Notices

advice

Old 02-01-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

advice

I don't know if I am or am not alcoholic. I just know I had a problem with alcohol and the best thing to do is stay away from it.
That being said, I moved back to my own house after an abusive releationhsip, which puts me right across the street from my mother again. My mother in the past drank large amounts of alcohol, like a big bottle of vodka a day. she landed herself in the neurological unit of a major hospital and the dr's told me she had brain damage typically attributed to alcohol. She proclaimed to quit drinking then.
In the last year, she has been commited 3 times for weird behavior. I assumed it was because of the past damage. She also lives on a limited income and has been getting money from me, which she told me was for food. On moving back down here, I find out, she's LYING! She's still drinking vodka every day is drunk by 11 AM. I dont know if the dementia is acute alcohol withdrawal, b vitamin defieciency or dementia but she acts nutty and hallucinates when she drinks and for a few days afterwards, then normal when she runs out of money for alcohol. I have stopped giving her anything but food. Anything else I can do? the 3 times she has been commited, she lied about her drinking. I know this because I have power of attorney. If she gets commited again, I will tell them what I know this time. this whole thing has been so aggravating. god let that never be me. when I talk to her about it, there is complete denial that she did what i saw her do, and complete denial alcohol is causing her these problems. she does however wonder why no one will speak to her.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Wow... That SUCKS. It must be really hard to have to worry about your mom like that.
I'm glad you had the sense to realize alcohol was a problem for you, and that you should steer clear of it.
Remember that we cannot control people, places and things. Do the best you can to help your mom without enabling her. I agree that you should be honest if she is committed again.
Welcome to SR, and good luck!