Notices

Night Sweats...when do they end??

Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Night Sweats...when do they end??

ARGH!
I posted here a bit ago, unfortunately I had a relapse. However, that's it. I realized I was killing myself...and instead I've been making do with Gatorade mixed with water. Just sweet enough to mimic the wine I'd been killing myself with.

So now I am on day 5. I have had bad night sweats every night, along with the inability to sleep very well. Weird dreams, chills, sweats, constant waking.

When does this end? I HATE IT. However, I know that I am on the way to cleansing and purifying, and I love that part.

I also started taking Milk Thistle to try to cure the damage 2 years of heavy, daily drinking have done.

thanks!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please read this link with info ...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Checking with your doctor is always a wise move.
You may not need to take anything to improve your healing.

Welcome back...
Old 01-24-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I think about a week. Maybe less for me. That was when I came off really hard drinking back in march. I think drank less (but still most days) for another 6 mos and when I quit then I had no w/d at all.

But the horrific nightmares/sweating were a little less than a week, IIRC.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

I drank for 10 years solidly (taking a 3month break in 10 years and that's it). I had night sweats for 4 nights before they finally quit. Nightmares lasted around 6 days. That was it for me which is extremely lucky for how long I drank. This is just me but good luck with it. It will pass and it will get better.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Night-sweats and insomnia are normal during withdrawal in my experience. I think everyone is different, but mine lasted for about a week. I drank sleepytime tea to help with the insomnia (and read some really boring work-related stuff!). For the night-sweats, I just changed the sheets a lot.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Hi,

Mine lasted for more than a week, but can't remember exactly. I wouldn't be discouraged if they go on for longer since everyone is different. My sleep normalized a lot after a month or so,and is now much better than I can remember.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i think mine lasted about 4-5 days along with the insomnia...you should be at the tail-end and start sleeping better too. I can suggest keeping a fresh change of dry sleepwear by the bed and a towel to lay on to keep the bottom sheet dry...and keep the room cool.

one thing good about quitting was that my menopausal symptoms decreased drastically when i stopped drinking.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good news is they do end! I think I went through that for about a week along with not sleeping more then a few hours a night.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mine lasted about seven nights. The first five nights were really heavy.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had only 3 days of night sweats. What helped me was to take pills of Lorazeram when shakes were increasing
Old 01-24-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The good news is, that this is the last time you ever have to go thru this experience.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Night sweats are really rough.... I am still going through those when I start to with draw... It's terrible...I tried to detox myself it's not working....

Depending on how heavily you drank I would def. consider seeing a doctor or even going into a detox unit.

I am going in to a detox unit... I have to wait till after Thurs. since I have something I have to attend that day.

I was drinking a liter of liqour a day...

Good luck on your journey. A sober life is a better life.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Oh if you do still have them at this time.... Keeping the window open does help!!! I can not sleep unless it is cold in the room even then I only sleep for 20 minutes at a time. Then I wake up and go through it all over again.... I am sure everyone who posted above me is correct. But more so... What I would like to say everyone is different. So what could be 3 days for some could but a week for others. So just keep that in mind.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

3-4 days for me.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

For me, the insomnia only lasted a week, but the night sweats lasted for about 9 months...seriously...for me, they did last that long.

But you know, compared with hangovers, night sweats are NOTHING!!!!!

OTT
Old 01-25-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This may sound odd, but I took over the counter Estroven --- which is a natural dietary supplement for women to reduce the symptoms of hot flashes & night sweats due to menopause (no estrogen involved). Worked great for me when I quit drinking!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey ATB

Like others above had said I was also about 7 days of some nasty night sweats that would soak 3 pairs of PJ's each night as well the sheets. I can still remember that feeling when I would wake up soaking wet in the middle of the night and that RAW feeling all over my body and the smell... my god the SMELL

It gets way better after a week, so hang in there.