Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Feeling sick from withdrawing can I take a shot to feel better?

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

I just noticed I have a little less then a quarter of a liter of rum. I really feel sick. The last time I had a drink was yesterday and it was much less then I normally drink. And the day before that I limited myself to what I drank since I was going skiing the next day. I normally drank 1 liter of vodka a day. Within a 24 hour period.... I was sober for a few day previous to my last bottle and I felt the same sickness. It was unfortunate that something came around the home that made me drink.... That is going to come to an end I already spoke with my partner about it....

I weigh 130 (muscle not fat no offense to anyone just trying to give an honest description since I do not know how alchole effects certain body types) 5'4 and I am a 25 year old female... I do not want to drink anymore.... Since when I start to sober up I start to feel very sick. Like its on the bordline line of feeling like I am going to throw up but I don't feel so sick that I would. I just feel sick. And drinking helps that go away. I understand these are symptoms of withdrawl. But I do not have a drop of alchole in my body right now. So one would think I would not feel sick... Then there's the other side of the ball..... If I take that shot... I am going to want another. This is hard.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You are in the de tox stage....it takes more time to
rid your body of alcohol.

It's too dangerous to quit abruptly and alone.
Call your doctor for advice on how best to de tox.

Please read this for information

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Last edited by CarolD; 01-24-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Two words: medical detox. Withdrawal from alcohol can be very dangerous, even fatal. You need medical care.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-24-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Thank you for the information both of you. I do plan on going into detox as soon as I go to court on Thurs over visitations of my daughter. It's a long story. I never used around my daughter I just have to state that.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Missmycology, you need to see a doctor before Thursday.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking to make my w/d easier always ended up drinking too much and having to start over again. Whatever you do, don't drink to 'feel better' it will only prolong the misery. Get medical help to detox safely and comfortably. Once you're past the physical w/d, get some support to stay sober. Your health and happiness is worth the effort.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Hi,

I agree with those who say you need to see a physician. I understand you are waiting for Thursday, but that seems a long time from now, and early withdrawal can be very dangerous as others have said. If you are in withdrawal now, and you've been drinking at that level perhaps an ER is a good route to go?

I do understand the difficulty of the custody/legal issues, but your immediate safety needs to take a high priority now. Please be safe!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One shot will lead to another bottle of booze. I agree with the others seek medical help.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You will be detoxed before Thursday. At the very least call your doctor, he may be able to prescribe an anticonvulsant or an anti anxiety. But given your consumption, he will probably set you up with a real medical detox where you can be monitored by medical pros 24/7. The risk for strokes and seizures is very real.

As another said, one shot will probably lead to continued drinking, if you are an alcoholic. I am not saying take another drink to feel better. Personally, I have been in the same situation with as you have, with the quantity being consumed in the same time frame. I found that if I buy a half gallon, and I tell myself I am going to wean myself off over 4 days, that bottle is usually gone in the first day. I would tell myself just one to take the edge off, then its 3 or 4, then your buzzed, then your drunk and you don't care about detoxing anymore.

You really should't wait much longer, worst case scenario goto the emergency room if your symptoms worsen. In most cases, your withdrawal can be painless with the use of medication, with almost no dangers to your health. Otherwise, the risks are there, with the continued temptation to drink to feel better.

Also, In regards to your upcoming court date, if you need it to be postponed that is no problem. In the USA, medical supercedes the law, if you are too ill to appear. All you need to do is talk to your attorney or doctor, they will get the paperwork together and present it to the judge on the day of your appearance, instant continuation.

Good Luck
Old 01-24-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

On your other thread...you shared about your experience
in the ER but you did not say you told them about
your drinking or desire to quit.

Mixing Zanax with alcohol is very risky.

Hope you did not take that drink.