Notices

1st Try Didn't Work

Old 02-04-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
I'm curious why you believe you're more powerful than your alcoholism? That you CAN do this, as you say.

Is this based on some success you've had not drinking in the past before drinking again?

Or is it just a feeling that despite what you repeately experience, the actual reality is something other than the reality of many years, just not appearing at this time or any time in the past to be so but is actually true in some way that you cannot detect, yet sense is much more real than what you actually experience in the real world?

Or do you feel that deep inside you is the latent and as yet untapped power to get beyond the 4 day mark and into the realm of the week and a half range of sobriety before drinking yet again?

I'd agree with you there. Just try really hard this time.

Before doing all the AA stuff, I made weeks and even months completely sober here and there. Tapping the latent power within myself and doing a bunch of treatment programs and various swearing off techniques enabled me to hit those drinkless distances. But I always drank again, unfortunately.

Otherwise I'd not have gotten involved in AA in '82, which has worked well since.

Give it your very best shot this time, and see what happens.
Thank you for the advice.

I don't think I'm more powerful than my alcoholism by any means. I think I can get through these crappy symptoms that the beginning brings, because I have to. Telling myself I cant get through this special hell that is detox isn't going to get me anywhere.

Managing my alcoholism going forward is a different ballgame.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For sure detox is lousy. Thinking back I count going through the intitial 4 days at least a few hundred times in the 16yrs I drank.

You can do this.

Many of us do it often over the course of many years. Gotta say as hard as it is to go through detox for all of us it's a complete cakewalk compared to staying sober even a few months.

Hope you get the chance to see what I mean. Alcoholism is seriously a bitch to recover from, even with doing a bunch of stuff and getting a lot of help. Damn few get even a few years reprieve.

Agree that telling yourself you can't do it on your own is a self-fulfilling prophesy. Better to know that you absolutely can make it a few weeks or perhaps a couple of months if you really try very hard, anytime you want to endure that badly enough.

I just got tired of putting myself through that often. Gets very old very quickly. When I was 28 I wanted to find a way to last without another drink, and to not give it much thought or struggle. AA's proven to be that kind of solution for me for almost 29 yrs, without needing to drink or drug.

Might be something to keep on the back burner, if you ever get tired of the fight.