Notices

Other addictions - Coffee?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

i rec'd a Keurig last year for my birthday...it is oe of the best gifts i've ever rec'd......i love the espresso, dark hazelnut, butter-toffee....and every cup is fresh....Emeril's vanilla bean is also very good...and i start my day with "Lively Columbian" very smooth.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

please, please, please don't tell me I have to give up coffee too!!!!

is there anything left to live for?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Switch to decaff after a few cups of normal if you feel the need to chug coffee. You are so used to drinking it that after 2-3 cup its just habit, nothing good will come from it.

SC
Old 01-19-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I would not abandon the caffeine. You are already walking away from something major in your life and maybe you should spend your energy on keeping clear from that for a good long while before you try changing other things. If you want you can start drinking half/caf coffee which will give you less caffeine. No point in making yourself feel ill by going cold turkey. You can always try teas to give you that warm drink feeling in the morning. Earl Grey is good.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I've been a big coffee drinker......but ran into the same issues you did Peta. It started to occur to me that I wasn't acting all that sober by trading one addiction for another. So.... I gave it up. I still have some once and a while but rarely have it 2 days in a row....maybe a cup here or there at a meeting but that's about it.

Sober = sane mind and sound judgment, right......so what's sane and sound about pumping another chemical into me that I know is bad for me? Not much (again........for me).

That said, I smoke once and a great while and I still have this dip habit (Kodiak) that I haven't made any headway with. They're next on the list though.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

To be fair I really can't imagine someone ruining their sobriety by trying to quit coffee...I mean if anything that is showing a really high drive to get rid of all substances.
I quit coffee for a month when I quit smoking..It didn't take too long to get back to drinking a rather large amount of it. That month off did me good though so even if you don't quit for good could consider a break.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Ch5 HOW

I love AA but I believe that coffee and cookies (sugar) are not the best food choices for us.

In my first tour in AA, I was very much into the fellowship, stayed dry for 7 months, but due to a very unfit spiritual condition and untreated alcoholism, I had more anxiety than I can take....I was drinking a lot of coffee then too- 6-8 cups a day-- so i believe all the caffeine i was taking in also added to me being jittery.

Now I have a cup in the morning and if i have a long day where I am out of the house for 15 or 16 hours i will have a second one after lunch.

I try my best to stick to water...a lot of water.

I sleep much better this way too.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I only drink one cup in the morning. Anything more than that it will be me and the toilet for the next half a day. So, I enjoy the one cup very, very much.!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Is this a joke topic? Really coffee?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:37 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I pick my battles.