Notices

A guy showed up really drunk at a meeting today

Old 01-18-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

yeah, good stuff everyone! For me it was good to see what being drunk is from the outside looking in instead of the opposite. One thing I took away is everything this person said / did was irrelevant. Meaning, we all knew he wasn't himself. We knew he was babbling, not making sense, and just not being himself. The parallel I drew is that when we (even the great I lol) are drunk, what we say, think, feel, etc... is irrelevant because we are not being ourselves. What's crazy is I remember making very important decision's completely drunk. I used to think I could "out-think" how drunk I was...

So scary. I'm so glad that I don't have to live in that fog anymore. It's not a good place to be!!!!! Best of luck everyone!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post
yeah, good stuff everyone! For me it was good to see what being drunk is from the outside looking in instead of the opposite. One thing I took away is everything this person said / did was irrelevant. Meaning, we all knew he wasn't himself. We knew he was babbling, not making sense, and just not being himself. The parallel I drew is that when we (even the great I lol) are drunk, what we say, think, feel, etc... is irrelevant because we are not being ourselves. What's crazy is I remember making very important decision's completely drunk. I used to think I could "out-think" how drunk I was...

So scary. I'm so glad that I don't have to live in that fog anymore. It's not a good place to be!!!!! Best of luck everyone!
beautiful wisdom Reggie.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

There was a guy at my home group meeting last week who approached me after the meeting. I had mentioned what I do for a living, and he came over to mention he too is a musician. His breath gave him away at 3 paces; He was slurring a little too.

He offered his services and I mentioned that we're pretty set as we are. I don't know why, but I hustled to excuse myself and leave.

Later that day, I was talking with my sponsor and bemoaning the fact that we hardly ever have any newcomers for me to help. She stopped me and said, "could you be looking for the easy person to help? You could have really helped that guy since you have music in common..."

Of course, I was instantly self-aware and ashamed of my need to be an Alpha person, even in AA. Wow, talk about learning something about me. And what an eye-opener.

I have at other times noticed issues in my home group. There are old timers with serious resentment issues that they simply won't deal with; I have no idea how they've remained sober so long omitting something so huge in the steps. I am not judging- and I'm aware this is none of my business. I only mention it because-

My sponsor once again caught me looking for the "easy" service. She mentioned that I can help anyone any time; especially if by their actions they are asking for help. I still don't know what role I can have with anyone I've mentioned, but I'm thinking about it. And thinking less about myself, which is a step forward and a learning experience for me.

I'm grateful for AA and my sponsor every day!