Notices

Man, it really does happen

Old 01-26-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Man, it really does happen

Time doesn't guarantee sh*t, other than the time you've already got. Had a fellowship member pick up the bottle after 21 years sober the other day. Wow. His GF (15 years clean and sober) was pretty distraught. It's a reality check. If you don't keep your recovery first and foremost, it can and does happen, though this is the first time I have personally seen it happen to someone with so much time (though I know it happens, I hear about it) Man, it is hard to believe. I thought he was crazy at times, but this explains a lot-- he has been BSing for a while now. Sad.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers going out for all who still suffer

Yes...vigilance is vital if one is to remain sober...
Old 01-26-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is a saying that goes" the further you are from your last drink, the closer you are to your next one". Which is why we take this program one day at a time. There is not guarantee that we will not drink tomorrow, not matter how many days we have sober.

Prayers to him that he gets back on track.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He's back in the rooms now apparently, though he wasn't at last night's NA meeting-- I think he's sticking w/ AA for now since he relapsed on alcohol, not dope. I feel bad for his GF though-- I hate being lied to! She is strong though, and will not let this affect her recovery. He is back at sobriety, though. I am hoping this brings about a more rigorous application of his program, that's all I can say.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

There is a saying that goes" the further you are from your last drink, the closer you are to your next one
speaking as a recovered AA alcoholic of 21 years
I disagree. I know I will not return to drinking.

Yes....I do daily connedct with God and I live the STeps.
...that's what I call one day at a time.,,and being Vigilant..
Old 01-26-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Another point that comes to mind is why it is so important to place our sobriety with our higher power, NOT in another member. People are human, and can fail at anytime. I hope this doesn't shake your sobriety.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

What we did yesterday for our sobriety is great and shouldn't be discounted, but it's what we do today that will ensure our sobriety for today.

That's sort of life in general, isn't it? How many people do you know that think they've got life figured out and stop learning and growing and turn into "A-holes" and wonder why they're always fighting everything?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was sober over twenty years before I "forgot" where I came from and started drinking wine "to relax". It can happen to any of us, which is why I now keep my sobriety first in my life, before anything else. And remind myself daily of the dangers of 'forgetting' where I came from lest I end up right back in that hellhole again.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by least View Post
I was sober over twenty years before I "forgot" where I came from and started drinking wine "to relax(
I didn't know that Least. What a story and I'm very happy you were able to get sober again.

You're a big part of SR and I'm very thankful you're here with us.

Kjell
Old 01-26-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Your right...Sobriety is a gift, so cherish it.

I heard a story - one time- about a man who had 33 years sober and then relapsed; after a flood destroyed all his possessions in a blink of an eye.

He Didn’t hold onto the very thing that was more valuable than those possessions he lost in the flood; his sobriety on moment at a time. No one can determine how we would react to every situation, only God could; However One thing is sure; we must remain close to those individuals who can be our eyes, ears and a voice of reason when certain troubles overwhelm us.

I hope anyone who encounters similar events, will react with the mindset of a sober person, not with one still steeped in the ambiguous nature of this disease; including myself.
~God bless~

Think out a solution not a soliloquy.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Onewithwings View Post
Time doesn't guarantee sh*t, other than the time you've already got. Had a fellowship member pick up the bottle after 21 years sober the other day. Wow. His GF (15 years clean and sober) was pretty distraught. It's a reality check. If you don't keep your recovery first and foremost, it can and does happen, though this is the first time I have personally seen it happen to someone with so much time (though I know it happens, I hear about it) Man, it is hard to believe. I thought he was crazy at times, but this explains a lot-- he has been BSing for a while now. Sad.
We as sober alcoholics have to learn to live a lifetime of vigilance. Just don't drink today folks.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A member of my home group with more than a decade of sobriety relapsed before the holidays. He hung himself last Thursday night. Not to be a downer, but this isn't chicken pox, folks.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eddiebuckle View Post
A member of my home group with more than a decade of sobriety relapsed before the holidays. He hung himself last Thursday night. Not to be a downer, but this isn't chicken pox, folks.
Jesus, I am so sorry. For him, his family and everyone affected.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know an old-timer with almost three decades of sobriety. He carries around a coin with him all the time. The coin he carries around with him is one of those silver coins that say 24 hours. He says that is the most important coin since that is how recovery works. We just have to stay sober Just For Today.

Its unfortunate that people go back out who have achieved stable sobriety. However, it is always a miracle when they come back. The sad truth is that some never make it back once they pick up again.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I do believe that emotionally the further you are from your last drink the closer you are to your next drink... but it's more about emotional and spiritual maintenance than it is about time. It's why I keep reminding myself that if Jeff Van Vonderen from Intervention can relapse, then really, no one is immune.

We receive a daily reprieve contingent on our spiritual condition.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunrise1 View Post
I do believe that emotionally the further you are from your last drink the closer you are to your next drink... but it's more about emotional and spiritual maintenance than it is about time. It's why I keep reminding myself that if Jeff Van Vonderen from Intervention can relapse, then really, no one is immune.

We receive a daily reprieve contingent on our spiritual condition.
he relapsed?! Holy cow man!
Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

There sre also many who find lasting sobriety and die peacefully and soberly in their sleep. They are the opnes we should aspire to follow. Personally I find stories like this disheartening...id rather hear about the Carols of the world

Be hopeful..a positive attitude is everything!
Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Im Sharon. I am an Alcoholic.

That is exactly what I am. Today,
tomorrow, always.

As long as I am an alcoholic I
have to live like one. With an
acception.

An alcoholic in someones mind
means one that drinks accessively,
uncontrolable, gutter, fallen down,
obnoxious, lier, cheater and a laundry
list of other defects of character.

However, an alcoholic with a program
to live by and incorperates the tools
and knowledge of his alcoholism or
disease in his everyday affairs a day
at a time with a purpose in mind is
a sucessful recovering alcoholic.

Not recovered but recoverying
alcoholic like I am and have
been since August 11, 1990,
some 20 yrs of many one days
at a time collected together to
get me where I am today.

As long as I stay in today, not
worry about tomorrow which
may never get here and continue
to share my own experiences,
strengths and hopes with the
person still suffering from alcoholism
then I have a greater chance of
staying sober another day for yrs.
down the road with help and
guidance from the Man upstairs.

As long as I keep whats important
to me right in front of me and not
take anything for granted or become
complacant in my life and program
than I'll stay sober.

And that's how it works for me.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunrise1 View Post
It's why I keep reminding myself that if Jeff Van Vonderen from Intervention can relapse, then really, no one is immune
Who is he? The Grand Poobah of recovery? What makes him so special? We are all cut from the same cloth in sobriety. I never get surprised when someone with 20 years or 20 minutes goes back out, its what we do, and I need to remember that every day. Just sayin....
Old 01-27-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's rare, but happens. Out of a crowd of 100 20yr people maybe 7 flakey ones will drink again before dying. Take a crowd like that of 2 yr people and maybe 10 will be lucky enough to see 20yrs.

It's not the time that improves the odds, it's what the people do to get to those long terms, and the depth of their understanding about our condition.

We had a guy here who was sure he was cured after 21 yrs, sure he didn't need to do much of anything but coast, who blew his sobriety on taking a high octane remedy for a headcold (Cloisterfraumellisengheist) and wound up in a 3 week detox.

I didn't expect it, but he came back strong and recently put 2 yrs together. No idea if it's different yet for him, guess we'll see.