Notices

I hope this story does not offend....

Old 02-05-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your kind words.

The reason I was concerned about offending is I didnt want to come across like I thought that it was so easy to stop drinking if you just heard my story.
My husband told me often enough (and showed me!) how hard it was to stop drinking no matter what else you saw or heard.
And as I dont really KNOW first hand MYSELF how hard it is, I would never assume one 'sob story' would cure all. Because THAT would be offensive and I did not want to come across that way.
So thank you all so much for seeing what I was trying to do.
(Oh and also to be honest, I know the title of the post was eye catching and I wanted as many people to read it as possible )

Husband had to be taken back to the emergency room in the middle of the night, they are admitting him again. different hospital this time, a better one where they have the liver unit. so maybe he is better off there, perhaps its a blessing.
Hes ok though, hes annoyed now he might miss the superbowl - I see this as a good sign! No mental confusion yet there!
Anyway, so your prayers are particularly welcomed and needed today.
((((((THANK YOU ALL AGAIN SO VERY MUCH!!!!)))))))
Old 02-05-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Prayers for you and your husband. I'm glad you shared that story; it may indeed help someone quit. Thank you—and stay strong.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A work in progress

LOL, yeah, nothing like heading a post "I hope this doesn't offend..." to get everyone clicking to read what outrageous thing might be underneath!

Glad they are getting him into a better hospital. I remember after my ex-husband was home for a week or two and in horrible pain from the ascites, his doctor recommended (remember, he didn't have insurance) going to the ER of a very GOOD hospital (one with a good liver disease treatment program) and complaining of shortness of breath (they CAN'T turn that away). He was admitted there, and they drained off the fluid, adjusted his medications, and he was a lot better when he came home from there.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
LOL, yeah, nothing like heading a post "I hope this doesn't offend..." to get everyone clicking to read what outrageous thing might be underneath!

Glad they are getting him into a better hospital. I remember after my ex-husband was home for a week or two and in horrible pain from the ascites, his doctor recommended (remember, he didn't have insurance) going to the ER of a very GOOD hospital (one with a good liver disease treatment program) and complaining of shortness of breath (they CAN'T turn that away). He was admitted there, and they drained off the fluid, adjusted his medications, and he was a lot better when he came home from there.
Thanks Lexie, your replies are always so heartening, I always look fwd to them!
I hope he has the same experience your husband did with this different hospital.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Thank you for sharing your story with us... it is indeed a chilling reminder that for us, it might not be just a "slip" or "relapse"... but that we need to always be aware that the very next drink might take us back to worse than our starting point, and more.

I hope for the best possible for you and your family.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

(((MissGuided)))
Old 02-05-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you soo much for sharing what you and your husband are going through, i know it can be hard. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissGuided View Post
Hello everyone
I am not an alcoholic, I am the wife one. So I hope you dont mind me posting here, I am usually on the f&f section, I almost feel like a bit of an intruder but I just felt compelled to tell you what is going on in my life right now...
My AH is 37 years old. He was diagnosed with alcoholic cirrhosis 2 weeks ago. He is also in renal failure. They discharged him from the hospital today because he stabelized and there is nothing more they can do except give him medication. He does have an appointment with a great hepatologist next week so we are looking forward to that in the hope he can get some relief.
Because he is an alcoholic he wont even be considered to get on the transplant list until he has been sober for 6 months, but his prognosis is poor, so we are just praying he can survive long enough to get on the list and get a transplant.
I look at him now, a shadow of the man he used to be....he is completely jaundiced, he has lost so much weight, the skin just hangs off his arms but his belly and feet are all bloated and huge, he can barely walk. He has all sores in his mouth so he can barely eat. his friends tried to help him up the stairs to the apartment and he had to stop because he was in so much pain and crying. It just broke my heart to see him that way.
The truly sad part is he was told years ago to stop drinking as his liver was showing problems from drinking even in his 20s. 6 years ago a doctor specifically told him that he WOULD get cirrhosis if he carried on drinking because he had fatty liver syndrome then.
He did not listen. I dont think he believed it would happen. I cannot believe this is happening. This is the most heartbreaking and horrific disease - I just know if he cud see 6 years ago what he sees now, he would have stopped. His biggest fear is that he wont get to see our little girls 4th birthday - or any other birthday.
But I know we cant turn back the clock and I feel so helpless.
Thats why I wanted to write this in the hope that anyone showing signs of liver problems might heed my husbands story and maybe it would help just one person even...
Im sorry guys, this isnt a lecture I just hate the thought of anybody else going through this if they can stop it progressing. I know its not easy, I cant imagine what it must be like, I try to understand this horrible disease called alcoholism. I always try to keep in my mind that my AH is a person, a loving and kind human being beyond the alcohol.
Thank you so much for listening.
I wish you all strength and courage for wherever you are on your journey of sobriety, whether you have yet to start the journey or you are far down the road already.
This bought tears to my eyes and also made me realise just how serious it all is thanks for sharing ghirl xx (im an intruder too ha ha )
Old 02-12-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thank You so much for sharing your story. Your husband is blessed with a very kind, thoughtful, and loving wife. My prayers to you and your family.

Best Wishes To You!