Notices

Does GREEN Count toward my sober count?

Old 01-20-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

How i view it is like this. I drank because I needed to change the way I felt, I needed some kind of escape from self. If I smoked pot it would be for the same reason. IF I have contented sobriety (which I do ) then I have no need for mind altering substances.
I have no opinion on other people ( in or out of AA ) taking pot.
It would block me from my HP and that is reason enough for me to avoid it.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

The good news is it's up to you.

The bad news is it's up to you.

"To thy own self be true"

Deep down, you already know how you feel about and if it's bothering you or not.

In AA we say "progress, not perfection" and I'm a true believer in that motto.

We all take different paths, but man o man, self honesty is CRUCIAL to our recovery. We simply cannot recover without it.

Kjell
Old 01-20-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I went on that "marijuana maintenance program". Been sober from alcohol for almost 7 months - but pot is ruining my life today. That being said, it doesn't seem like there's an actual "answer" but in my experience, my addiction is a blanket condition encompassing any and all mind and mood-altering substances (you give me enough, I'll take too much - whatever it is). But that's just been my experience
Old 01-20-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by Paraffinalien View Post
How i view it is like this. I drank because I needed to change the way I felt, I needed some kind of escape from self. If I smoked pot it would be for the same reason. IF I have contented sobriety (which I do ) then I have no need for mind altering substances.
I have no opinion on other people ( in or out of AA ) taking pot.
It would block me from my HP and that is reason enough for me to avoid it.

....You said it all for me too! Thanks!

Jeb.. Marijuana is illegal drug.
What are your future plans for jobs?
You are limiting yourself if you get busted
and most top companies are particular.....
they also do radom drug test.

Please don't risk being tangled up legally for years.
All my best
Old 01-20-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I think asking the question has answered it.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

No one is counting that it really matters for beside yourself anyway.

I never found pot to be much of a big deal. I can't say I will never do it again but haven't since quitting drinking because like other people in this thread it was very much associated. I can't remember the last time I smoked pot and didn't have a drink just because of the situations that I would smoke in.

On the other hand it is not a terrible idea to take a long break from smoking. I mean there is that aspect of addiction that isn't being helped by swapping substances.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wow, I didn't think this would be a big thread.

Thanks for all the replies.

I do understand all who think that substances should not be switched or balanced each other.

I am leaning toward the side on getting sober all together. 100 percent. Using no other chemicals than just what my brain gives me.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Jeb18 View Post
Wow, I didn't think this would be a big thread.

Thanks for all the replies.

I do understand all who think that substances should not be switched or balanced each other.

I am leaning toward the side on getting sober all together. 100 percent. Using no other chemicals than just what my brain gives me.
Prob a good decision Jeb.

GREAT job posting on here and working this out. I used to LOVE smoking herb, I mean LOVE it, but today, right now, it's got no place in my life. Maybe that'll change, but for today, the answer for me is simply no.

Kjell
Old 01-20-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

For me right now I know that if I smoked herb it would trigger a desire to drink and I would feel guilty. It really is up to you though. If its not a problem for you then who is anyone else to tell you otherwise.

I used to love Marijuana, but over time as I drank more and used harder drugs it wasn't the same. I still smoked it all the time though. I cannot say I will never smoke again, in fact if I do decide to use something it would probably be weed. Right now I know that its not for me. Alcohol and Marijuana was my thing for a long time. I used it for sleep. Of course it stopped working.

I remember really liking it after stopping drinking for a week or two, but I would always end up convincing myself to have a beer or two and then a few days later back to my usual 4 to 5 (I would drink high ABV beers).

I am planning on starting to go grad school and I know that Marijuana would get in the way. I am actually really looking forward to going through Graduate School totally sober. I always would do a really good job in college while sober. I actually did pretty good when I was using, but school always gave me a reason to temper down my drinking. My sponsor had a problem understanding this but that is just how it was for me.

I do support legalization and I do believe that its the least harmful of recreational drugs thats for sure. I have seen people really addicted to it, but I didn't have much of a problem quitting it. I actually do not really think about it or crave it now that I think about it.

If you are working the 12 steps, then I guess it would be more of an issue.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

If I picture myself doing that, I would say it DOES count toward my sober count, because it would be about getting some kind of substance thrill. Mind you, I do still smoke cigarettes out of addiction and I also drink tea and like chips and ice cream (not all at once). But I don't classify those in the same ballpark as drinking alcohol or smoking a joint. I accepted the offer of smoking one on maybe 4 occasions several years ago, and I noticed it was a lot like having 8 beers at once for the headrush and then stupid fixation on things and a little paranoia. Fortunately I didn't get addicted to it. I don't have a medical ailment that calls for smoking it with a doctor's blessing or otherwise, so if I were to opt for that consumption, it would be breaking my sobriety.

A long time ago, I went to some AA meetings and one of the people there shared how she used pot for a time after quitting drinking and came to the realization that she was kidding herself to say that she was being sober. Then she made more changes and quit that.

I suppose there could be other ways of looking at the issue (and we could say "at least" this or that), but I generally agree with the viewpoint she had.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

No weed. Otherwise you are just exchanging one problem for another problem. Take up a sport instead. The opposite sex prefers sporty people over drunk or high people. Thems the facts.