Notices

2000- 2011?

Old 01-29-2011, 02:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2000- 2011?

i didn't drink in high school. i don't know why--- i just didn't feel like it. I had a few drinks here and there but I never induldged like kids normally do.

then i went to college...drank a ton. It was as if someone from above was telling me to stop, that it was not for me. that it HURT me. I would vomit the next day after 4 drinks. Yellow bile. I would pee myself. I remember at the time, thinking, this isn't happening to my friends....this isn't good. but I kept it up.

now, 10 years later, things are fine. I'm okay. but I know I'm not. I need to stop. I am so good at hiding things I could keep this up for another 20 years but I know it is taxing on my body.

should I go to AA? I want to....but I want a small group, not this huge room of people. I just can't start out that way.

any tips?
Old 01-29-2011, 03:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

You can fool yourself, as well (sometimes better) as other people. Do you really think they don't know? What's important is what you know, and the conviction to change what is not right. I did fool myself for another twenty years, you don't have to.
My limited experience with AA; if you don't like one group, you can find another.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your not alone in ur fears
and feelings because I have
them too.

Hi Im Sharon. I am an Alcoholic.

By the grace of a Power greater
than I, I havent found it necessary
to pick up a drink of alcohol since
8-11-90.

For that and you here in SR I am
truely grateful.

If I went to any lengths to get
my alcohol which included going
to a club filled with strangers,
or a grocery store filled with
customers, then I could and
would go to any lengths to
go to a meeting to hear the
message of hope.

To recieve the tools and
knowledge of my drinking
and learn how to live a happy
joyous life free from the
bondage of alcohol.

SR has been an added tool
I often use in my recovery
to share my own experiences
strengths and hopes of what
it was like before during and
after alcohol.

Its coming here to SR to read
and get suggestions from others
with similar situations as I and
knowing I am not alone and never
have to go thru anything in life
alone again.

I get what I need in meetings to
help me stay sober one more day
and leave the rest. Plain and simple.

It's possible to accumulate a many
one days at a time like I have just
by living life one day at a time.

There's awesome support here in
SR and Im glad you are here with
us.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ninth, I had the local AA chapter phone number programmed into my phone for several months before I ever went....my first meeting was last Sunday. You can probably find contact phone numbers on your local AA website. I finally called and talked to someone, told her I was terrified, and she was really nice, gave me a rundown of nearby meetings and what they were generally like. my first meeting was maybe a dozen people (I posted about it here if you want to look it up.)

I've been going since, people are very welcoming. The largest meeting so far there was maybe 25 people. Everyone is really nice, and there was a first-day new person at last night's meeting so I no longer felt like the rank beginner.

Just going to a meeting doesn't mean you have to commit to anything. That choice is yours alone. I'm still very new to the whole AA dynamic but it seems that everyone I've met makes it a point not to pressure or instruct newcomers. Which was good because my first meeting I was massively hungover and very shaky, I didn't say much and didn't feel pressured to say anything at all.

This was a helpful read for me too:

Your First AA Meeting<

You'll never know whether it's a good idea for you or not if you don't check it out. It may not be your thing and that's OK, but worth a try IMO.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I just shared info for you on your other thread here in alcoholism.

Included in the link was the official AA site
you might find it useful to read about AA.

For me...it's an awesome way to live well and sober.
It can be for you too...
Old 01-29-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

I think it is possible that others don't know. I'm still convinced that no one knew about me. My own boyfriend of 8 years didn't know, and we lived together for 2 years! But that is not importany. YOU know you have a problem and need to quit. You don't want to keep it up for 20 more years. Life can be better. I would start with AA and see how you feel. Most of the meetings I went to had 10 to 15 people, but somehave 40 or 50. It doesn't really matter because you could just go to a few, see what it is all about, get a feel for the group, etc., before sharing. I mean they will ask if there are any newcomers, and you should raise your hand and introduce yourself, but you don't have to do any more than that if you don't want. They will take over...the women will likely get a newcomer packet and some phonr numbers for you. Some may talk to you afterward. They should make you feel welcome and not alone. Good luck!