Notices

My Story Continues...

Old 01-24-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ras

My Story Continues...

History: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-my-story.html

Okay, I'm an alcoholic. I know that now. I don't want to stop drinking though. I moved in with my girlfriend a few months ago and tonight is the first night she has spent out in ages. And I'm glad she's out. Because I wanted to drink.

She doesn't mind me drinking but she would mind me like this. Finishing one bottle and moving straight onto the next. I have so much alcohol in my fridge, left over from Christmas, I can't keep track.

I recently lost my job. It was only a ****** Christmas job but I liked it. So here I am drinking again. I can go weeks without a drink but eventually I'll find myself in a pub at nine in the morning with a pint and my laptop and will stay there until closing time.

So yeah, I'm an alcoholic. And I need help I think, but I don't know where to start. Right now I've nearly finished a bottle of wine and I know I'll probably start on the Whiskey next.

What can I do to stop this? I don't want to feel like I want (need) a drink everytime I pass an offlicense or see a beer or a bottle of whiskey on TV.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Ras View Post
So yeah, I'm an alcoholic. And I need help I think, but I don't know where to start. Right now I've nearly finished a bottle of wine and I know I'll probably start on the Whiskey next.

What can I do to stop this? I don't want to feel like I want (need) a drink everytime I pass an offlicense or see a beer or a bottle of whiskey on TV.
You stop drinking. Follow that with a daily recovery from stopping drinking. Follow that with living a way of life that honestly supports your daily recovery. Follow that with being recovered.

Somewhere in all that simplicity your obsession will be removed and your won't feel like drinking no matter what happens or dosen't happen as long as you continue with a true daily maintenance experience for a reprieve from your alcoholism. For me that includes an essential life of spirituality. You may have different choices. Not a problem for making our recovery personal for any of us. Not a problem at all.

Best Wishes.

RR
Old 01-24-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by Ras View Post

You just stop drinking, I know it sounds easier than it is, but it's the only way to end the cycle. There are many options out there, therapists, AA, rehabs, other recovery programs, but they are there waiting for people like you who want to quit. You need to decide which one you need and go for it.