Notices

Unemployable? Unable to work?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unemployable? Unable to work?

Recently I have joined the workforce again with a part-time job, I hope to ease my way back to full-time gradually. This is coming off 5 years of virtually non employment. (had a few jobs under three months in length before I either got the sack or quit)...

Anyone got their stories of hope and experiance with working sober after becoming unemployable through drinking? How long did it take to get back full time and how many years/ months sober before you could hold a job and not get too stressed and become comfortable again within the workforce?

Best regards - WN
Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, I don't have any personal experience with re-entering the workforce, but I'd suggest doing as much as your comfortable with, if you can afford to. Believe in yourself and you'll be fine. Good luck!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
at peace

Well, your chances of holding a job are increased by staying sober. My last job I failed to show up because I over slept from being hung over. Absolutely detested the job but if I wasn't drinking heavily before my shift I probably would still be working there. Fortunately I found a job I like much better and you know what....? I found it by looking and working hard and being sober. I'm only on my 18th day sober bty
Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know for me having a job is something that seems to help me be sober. It keeps me busy, keeps me away from alcohol for that time of the day. I find that I dont think about the triggers that made me drink when I am at work. This may not be the same for you. I feel like the part time job is a great way to ease in and you ll get a better idea for yourself soon enough. Best of luck to ya
Old 01-27-2011, 10:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My experience does not exactly match the topic..but...

I needed a career change to protect my early fragile sobriety.
As a drinker...I'd worked for years in the hospitality industry
surrounded by booze and drinkers...fast cash...late hours.

I took an office position.....less stress ..less money..regular hours.
A vit of paid OJT....and I settled in ..worked there for 3 years
until I relocated....

Yes...I left sober too...with money tucked away...

hope you enjoy your new job whatevername
Old 01-27-2011, 11:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Anyone got their stories of hope and experiance with working sober after becoming unemployable through drinking? How long did it take to get back full time and how many years/ months sober before you could hold a job and not get too stressed and become comfortable again within the workforce?
I'll give ya a quick overview of my experience.

I "was" a certified welder for many years (14 yrs to be exact) and had a good paying job. I ended up losing it due to my drinking. I'll never forget the day I was "let go", my boss called me into his office and told me I was a good worked and a great guy "When I was sober" but when I was drinking I was "undependable' and he had to let me go.

I lived off unempolyment for a year and drank as much as I could, my way of dealing with it. Finally when I got sober I looked for a job and couldnt find one(job market in Michigan sucked) so I actually started my own small business.

That was a few years ago, now today I still run my business and I'm constantly buisier than I ever dreamed. I'm not rich by any means...but I can pay my bills and but things whenever I want them. And I know full well there's NO WAY I could do this if I was still drinking ya know. It just would not happen because I would never be where I am now if I was drinking.

So all I can say is Stay sober and stay working hard man. Because it WILL pay off in the end. It don't matter how many times you messed up jobs in the past. If you really work hard and stay sober, any job you have now you will succeed.

Congrats on the new job, hope you like it and it works out for ya!

Steve
Old 01-28-2011, 03:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Oddly enough I posted a snippet of my story the same day you asked for stories. It can be found here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ews-today.html

I won't reiterate what's written there but I'll add, as DayWalker mentioned, I'm in the process of starting my own business and writing a book in an effort to supplement and one day replace my current income.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was working in a factory for 5 years doing shifts and had to leave because of my drinking. Was missing too many days towards the end and just left after a 3 day bender. My personality had changed and i was becoming very withdrawn and felt very isolated from the people i usually had fun with and was becoming very snappy with people and felt like people were always against me so i left. It was all in my head but the drink had me by the balls. For the next year i had a few jobs here and there and tried to sort me drinking habits out by cutting down bla bla bla.....finally got a job in a call centre. Started it and began to get into the swing of it but the drinking was still there and started to feel very uncomfortable in my skin again and went on a two day bender and left that job because my head just didint fell right.. sooo..i gave up the drink completely and after two months sober im still not working but im feeling alot more confident in myself now and feel very happy in my own skin and im trying to find a job everyday and keeping myself positive. I was border line with the drink and think i caught it just in time.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dismember

I feel that I am ready to get back into the workforce (currently working three p/t volunteer jobs, so I am getting close.) But what made me ready was that once I dried out, I started to work on the other complications that either lead me into drinking or were caused by drinking.

A big part of that for me was working on my psychiatric issues. That was difficult and it was probably a good year and a half before I started to feel like I had a handle on my illness as well as my addiction, and could be a normal-functioning person again. That was ironically also the same time Social Security finally approved my disability application.

But no, it does happen but I am sure times may vary. The thing that I have found among people all over the recovery community is that once we do get a little stable in ourselves in again, we seem to just naturally feel a stronger commitment to our jobs and to our own sense of career. I reassessed what I really wanted to do, and so much time being unable to work (or work well) has given me a greater appreciation just for the value of work itself.

So sending you lots of positive thoughts for you in your new job. It was a little worrisome getting back into the swing of it for me, but... man... it feels REAL good.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh boy. Talk about a God-thing. I really , really needed to see this today. Ironically today was also the first time in years I had been to an AA meeting. I did that because I need to start showing proof of meeting attendance if I ever want to get my drivers license back before they deny me it fromn old-age (haha!).

I have not worked since May of 2010. At that time I worked a call center job and had to quit because I neede to go to Europe to take care of a family property there for my father. So I have been back in the states since late October....and have applied at a couple of places but no luck.

I am hoping to go back to school in the fall to obtain a nursing degree. I have a crappy work history and also had a bad check charge on me in the past that was reduced to a "attempted larceny from a building" charge...but still looks crappy and it seems that people don't give you a chance once they see that...even though it is over 10 years ago.

On top of that, I still have old tickets from 2007 I need to clear up and may end up doing jail time for them. I need to just buck up and go in.

Scared....sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread....sorry for rambling.

There is more but I'll just stop here...
Old 01-28-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I lost 3 jobs in 3 years due to my drinking. I was a horrible drunk who missed work and showed up drunk and continued to drink on my lunch hour. I kept thinking I could handle it, but of course, couldn't and the results were disastrous. I was so ashamed, but the reality was...not having to work, I had more time to drink. I was unemployed for 2 years and my drinking escalated. It was the worst time in my life, but also the best thing that ever happened. I hit my bottom and desired, needed, sobriety. I found unemployment to be the the biggest blow to my security in every way. Of course, I created a financial wreckage that took years to clean up and for me, unemployment was a huge blow to my psyche. I never noticed how often I was asked "what do you do for a living" while I was unemployed.

I live in a small town and didn't know how I would ever be able to prove myself as a valuable, responsible employee ever again. I ruined my reputation on my own and was so ashamed and embarrassed by the path alcoholism lead me.

I was sober 6 months when I re-entered the work force. I was so grateful for a second chance and I vowed I would prove myself and be a responsible, reliable employee. I worked for 6 six years and just lost my job due to budget cuts. The good news is...I was picked up by another employer immediately because I had a good reputation as a hard worker and friendly demeanor.

I worked for an institution within an institution. In other words, everyone knows what your are doing and how you work with others. I try to live like eyes and ears are everywhere watching and listening. That mind set has paid off.

I just had my last day at work and had such support and appreciation for my contribution from my fellow co-workers. When it comes to budget cuts, logic doesn't play a factor on whether you are a valuable employee or not. I know I did a good job and understand the decision was business. I was not the only one who's job was eliminated. There were 3 of us total and I don't think they are done making cuts yet.

I'm grateful to be given a chance by my new employer. Unemployment has a horrible connotation to me reminding me of the worst time in my life. There are second chances and life does go on. I owe this all to being sober. Once thinking I could never prove myself or reestablish myself, I'm grateful to say I have achieved it. It can be done if you work on your recovery and stay sober.

I have been through tough times and have managed to get through them without drinking. I know that if I ever start to think I can manage my drinking, I will lose everything I have worked hard to establish. Drinking isn't worth risking anything to me and I'm grateful for each sober day. I have been given great hope and faith that doing the right thing pays off in the long run.

Good luck! You can do this! Keep the faith!
Old 02-08-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How Long Did It Take

This is month 6 of a call centre job. It has been tough at times to relearn things like showing up on time and following instructions and being consistent. Although I was still drinking when I started work there and there was a time when I did drink at work. Although I am on day 4 sober. I told my employers about the issue and they have given me some leeway.
It took about 4 months but my supervisor told me that I am a good CSR and he was thinking of recommending me of another position.
It took 3 months before I felt okay with getting up and going to work every morning. That said, working and earning a paycheque was a wonderful feeling. I had my budget all made up and being able to contribute to the household expenses and not having to beg for money for gas or anything else I needed to get. It felt good to start paying off my debts and more importantly to have money to go back to school. I think being able to afford to go back to school is by far the best thing ever. Having a job meant that I had the resources to be able to start moving forward with my life and that is encouragement to get sober. When I feel like doing something to risk my job like drinking I just try to remind myself of why I need to get sober and how hard it has been to even get to this point.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

By the Grace of God I've remained employable throughout going downhill, hitting bottom (which includes two duis and two totalled cars), and then getting sober.

...but I lost a career in the process and I make 1/2 of what I used to make (not to mention all the perks, traveling, expense account, manager, etc...).

Since I've been sober though, I've never done more with less. It's amazing. My ego got in the way BIG TIME early on, but then AA removed that for me and now I'm in a whole different realm of acceptance, understanding, and purposeful direction.

As soon as I've completed my probation requirments and I have no restrictions on my driving, I'll be looking for a better job than I have now and something tells me "this time around" is gonna be different.

GREAT job getting back to work and keep faith. It'll work out if you work for it.

Kjell
Old 02-08-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi whatevername. I have been in a new job less than 2 weeks. I am finding it is a different thing all together sober. I remember almost everything told to me. I am a fast starter in the mornings. I don't dread coming into work. Thats the good news.

I guess the bad news (if you could call it that) is that I've also noticed that no matter where I work expectations tend to be unrealistic. I can't do my job in 8 hours. Its just not possible. So already I am working through lunches and taking work home with me. I'm ok with that though. I want success. I want success more than almost anything in this world right now. My dad is very successful by anyone's standards, and I am blessed to have been told that he loves me no matter what I do (or don't do). I want to follow in his footsteps though and I can't do that drunk, or even sober and doing a half-a job at work. I've got to believe in myself.

I asked my Dad why he never ever talks about the negative side of work. The stuff I see - some people at work want you to fail for one. He said that he always looked at himself like Rocky. When he got knocked down, he would get back up and get in the ring again.