Notices

Emotional growth and addiction

Old 01-15-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotional growth and addiction

Supercrew said something on my previous post that got me to thinking.....

If a person is a binge drinker/drugger and for most of their lives, it was a weekend thing, do you think that would stunt your emotional growth? I also started drinking at 15 but it was always a weekend thing up until about 4 years ago. I always heard that a persons maturity level stays at the age they start the addiction....but for some reason, I always pictured someone who abused daily....not sure why I thought that way.........
Old 01-15-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shantra32 View Post
Supercrew said something on my previous post that got me to thinking.....

If a person is a binge drinker/drugger and for most of their lives, it was a weekend thing, do you think that would stunt your emotional growth? I also started drinking at 15 but it was always a weekend thing up until about 4 years ago. I always heard that a persons maturity level stays at the age they start the addiction....but for some reason, I always pictured someone who abused daily....not sure why I thought that way.........
Of course it would. Why would it be any different?

I do understand why you're thinking that way, I think we tend to base our ideas on stereotypes, maybe the weekend warrior isn't an alcoholic/addict, therefore they don't have those problems.

Good news, I think you do tend to grow up pretty quickly if you have a recovery plan that has ruthless honesty as a centerpiece, this doesn't necessarily have to be AA.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really don't know why I was thinking like that........honestly??.....I always pictured someone who smoked week 24/7 since they were a teenager. And now that I say it, I realize I just described one of my ex boyfriends and perhaps thats where that idea came from.......it's funny the things you think......I always found my "trigger" is Fridays. I always headed straight to the booze store after work on Fridays. The idea of spending a Friday night without booze didnt make any sense to me......and there you go. Former party girl who always drank every weekend can't understand how anyone could not drink on Fridays. Guess my maturity level is a little behind.....
Old 01-16-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My ex is the 'weekend warrior' type, she drinks on the weekends, goes on weekend crack holidays, and probably drinks more during the week than I realized.

Thing was-not claiming to be the most mature person myself, btw-I recall breaking up with her once after one of her 'nights out', she sent me the screaming text message back "I HATE YOU" and I was a little stunned, thought that it read like something a teenage girl might send out, hell, maybe even a preteen.

And, she has in fact been drinking/using since she was 15.