Notices

Assess my Withdrawals (long)

Old 02-03-2011, 10:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Assess my Withdrawals (long)

Detox clinic isn't an ideal option.

I'm 26, only been drinking heavily for one year, and that was in three bouts lasting a month. Before this most recent bout I was completely sober. Only one had minor withdrawals.

I just want to know whether it will get worse again from here. Am I coming out of the wood? How many of you have done no detox clinic?

I passed out for about 3 hours at what I can guess was 8 or 9 in the evening. I woke up, vomited most of what I had drunk in the last part of the binge (about 4 days of continuous solid but coherent buzz). I stayed awake in bed, drinking water, eating crackers, taking vitamins and realizing that hell was upon me. I made it to the shower. Managed to wash myself completely, get dressed presentably, and get on the bus for work.

It's 20F out, and I realize I don't feel cold. I walk in, suddenly I'm having the worst panic attack of my life (and I have Panic Disorder and GAD), I start to sweat. I also start to walk out looking for a quiet place in the halls. My sweat now pours in sheets. Like I have never sweated in my life (and I'm from the South). I notice I'm now just wandering, then go to the nearest quiet bathroom and lock myself in a stall. I crouch down and begin to drift in and out of consciousness and feel my head bobbing and my eyes closing. What's this? Black and white westerns on the back of my eyelids. I think this lasted only a few minutes, but I wasn't really sure. I snap out of it and make it back to the bus to head home, the anxiety rapidly subsides. I go into the bathroom when I arrive back and notice suddenly that white noise (heater, vent fan) now has music playing over it, very quietly. Shut the white noise source off, music goes away. Hmmm.

Lay on the couch, turn on the tube and feel my strength start to rapidly increase. It's maybe noon by now. Still able to eat and get down water with ease. Very minor, occasional visual disturbances. A little tick or eyecatching flash here or there, I have no problem laying with my laptop, typing emails, browsing the web.

My roommate gets home (he knows what's going on, I warned him), we relax, we're able to have lively conversation. As I continue to hydrate, my coordination improves, I'm not sluggish.

At this point, I don't even feel hung over anymore. Just a little zonked from being so tired. In fact, I'm really tired, which I thought wasn't a normal symptom. No nausea, a lot of heartburn though from the bit of puking I did. I had one beer to see if I could taper to ward off future issues, but couldn't keep it down, even though I can eat solid foods. Been up and around. No problems.

Disturbances are few and far between. Once an hour or two I'll catch a tiny glint. Still music in the bathroom occasionally. All of which continue to grow less frequent.

Am I coming around the bend? Is there a crushing rock involving bats and snakes ahead after another few hours/days without a drink?

Thanks to anyone who reads this rock bottom personal hell. Abstinence it is now.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community....

There is simply no way to predict about de tox symptoms.
For instance....
I did have audio hallucinations ....but no panic attacks

There are too many variables to consider.

Here is a link with info and some of our experiences...
but it's always good to talk with your doctor...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Good to know you are heading into a sober future
Old 02-03-2011, 11:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Hopefully your roommate will stay there to keep an eye on you.

No medical advice here .......................

I can only tell you what happened to me, AFTER I got where you are at the moment ............................. after I thought I was through the worst, I went into seizures and my heart stopped. They spent 8 hours in the ER over and over getting my heart started, for me to go into seizures again and my heart to stop. Finally after the last bout and 28 minutes of trying to restart my heart the ER Dr was writing the TOD on my chart when my heart started on its own.

I cannot guarantee that will happen for anyone else, therefore I always tell everyone that detox from alcohol can be DEADLY.

Please don't do this alone, have someone with you so that they can call 911 if necessary.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 02-04-2011, 04:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks folks.

This morning my worst symptom is my scorched esophagus from all the heartburn. I haven't noticed any more voices, no jumping specks. Head is fine aside from being so tired. Heart/pulse has felt fine through the whole thing.

I started taking Valerian as well.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No medical advice here either, but everyone's symptoms are different.

I've been most recently sober almost two weeks now, and am still feeling somewhat tired and lethargic. I had no scary symptoms...shaky, itchy, nauseated and achey for several days but that passed.

I wouldn't rule out talking to a doctor if you have any more unusual symptoms, though. All the best with sobriety...apart from being a bit tired, I feel much better sober!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh here's a new one. TV in the den has voices of friends talking trash about you. When it's muffled to the right volume by the bedroom door. I have to keep my room tv on all the time, then it drowns to the wrong volume. All the other distinct symptoms are now gone, even heartburn. I also just managed to get a really deep power nap in that was beaaaautiful.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Valarian can give you very vivid, strange dreams.

ALSO, very important that your doctor knows how often and how much you take of it...because it has certain side effects..I don't remember exactly what, but I know it is important to avoid taking it if you have surgery scheduled...some type of contraindication to Anesthesia???

(for me, it can give me lower GI upset, like too much fiber)
Old 02-04-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Valerian can also interact with other medication.

Listen Chriss if this is happening to you
TV in the den has voices of friends talking trash about you. When it's muffled to the right volume by the bedroom door. I have to keep my room tv on all the time, then it drowns to the wrong volume
hallucinations are never something to ignore.

I hope you'll get some professional medical help.
D
Old 02-05-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Finally slept. Nearly 13 hours. This morning all mental symptoms are gone aside from the on and off anxiousness. Now I just feel nauseous with a giant energy crash. Sipping on ice cold ginger ale.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As anxiety is also a medical issue...please consult a professional.

You are still in the initial de tox phase ...be gentle and try to relax.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When i was recovering from a bender i would wake up with my inner voice saying random words in my head like i was reading a story but making no sense then they would go away once the hangover/withdrawl wore off.....but after one bender too many i have this random chatter in my head every morning when i wake up and sometimes during the day...when im sitting idle..probably stuck with it for life now .....
Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Today's symptoms. After several days of no, ah, "movement", the diarrhea has kicked in. Be gone, toxins!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You should be feeling better, soon.

Remember to stay hydrated--diarrhea can dehydrate you fairly quickly.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Lexie. I've read a lot of people talking about the 100 hour mark. Mine will be sometime today.