Notices

Day 1 feels awesome. Day 2 sucks?

Old 02-04-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 feels awesome. Day 2 sucks?

This seems odd to me. Is this common?

Two days ago i didn't drink for a day and a half. I felt great! I couldn't stop telling my hubby all the good things about not drinking. (we both usually drink every night).

However, on the evening of my second non-drinking night I started to feel like crap. A wave of anxiety came over me and i couldn't shake it. I also got nauseous and was gagging a little. My whole body was buzzing. Not shaking, but buzzing. Sadly, I took a couple shots just so I could get on with life.

Why would my body skip withdrawals for for about 45 hours? If day 2 is worse than day 1, is day 3 worse than day 2? Seems counter intuitive.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

In my personal experience, I still had alcohol in my system on "day 1" from the previous night's bout. Therefore, my withdrawls didn't set in until my body had truly metabolized all the alcohol from my body. Now - this is just me and my experience. My physical symptoms improved after day 4. I am only finishing my 3rd true week (I had 7 days in previous before a 1 day relapse brought on by AA lol) and for now, my emotional symptoms have receded. I know these will come back and this is only temporary, but for me personally that is why I have recorded every day's struggles, highs, lows so that when I get cocky months again down the road I can look back and go nahhhhhhhhhh - forget it.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Interesting. I'd like to clarify something...I'm not saying that "I'll only quit if it's easy." I expected it to be difficult, but this caught me off guard and I hadn't prepared myself to deal with it.

It was like a hangover manifested out of thin air. Now i know to expect it.That probably the moment all the alcohol had left my body. That makes sense.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes....de toxing is not the same for everyone.
My Day 3 was the worse..but the final day of withdrawal.

You might want to check with your doctor about how best to
de tox,,that's always a wise move.

Please check out this link

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Welcome back...
Old 02-04-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My experience is the same as Carol's. If day two was bad I would always leave the lights on at night with the tv on for the night of day three as I knew that was going to be even worse. But once that was out the way things improved.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Irish Eyes-

My day one was bad mentally because I did not have a beer in my hand on a Sunday morning, my night one was bad physically due to the insomnia, then sometime between night one and day two the "physical detox" began and was BRUTAL, night two was the worst, and I saw my doctor on day three and was prescribed librium for the physical detox. If I had to go through a night three without any help I would have jumped through my bedrooom window. Insomnia, shakes, cramps, joint pain, nausea, night sweats, etc...

Don't be afraid to talk with your doctor before the quit. I wish that I had.

Good luck to you. It does get better.

Zube
Old 02-04-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with all of the above. Day 1- still had alcohol in system from day before. Day 2- sucked. Day 3- sucked. Day 4- sucked. Day5- started to rebound a little and from there everyday got a little better. Still improving on Day 85.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Irish-

I'm over a year sober and some days suck and some are GREAT.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is of course more of a physical withdrawel early on, but my point is this is life.

It's not all gonna be rainbows and puppies in sobriety.

Keep up the good work and remember - feelings aren't facts. It simply doesn't always matter how it feels (in fact, that's probably what got us in trouble in the first place).

Kjell
Old 02-04-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah I'm not surprised to see this. Day 1 was easy. It's just one day, right?

Day two was when the cravings started to kick in. Day 3 was harder.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Sounds par for the course, to me.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
Irish-

I'm over a year sober and some days suck and some are GREAT.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is of course more of a physical withdrawel early on, but my point is this is life.

It's not all gonna be rainbows and puppies in sobriety.

Keep up the good work and remember - feelings aren't facts. It simply doesn't always matter how it feels (in fact, that's probably what got us in trouble in the first place).

Kjell
I think this says what I am thinking.

When we were drinkers we had the 'euphoric high' which gives a feeling of overwhelming joy at times. You don't have that when you are sober.

I am happy that I am sober and I am also at peace with my body. I am relaxed and my mind is consistent every day. I am no longer wondering what the day hold for my emotions because I know what they will be.

My fun roller coaster ride is over. I no longer get pumped up and go out and drink. I find no pleasure in that anymore. I sit at home and read on the internet or shop around. i workout everyday and cook my own food as much as possible.

It's a boring life being sober at times, but you will gain knowledge if you use your time to do things. You will notice people around you who are still on the alcohol roller coaster ride and you will not feel part of that group. You got to move on.......

i am babbling..

take care
Old 02-04-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds like a pretty typical experience actually.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

It took my body and mind quite a while to begin feeling "normal." Like Kjell said, I've gone over 10 months without a drink, and some days are good while others are bad.

But these days, I have much fewer bad days than I used to. Heck, looking back, pretty much every day I was drinking was a bad one. But I've learned how to deal with the issues that get me down, and most importantly, my outlook on life is entirely different than it was 11 months ago. I view everything about myself, the world, other people, and my life in a totally different way than I used to. It's been a long process, and I feel like I'm just at the beginning of it, and I can't way to see what's next.

Hang in there. Get through the withdrawals, get the alcohol out of your system, and start working on a new way to live your life. I found that I would always want the alcohol unless I changed the way I looked at it as well as my life.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"It's not all gonna be rainbows and puppies in sobriety."

Kjell...you can be such a buzz kill!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi IrishEyes88...Welcome

I was told early on in sobriety -by my sponsor- about bearing the discomforts of life even through the most trying of circumstances. He said and I quote......"Bear the discomfort and the comfort will come". Okay....it rhymes…Now...how does that help me, so I thought. It has...and the funny part is, it will...If you allow it too. Whatever comforts you and brings joy to your life despite the anxieties the tend to overwhelm us from time to time is a good start. Focusing our attention elsewhere and dedicating our time to more meaningful and pleasant experiences rather than our minor inconveniences helps restore proper balance during the emotional benders of life. For example...I love to listen to music and talk to other sober alcoholics through forums like this one. I also write poetry and have numerous hobbies; all of which have the capacity to take my mind off the problem and allow the healing words -of my sponsor- bear the comforts once again. Time heals all wounds, so give time "time"

~God Bless~
Move a muscle and change a thought...
Old 02-05-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think you also have to consider that it is tough to separate physical withdrawal from psychological cravings.
My worst day was day 5 or so when it got to the weekend. Even though I'm fairly certain there was nothing going on as far physical withdrawal from alcohol, the psychological craving didn't feel "just in my head" in the moments it was happening.
Have to keep in mind the cravings are going to come until you have adjusted your behavior and even once you have adjusted it takes a bit of time.