Notices

Makes No Sense

Old 01-22-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Makes No Sense

First post. Have a wonderful daughter sleeping soundly, and a great wife who happens to be pregnant with our 2nd, wondering why I am downstairs posting on the internet while finishing off a case of beer. Been drinking for many years. Only recently has it been making no sense!

I used to feel sorry for the people who needed to go to happy hour before going home to their families. Now I am one of them and I am left wondering when did this happen?

It is amazing how quickly a person can become a problem drinker without ever realizing it.

This alcoholism is a very slippery adversary. I think it is about time to stand up and fight it. Thanks to all posters. You have helped me realize my problem!
Old 01-22-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR 825elden

Yeah - addiction really resists rational thought a lot of the time. I look back to what I did and I shake my head...madness.

You'll find a lot of support here - good to have you with us!
D
Old 01-22-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Elden! Welcome. Alcoholism..sneaks up and bites you and before you know it you are caught up in the cycle. Hope to hear from you more. Congrats on the upcoming new baby!!
Old 01-22-2011, 10:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! It sure can sneak up on you. Of course, didn't help that I spent a long time pretending not to see it...

Glad you're reaching out. I found SR the day I quit drinking—hope it helps you has much as it helps me.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and your new life!

Imagine that the beer bottle in your hands is weilding a 2X4 and smacking you upside the head, for that's exactly what it felt like to me for many years. Then imagine that loving wife upstairs calling to you with that beautiful daughter asking if you'd like to feel the new baby kicking inside her, and then ask yourself if that beer is really worth it. If the answer is no, reach out and ask for help and you'll be amazed at the hands reaching back toward you. You are not alone.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. There is support here and hope, lots of it.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you joined us and are taking a pro active stance.
Welcome...

all my best to you and your family
Old 01-23-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 01-23-2011, 05:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Step one complete. And nobody had to get fired or divorced or dead. That's ALWAYS worth celebrating. Congratulations! Now, what's your plan?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm glad you found SR. There is a lot of good info here.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Oh I have been there so many times. Drinking alone with my family asleep. It's a horrible place to be but there is hope. Welcome
Old 01-23-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Now, if you drink again knowing it's a bad idea in your circumstances and not what you prefer to do, then you'll know you've got what I've got, which does not bode well over the long haul.

So, hope you make the moment stick.

Also, it's possible you posted this while in a blackout and may discover this epiphany of yours sometime down the road. Had some meaninful phone conversations with drunks who decided to hit meetings with me the next day, and when I arrived to pick them up, they'd no clue about it.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies, both supportive and cautionary.

The plan is to seek support, stay on this message board, and make recovery a full time pursuit.

I haven't enjoyed a good game on TV, successful day of work, a snowy night, gathering of friends, bushel of crabs, hanging Christmas decorations, trip on a boat, etc. without drinking beer for years. This is my biggest obstacle and fear; finding joy in the things I love to do without the booze.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

This is my biggest obstacle and fear; finding joy in the things I love to do without the booze.
I'm sure we can all relate. The thing is to take it s-l-o-w, one thing at a time. One day at a time. For now, just worry about keeping it simple and getting through the day sober. You can "add" things as you go along.

Some of the "firsts" I've had (like holidays, dinner with friends, weddings, etc.) were actually much more enjoyable (to my jaw-dropping surprise), and others were tough, but it's like anything else - you have to practice to be good at it!

Glad you're here!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Elden.

Like most here, I had the same fears. After many, many years of on and off again drinking/not drinking, I can honestly and truly say that in retrospect, my happiest, most productive and joyful times and experiences were when I was sober, not drunk.

It's taken me a very long time and a whole lot of hurt and failing and trying again to come to that realization. Hang in there.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yeah, I think you will actually find you enjoy them MORE when sober, just in a different way.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 825elden View Post

This is my biggest obstacle and fear; finding joy in the things I love to do without the booze.
I could have written your post about 10 years ago... seriously and for real.... I had to get some consequences before the bottom came up and hit me in the @ss... Wonderful wife, beautiful kids, finishing off the case of beer downstairs while surfing the web or whatever...

Good for you to see that there may be a problem. Maybe you can just quit drinking, and if you can, I suggest that you do.

Also like you, and nearly everyone else who ends up where you did, where I did... The question... How do I find joy in the all the things I love to do (basically everything) without the alcohol? It happened for me, not right away, and gradually, and in fits and starts.... but it happened.

If you find you cannot stop, and maybe it's more than problem drinking, you may need more than just posting here... If you feel worse after putting the booze down, well, look at some face to face support, a program of recovery... You've got so much to really live and be 100% there for. It would be a shame to miss it.

Keep posting and welcome to SR.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Elden, You are very wise to acknowledge your problem now. A wonderful wife, daughter, and one on the way. What a lucky man you are! Alcohol can take all that away in an instant if you let it. It is cunning, it is destructive, it is also selfish. Wants you all to itself. Wants you to lose your family, your home, even your computer. Next it wants your sanity and ultimately your very life.

Don't think for a minute it can't happen to you. I'm sure you've read posts here where alcohol has stolen many a good marriage and family.

I'm happy to hear your ready to stop drinking and fight to keep the wonderful life you've created. You'll find loads of support here. Good for you!

Best Wishes To You!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh, yeah, can I ever relate to that. Not just things I enjoyed, but routine stuff. How do I wash my car without a few drinks? How do I mow the lawn without a cold one waiting for me? How do I sleep? How do I....?

Guess what; it's not a big deal at all. In fact, all that stuff is way better. It was awkward and strange at first, for sure. Just give it some time. I can't tell you how awesome it was to spend the entire holiday season without a drink. The Christmas tree never looked better, and there was soooo much more joy in focusing on my daughter instead of pondering my next drink.

Welcome to SR. This community has been a pillar of my recovery!