Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

6 months later, I am back and needing encouragement

Notices

6 months later, I am back and needing encouragement

Old 04-03-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A work in progress

If I waited until I "loved myself enough to get sober," I'd still be drinking. The self-love comes AFTER we quit, not before. I hated my drinking self. The sober me could still use some work, but I am a lot more fond of her.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Re:6 months later, I am back and needing encouragement

Welcome back...We'll encourage you...we promise.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If I waited until I "loved myself enough to get sober," I'd still be drinking. The self-love comes AFTER we quit, not before. I hated my drinking self. The sober me could still use some work, but I am a lot more fond of her.

Thanks to all!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I could only get and stay sober with the support of other alcoholics; it wasn't until I went to AA that I stopped drinking. If you really want to be sober you have to go to any lengths to do it.

Remember, you are making choices to drink -- or not drink.

God bless...
Old 04-10-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Daisy, glad you are back with us. You know my deal from when you first joined so I totally get it as most all of us do.

What worked for me in terms of getting sober and into recovery was making this my 100% focus. I had to get my thinking in check and learn to live a healthier life. Positive attitude and the way I handle lifes ups and downs took time and I found it to be a process....one I am still working on.

There is help out there and it is on you to make this your priority.

Keep it going
Old 04-10-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daisyflower View Post
Hey guys if any of you have read my old posts before, well, here I am again. Same boat. Very depressed and disapointed in myself for being so weak. I need to stop and this time for real! I just dont know how. It has become the only thing that gives me pleasure, so sad to say. I started working out and then after the gym, I STILL GO BUY MY WINE. it is ridiculous and sickening. But I guess no one can stop for me. I have to do it on my own and it actually pisses me off b/c i wish i could take it or leave it but i am way beyond that point now. I love to write and keep thinking that if I could only really take the time to blog (about things not related to drinking) that this would give me some happiness. I think it all boils down to loving myself enough to actually stop because at this point...no one can help me. I am alone. or at least i feel that way.
Daisyflower do not give up! I have been where you are. Yes I used to balance the gym with drinking (poorly) and then go to the bars at night hoping to meet someone or make a new "friend". It was a crappy life.

The thing that broke the cycle for me was actually hanging out with a person from AA. I started to hang out with someone from AA almost daily. I fought my urge not to pick up when they called. When things went sour with this person, I found someone else to hang out with daily. They were my only friend in the area that I could talk to or hang out with. I did not want to alienate them through drinking, so I stayed sober and made it to 4 months. During that 4 months I enjoyed peace and happiness I had not known possibly in my whole life. I found many other reasons to stay sober and to keep up the fight. But in the beginning, that AA friend was the seed. My advice is to hang around after meetings until you find someone like this. It could change your life.