Notices

Need To Be Sober

Old 01-25-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need To Be Sober

im at a point in my life where im still young, but choosing to continue drinking will ruin my future, im 22, live with my parents, & want to pursue a career, ive been drinking everyday for the past year + more, there's not really any underlying reason, alcoholism is just a tradition in my family, & boy did i carry on those ways, i dont blame my parents, but growing up with 2 alcoholics (parents) has been very detrimental to me, & my sister (who's also starting recovery), anyways, this is my day 1, & im kind of restless, found this site, thought id post my thoughts
Old 01-25-2011, 10:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome scuba - Glad you're addressing your problem before it gets worse (which it usually does if we don't stop). Be careful with withdrawals, especially if you were a daily drinker. It's wise to get medical help.

This is a great place for support. I don't think I could have quit without it. Lots of terrific people with experience, strength and hope! You can do it too - keep posting and reading...
Old 01-25-2011, 11:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you, Steve. My kid got his alcoholism from my side of the family, came by it honestly. After a long stretch of some awful stuff he got sober at 20, nine years ago.

You'd not believe the changes it made, and I can hardly believe it too sometimes. Night and day from his old life. I got sober when he was 8 months old, and it's made the difference in having a quality life for me too. Worth the effort in spades.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Steve. And good for you.

My life would have turned out very differently had I committed to being clean and sober at 22 instead of almost 53...
Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

great decision. i just quit (again) 11/1/10 which was my 48th birthday. I TRUELY wish i would have never started or stopped when i was 22. you are doing the right thing!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

hi scuba. Welcome! You can do it.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Very smart of you to stop drinking now before it gets worse, much worse - and it always gets worse. Stopping now means you won't be making any bad memories to regret when you're older and won't have the risks that come with alcoholism; legal, mental, and physical/health. Good move on your part!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

sound just like me same age and want to get my career started, iv been stopped since sunday, good luck!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome......

Congratulations to you and your sister for looking for a better life.
Both of you can find your way and break the family cycle.

Thanks for joining our recovery community
Many of us are winning over alcohol...we can and do recover.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Scuba Steve - welcome!

I wish I would have had the courage and insight you do at the young age of 22. I was just getting started then, but I'm now 34 and I've been sober for over a year.

You never have to drink again. We can and do recover and you can be living proof of that.

BTW - your name reminded me of one of my favorite movies - "The Life Aquatic" by Wes Anderson.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support everyone, i appreciate it. Didn't get much sleep last night, & i dont really suspect it will get better for maybe a week or 2, everytime i try to get sober, the sleep pattern problems are one of my biggest hurdles, ive tried sleeping pills before but they just don't do it for me. Im going to just try staying busy, working out at the gym, & hopefully i can settle into a sleeping groove. Winter is so depressing because a lot of what i love to do includes sports & being outside. Anyways, il try to keep everyone updated as much as possible, have a great day!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It does get better...trust me. Good luck and God Speed...keep us posted on your recovery.
~God Bless...As Always~

Quiet your mind by settling your spirit...
Old 01-26-2011, 10:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey ScubaaSteve,
I can really relate to your post. I'm also 22, living with parents, both of them alcoholics, and I have a brother that went through exactly what I am going through right now. Quitting drinking being surrounded by alcohol all the time was hard for me. Rehab made it a lot easier, and staying busy. I really do hope that you stay sober
Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

welcome scuba to SR

it took a while after l got sober, about 2 weeks, before l could sleep properly.
sounds like you're doing the right thing and keeping busy during the day. If l couldn't sleep l just told myself
"what's the worst that can happen? you'll be tired tomorrow..big deal"
Good for you on getting sober while you're still young with your future layed out before you.

In order to change we must be
sick and tired of being sick and tired.
Author Unknown