05-2011 05:32 AM

again, thanks for stating what you and your husband, children are experiencing. it's a very truthful reminder of what can happen.

the waiting to get on a transplant list and then waiting for a liver will be agonizing for you. it's a very hard road ahead. i wish you the best possible outcome.

blackhorse 02-05-2011 05:41 AM

My thoughts and prayers go out to you both. What an awful disease this is.

Chloe03 02-05-2011 06:27 AM

Thank you so very much for posting your story. It truly touched my heart.

I wish you and your family all the best. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

UniqueNewYork 02-05-2011 06:41 AM

I will pray for your family. You have a good attitude considering everything.

NTurn 02-05-2011 06:43 AM

Thank you for your post...Stay strong you are so brave...You and your family are in my thoughts