Notices

Does GREEN Count toward my sober count?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does GREEN Count toward my sober count?

Like smoking grass?

Does that affect my alcohol sober count?

I am leaning towards no, but would like opinions.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

People quit drinking for different reasons. It all depends on if you want to quit everything that can be addictive or if you're just wanting to quit drinking alcohol. Some people want to quit all addictive substances, and some only had a problem with alcohol. I am the latter. I still smoke cigarettes and drink coffee and feel good about where I am regarding all that. Others might tell you you aren't truly sober unless you quit the pot, pills, caffeine, etc. It's pretty much a personal decision, IMHO.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If Marijuana doesn't completely control you I would say it really is your decision to make. However, if you are doing other highly addictive drugs like Cocaine or Heroin you may have a problem.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

IDK... I am going to take a little harder line Jeb... didn't I read about your experience the other nite, passed out in the snow, ER visit, high BAC... ??? sounds like you need to get your shiite together a little bit... smoking reefer isn't gonna help...

Maybe start getting a whole new life style, a sober one...

Hmm, I guess I am giving advice, rather than sharing my experience... but I am an old guy and I always hated pot...

Old 01-19-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had an experience much like yours Jeb - I nearly died...

since that day I resolved to live a different life and I've had a horror of putting anything in my body that might lead me back to that point...because the way I was programmed every drug or drink always started off the madness again....

Up til then I was pretty reckless in pursuit of getting high...nearly dying made me realise I wasn't actually made of titanium...and I had no 'off' switch like my friends.

My destiny was pretty inevitable when I looked at it like that.

It's worked out really well for me moving into recovery. I wish I'd done it sooner.
I hope you keep leaning toward the idea too.

D
Old 01-19-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I haven't smoked pot in years but I have seen quite a few posts where people say it is a trigger to drink. I guess you have to make the call..it is your life. But ..stoned or drunk..you are still under the influence. Well you asked and I will say that you are not sober if you still smoke pot.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I think if alcohol is your issue, and you can stay away from it, then occasional pot smoking shouldn't count against your sober time. As long as you aren't smoking pot daily, in place of drinking, then I don't think its the same thing.
A very good friend of mine has been sober for 2 years, but on "special occasions" if its around, she will hit it. She doesn't buy it, or smoke it regularly. I think it depends on the individual, and how strong their recovery from alcoholism is. She has never drank, because she smoked. However, if you feel like it will lower your defenses against alcohol, then I'd refrain altogether.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have about 6 months free from alcohol under my belt, but I still take Klonopin for panic disorder and consider myself sober. That's just me.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am still on the fence..I came back to say ..I just think it is switching out addictions. I know a guy that doesn't drink but is stoned out of his mind on occasion. It is like when you call in sick and need a doctor slip to return to work..and your wife works at the clinic and uses a stamp on the slip. You never went to the clinic..yet you have an excused absence. Anyway..it is just what I am thinking. You do what you think..
Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

IMO switching one recreational drug for another doesn't count as sobriety.

Note that I said RECREATIONAL drug. A prescribed psych med taken as directed is a different matter altogether.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

To me there is a difference between putting down the drink or being in recovery. Like I have read in other posts it really is up to an individual. I just know that when I was ready to quit I was so physically, emotionaly, & spiritualy bankrupt that I need a program of recovery! Not switching from booze to pot, and trust me if I thought that would work I would try and I did over and over. I have a soul sickness and so I need to seek spiritual help and I can't do that smoking weed lol. Everybody has their own journey though so if it works for you like the BB says our hats are off to you God know many of us have tried to use like normal users. (paraphrase) If you want to read more of what it says its in the book Alcoholics Anonymous Ch-3 More about Alcoholism. Peace
Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

It's up to you. I took a sleeping pill a month or two ago....didn't change my date. I know a girl in the program though (AA) who was also a pill addict and she was wacking down Benadryls for whatever reason....... she changed her date.

There's no clear cut answers that work 100% but I think we'd all agree that if a "pure" alcoholic (all they did was drink) decided to start shooting dope, it's time for a new date. Like Lexi said, it's a recreational drug taken to get take me out of the moment, to escape.....and that's what drinking was for me. If I smoked a joint tonight, I'd change my date (and I'm not an addict and don't belong in NA).

I wouldn't feel right saying I'm working the program and that I've found sobriety (being of sound mind and sound judgment) while I was smoking down.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
High on Life

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If you smoke every now and then and it doesn't make you want to drink, then more power to you. To me I never really had any problems with pot as far as negative consequences so I can see why someone would want to smoke it.

If it wasn't illegal, I might smoke it every now and then, but having to deal with the legal system again, just makes me want to stay away from anything illegal. I just don't feel like chancing it right now and I have been under the influence so long that it just feels good to be totally sober at the moment.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know a lot of people think of pot as some kind of more benign drug - it wasn't for me. I destroyed my life as completely on pot as I did on booze or anything else.

I see now I was the problem - not whatever drug was available to me at the time.

Personal experience aside - can we all please remember...this is a recovery website.
Our rule 2 states in part:

It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Thanks
D
Old 01-19-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

I also think it depends on the individual. I started smoking weed again, thinking that it would keep me from drinking. It didn't work. It made me want to drink more. So I stopped and haven't smoked since a few weeks before my sobriety date. Some people could probably do it, but I decided that being completely clean was the best route for me.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Keep the Faith
Old 01-20-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well I think the choice is up to you.

How about people that smoke cigarettes? Smoking kills more alcoholics than alcohol does. Should people that are addicted to nicotine reset their sobriety dates after each ciggy?

To me it is about healthy living. And to me that is giving up the booze, the smoking . . . all substances that I use to alter my mood that have a detrimental effect upon my health. Your mileage may vary.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

I've been know to indulge now and then but weed was something I could control. I could get some and it would last me for months and then I could go years without any at all and it was no big deal to me, even though I could get some whenever. For right now I'm trying to lay off everything. So I guess it's all relative.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Even though I was a chronic smoker in college, I went for years without smoking pot after I graduated. Like 8 years and then I'd smoke once, etc.

A few years ago I bought some with the intent of using it as a substitute for alcohol. Within a year I was smoking it every night on top of drinking. And noticing myself being twice as incoherent the next day.

So I'm going to stay away from it for a long time- until I feel like my head has totally cleared out, and then I'll decide. But at that point I'm guessing it won't be very attractive any more.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I have always heard this referred to as the marijuana maintenance program. In other words trading one escape for another. I don't know anyone who smokes pot who is not trying to get stoned or high otherwise what it the point of smoking it at all? When one drinks what are they seeking? A high or drunk. To me it is the same thing. I know I can not do either one. But that is just my humble opinion as I am sure there are things I do that others would not agree with either.