Notices

Roughly 2 months alcohol free - computer games

Old 01-17-2011, 01:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Roughly 2 months alcohol free - computer games

I just wanted to let everybody know that I've been alcohol free now for about two months.

I started sometime in Nov. 2010. I chose a stop date. I went out drinking the night before, and I nearly wrecked my car; still have some whiplash because of it.

I downloaded a very immersive computer game, and started playing it nonstop for the past two months. It really helped me to overcome the initial anxiety and withdrawal symptoms. It helped me focus away from my current state, and to let time take its course during the early withdrawals.

I've stopped playing now. I don't feel the intense craving anymore, but I have to be very vigilant about it because it is easy to relapse.

I wanted to share this with everyone, as I had described previously (please see my previous posts on this subject). If you are able to set a block of a couple of months and want to get over the initial very steep hump, try focusing on an immersive computer game. Just my advice.

I'll continue to check in regularly as recovery is a lifelong process. Best wishes to each of you as well.

Jupiter
Old 01-17-2011, 01:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well done on your 2 months Jupiter
So what do you do when you get a craving?

D
Old 01-17-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you checked in and are staying on track...
Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Jupiter that is great to hear. I have also used computer games to evade my cravings before. We are creatures of habit. A lot of times a negative habit can be replaced with something else. A few that I have replaced most of my obsession with are hanging out with sober friends, working out and writing my business plan for a sole proprietorship I want to open someday.

Funny enough that you mention a game. I am in one of those games as of the last two days playing a lot. I drove by a Walgreens and debated getting beer. Somehow knowing that I would be logging on to my favorite game at the moment as soon as I got home was a deterrent.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In early recovery I hated spending time in my own head. I found xboxing a valuable esape and an ideal pass time for getting through the long sleepless nights.
Nice work on the two months mate.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What game was it?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

I have been playing games for a while, and find that if I can just get immersed I quickly forget the time and by the time I do look at the clock..."Well I have to go to bed in an hour there's no sense in rushing off to the store and buying anything". Congrats on your two months!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This has worked for me as well

At least, for the last month I have become so involved in a couple of games (AioN, and SC2) that I haven't drank. The cravings are obviously still there but it does help overcome them quicker I think than just sitting around doing nothing or watching TV. Also, I find that working out helps me alot, gets my brain thinking more positively. Even if I don't feel like working out, which I usually don't, I do it and then feel great afterwards. Grats on your 2 months.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liquorandndrugs View Post
What game was it?
LOL. That is what I was thinking too. Your withdrawals must have been not too terrible because all I could do my last day was pace for 10 hours in my basement. Oh yeah, and hallucinate. Both visual and audible. I was scared sh!tless.

But yeah, what game was it?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

I play Aion, what's your username??? LOL.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

bstulls on israph
Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on the sobriety! MMORPG gaming can be a great way to unwind and have some fun, particularly late at night. Personally, I'm really looking forward to Rift (launches in March) and also Guild Wars 2.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am a huge PC gamer...unfortunately that's when I did most of my drinking. 18 days without a drop. I started playing some PS3 and the console gaming is different enough from the PC gaming to not be a trigger...so far.

I've playing the PC a little bit the past couple days without any severe cravings...but I'm just taking it easy
Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

Darnit, I'm on Siel. Foxyvixen. And stuck doing Flarestorm in besh atm. And I will stop hijacking this thread now. Sorry!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I can't believe it. I am in the same boat as you! I am heading into two months sober and have spent my nights with my xbox as a deterrent to drinking. Congrats on your two months sober. Let's keep gaming our way through this
Old 01-18-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I also quit in nov 2010 and have played alot of ps3..red dead redemption online lol It works a treat. So much has changed since ive quit but still have one or two days maybe in every 10 were i feel really pissed off and a bit depressed but i think this may be PAWS but not too sure.