Notices

Is "Alcoholic" A Dirty Word?

Old 01-16-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Part of denial for many alcoholics is to choose a softer easier word for their alcoholism, and to go to great lengths to avoid using the usual term. Their aversion is so strong that even the mention of the word alcoholic, or the word alcoholism often gets a dispute going, and some get so far out there they insist that no such thing exists, despite living the definition for many years.

Before getting sober I would cop to being a potential problem drinker, or someone in danger of developing an alcohol problem. This, despite 16 years of destructive and out of control drinking, with most of the classic alcoholic troubles which I could always explain as being again a victim of circumstances beyond my control.

Many like any term which does not include alcohol as a root. Sobrietist, addict, substance abuser, overdrinker, partyer, ect. New ones are still invented because their need is so great to be anything but alcoholic. But they are, and the awkward terms they require to be used in their presence due to their sensitivities change nothing at all.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I'm even considering introducing myself at a AA as, "stan and I'm in recovery." I have worked all 12 steps to near perfection and consider my self cured.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The worst thing a doctor can do is prescribe pain meds, anti-anxiety pills, tranquilizers because they are very addictive. So many people I encounter in the rooms came in addicted to them.

Regarding stigma, there is some stigma because alcoholics cause so many people misery -- families, parents, loved ones -- cause terrible accidents and commit crimes. While we do have a disease, I think it's important to understand that when I drank, it was my choice to do so. It was my choice to not drink as well. The most important thing I had to learn is that I'm responsible for everything I do or say.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I'm even considering introducing myself at a AA as, "stan and I'm in recovery." I have worked all 12 steps to near perfection and consider my self cured.
Okay.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

That right there is sig line material if I ever saw it.

Ranks right up there with "Hey. Hold my beer 'n watch this".
Old 01-16-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Don't trip on your halo as you exit AA....
Old 01-16-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Don't trip on your halo as you exit AA....
I just think that I work an excellent program and have a lot to give the newcomers that wander in.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nacona View Post

I tell everyone that I am a drug addict and alcoholic....and I have no idea why I do that.
You should watch out who you tell people about your drug addiction and alcoholic thing too. Many people will not look highly of you and you may not care but if it's people you work around then you will be at a higher risk of getting lay off for it. People general don't trust other people that had drug or alcohol problems even if it's from the past.

If people ask then just say I'm a nondrinker and if they ask why then tell them that you don't like the effect that alcohol does to you. It's truthful but does not make yourself look bad.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I just think that I work an excellent program and have a lot to give the newcomers that wander in.
:rotfxko

Hey, I've been around for a little bit, and some of your posts in this thread read exactly like what the 'newcomers' say. What I've heard over and over again at 1st step tables and read in the "Newcomers' forum. How unfair it all is!

Newcomers as in people that haven't been sober for more than a few days.

Again, what exactly is it that you're offering these newcomers-the newly sober?
Old 01-16-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Again, what exactly is it that you're offering these newcomers-the newly sober?[/QUOTE]

I offer my experience, strength and hope. I chair meetings and to extensive service work with the still suffering alcoholic. I am proud to say that I will never pick up again. I am frequently asked to give leads at very large meetings throughout my area. One group has even asked for my lead to be put on tape. I have the ability to reach people in the program and have. How about you, sailerjohn, are you reaching people??????
Old 01-16-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
You should watch out who you tell people about your drug addiction and alcoholic thing too. Many people will not look highly of you and you may not care but if it's people you work around then you will be at a higher risk of getting lay off for it. People general don't trust other people that had drug or alcohol problems even if it's from the past.

If people ask then just say I'm a nondrinker and if they ask why then tell them that you don't like the effect that alcohol does to you. It's truthful but does not make yourself look bad.
Telling management that I am an addict saved my job. The paperwork had been submitted to HR to fire me due to my many many drug-related absences

I had a meeting with management and told them that I am an addict and they have been nothing but supportive. They have changed my schedule so I can get to meetings. They give me 3-day weekends if there is a convention that I want to go to and every once in awhile one of them will pull me aside and ask me how many days I have.

I am not ashamed of having this disease and freely tell people that I go to AA/NA. And because of that, several people have asked me about the meetings and I have had the honor of taking a few of them to their first meeting.

If someone doesn't trust me becuase of my addiction, then so be it.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I disagree because I feel doctors discriminate the most. I have been denied pain meds in the past for very serious issues because of my label of "alcoholic." I'm discriminated against with extra high, super risk car insurance because of a few DUI's, 7 years ago. I already served my time & probation yet I still must pay for it. I'm not really a grateful alcoholic today. I suppose I'm dealing with lots of resentments.
I am curious about this and your statement about how you reach newcomers.
Are you dealing with your resentments? How so?
You are suffering the CONSEQUENCES of your own bad behavior.
Take responsibility.
That's what the leaders I know do.
Take responsibility.

Beth

Last edited by wicked; 01-16-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: fix quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Would that include your teaching them how to "skillfully omit" little things like their alcoholism from people who might need to know?
I am proud to say that I will never pick up again.
Interesting... The topics at my meeting tonight were "complacency" and "humility."
Old 01-16-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The topic has been explored and answered.
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and ideas.

Time to close it down.