Notices

I see the difference....

Old 01-29-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
High on Life

I see the difference....

Tomorrow I will be doing another Marathon, and I just see such a difference in my training now compared to when I was drinking. No, lost days of training, because I was on some stupid binge, no injuries, and I'm in the best shape of my life. It hasn't always been easy, but it has definitely been worth it.

Hoping to clock a good time and qualify for the Boston Marathon.

I don't feel like my life is one big contradiction now. People would always question how I could work out so hard and then consume so much drugs and alcohol. I didn't have an answer for them, I didn't know how else to live.

Tomorrow will also be 5 months for me, what a great present to myself.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Congrats on 5 months - almost half a Y E A R!!!
Best of luck with your marathon tomorrow TheEnd! Please let us know how it goes!

I hope you don't mind if I take part in your happiness and share a fitness story with you that I've only recently discovered.

In college my nickname was "Roidboy" and "The Hulk" because I was always able to pack on serious muscle in record time even though I was drinking heavily. Accusations of being on steroids despite having never used them (some even refused to belief I was natural) were commonplace. One of my closest friends to this day said to me when I stopped lifting to drink full time, "Dude, what are you doing??? You're sitting on a goldmine." I didn't care because I was in the throes of addiction.

I know what you mean about seeing the difference in your training without the booze!!! I'm gaining size and strength in such little time and large amounts that it even blows my mind... and I see myself everyday.

This is one of my favorite articles on drinking and bodybuilding if you're interested...

Bodybuilding.com - Bodybuilding & Alcohol: Do They Mix? - David Robson

Thanks for letting me share and don't forget to let us know how it goes TheEnd! Kick some major butt out there tomorrow!!!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Super....well done on your progress....
Old 01-29-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by Untoxicated View Post
In college my nickname was "Roidboy" and "The Hulk" because I was always able to pack on serious muscle in record time even though I was drinking heavily. Accusations of being on steroids despite having never used them (some even refused to belief I was natural) were commonplace. One of my closest friends to this day said to me when I stopped lifting to drink full time, "Dude, what are you doing??? You're sitting on a goldmine." I didn't care because I was in the throes of addiction.
I know what you mean, I get the accusations of being on steroids and the whole nine. I'm also an accomplished powerlifter and can lift huge amounts of weight. I have good definition that has gotten even better since I quit drinking and I'm in the process of trying to get into fitness modeling.

I love that article you posted, I used to read it all the time and try to minimize the seriousness when I was actively drink. Now I just realize how true it was.

I hope I never drink again, I'm at the peak of my life, I have the rest of my life to ruin my health. Just got to keep looking at all the positives and benefits.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
I have good definition that has gotten even better since I quit drinking and I'm in the process of trying to get into fitness modeling.
Dude, that's AWESOME! A year ago I was Mr. Fatty McHeavypants and just last weekend I went to an Abercrombie modeling shoot! Sobriety rocks man, SOBRIETY ROCKS!!!

I'm sending you a friend request...

Keep up the good work. Woohoo!
Old 01-29-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

you are a magnificent example of how if you just keep perservering, anything is possible. what a far cry you are from when we all read your first post. congrats.....what a miracle. good luck in the marathon although i doubt you'll need it.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
High on Life

I finished the Marathon in 3hr 30 mins, I missed qualifying for the Boston Marathon by 20 mins, but I'm still happy with my accomplishment, I bested my time last year by 50 mins.

It just shows what an alcoholic can do when they put the plug in the jug.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Cool!

Thanks for the update.