Notices

Keeping It Simple

Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Keeping It Simple

I would like to hear what other people's definition of this phrase and what it means to them.
I think I need to 'simplify' things quite a bit, maybe some people can share their own ways of keeping life simple.

Thanks, Penny
Old 01-14-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This comes from the last meeting of the 2 co founders
of AA. Bill W. went to see Dr. Bob ..who was dying.

Dr. Bob said to Bill ...."Keep it simple....don't louse this thing up"
I've also heard that Dr. Bob had a small sign on his desk with
"Keep It Simple"

Anyway....for me...it means don't complicate your recovery.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe it is the same thing as Carol says..but my words are different. I think it is don't overthink stuff. And keep it simple may mean don't subject yourself to situations that could threaten your sobriety. I think I am over thinking this question.....
Old 01-14-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I know it as to remove all the things in your life that will complicate your sobriety, and I was wondering if anyone has anything specific. There was a thread on here that called for changing ones schedule and daily routine. I think I am going to make a list of things that could complicate my sobriety.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I was starting out, my recovery was pretty simple -
  • do not raise a glass of alcohol to your lips

D
    Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 PM
      # 6 (permalink)  

When I first found SR I had no predetermined thoughts on recovery or programs except I thought that AA and the steps were far from simplistic. From my past experience I thought that road would be hard for me to accomplish. So my thinking was to keep sobriety as simple as possible for me, but I have found out that although something may hard work it doesn't mean it isn't simple.

The first month of sobriety, even though not drinking was fairly easy, it wasn't simple to get over my obsessive thoughts of alcohol and it wasn't simple to reflect on the how obsessed I really was about alcohol. In fact the simple act of not drinking today became an indepth study of what caused me to be an alcoholic. So although I felt the daily act of not drinking was simple, my thoughts regarding alcohol, my past and my future were anything but.

I am obviously not a long timer, so it would be foolish for me to state that my recovery is simple now although it seems to be, but the biggest difference came with my acceptance of my alcoholism/past drinking issues. Once I started to really accept that this is a lifetime issue and not just a quick fix, (work a program for a couple of months and forget about it), sobriety and happiness while being sober has become much simpler... if that makes any sense.

By accepting that I can no longer drink, at all, it has made my program and my thinking regarding it much simpler and much more enjoyable. I let you know in the future whether my path remains simple and enjoyable as I get more time under my belt. But right now it seems to be.

On a side note, at least the way I used to think I never equated hard work as being simple, but in reality digging a ditch is quite simple as is filling the hole...it's just hard work.
    Old 01-15-2011, 12:10 AM
      # 7 (permalink)  

Very well said Supercrew...
    Old 01-15-2011, 12:29 AM
      # 8 (permalink)  
    the illogical vulcan

For me it's keeping things in perspective and learning not to sweat the small stuff.
    Old 01-15-2011, 01:07 AM
      # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pennywistle View Post
    Yes, I know it as to remove all the things in your life that will complicate your sobriety, and I was wondering if anyone has anything specific. There was a thread on here that called for changing ones schedule and daily routine. I think I am going to make a list of things that could complicate my sobriety.
    For me, the first thing that comes to mind-'stay away from wet people and places'.

You can look that one up, pretty much standard recovery advice.

I've read people claim here, in fact, that they still hang out with their drinking buddies but simply don't drink.

This is the internet. "Experience" isn't always what it's claimed to be.
    Old 01-15-2011, 02:00 AM
      # 10 (permalink)  

My friend, a member of AA, told me keeping it simple is focusing on recovery first rather than focusing on all things.

When I feel myself racing, thinking too much, fear, worry, etc...I think...keep it simple, say my prayers, stay sober, attend my meeting, work my program, do the next right thing.

To not spin out of control...to not be a big deal maker...this is what keeping it simple means to me.

Tackling "problems", overdue tasks...one at a time...staying calm, cool and collected.
    Old 01-15-2011, 03:48 AM
      # 11 (permalink)  
    Journey of Recovery

HALT, Don't get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired. For me, keeping balance is important in my sobriety.
    Old 01-15-2011, 07:27 AM
      # 12 (permalink)  

Real simple.....every day just do not take the first drinkl. This in itself will give you the time to figure the rest out.
    Old 01-15-2011, 08:10 AM
      # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coop1 View Post
    Real simple.....every day just do not take the first drinkl. This in itself will give you the time to figure the rest out.
    If I could just NOT take that first drink, then I wouldn't be in the shape that I am in. I totally lost control over taking that first drink (while sober!!).
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:14 AM
      # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nacona View Post
    If I could just NOT take that first drink, then I wouldn't be in the shape that I am in. I totally lost control over taking that first drink (while sober!!).
    Just because it's simple doesn't mean it's easy.
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:54 AM
      # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
    Just because it's simple doesn't mean it's easy.
    Maybe I'm the strange one here, but it was impossible for me NOT to pick up that first drink or drug. If I could just not pick up then I wouldn't need this website nor all the meetings that I go to. Left to my own will, I have no power at all....drunk, high or sober.

I have 117 days ONLY because I pray my a** off and am working the steps.

I've tried using my own will - and I could never do it for very long.

just my experience.
    Old 01-15-2011, 11:16 AM
      # 16 (permalink)  

Its the same as KISS...keep it simple stupid...implying that we tend to overcomplicate things that don't need to be complicated...
    Old 01-15-2011, 01:34 PM
      # 17 (permalink)  

For me it means two different things. One is that I can over analize just about anything and I drive myself crazy and then want to drink to shut my mind up. So yeah I need to keep things simple in that regard but that is a daily struggle.

Second the other keeping it simple part saved my but the first 6 months of sobriety and I just figured it out on my own really. I took the problems in my life that would cause me anxiety to drink and fixed them quite simply, shuch as

Sad I had no degree so simply went back to school

Sad I was fat and out of shape so simply went to the gym and did jujitsu more

I guess most of my problems could be solved or worked on if I just keep things simple and just don't drink over them no matter how big or small they seem to be. From both fighting and sobriety I learned that nothing will change if I sit around feeling sorry for myself which I can do really easily.
    Old 01-15-2011, 02:02 PM
      # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this, it's a wonderful topic.

This alcoholic can blow everything out of proportion and I frequently need to reel my mind back in. If my car has a problem I can add my husband's probably reaction, project what the cost will be, go into a funk because the last time it cost me a thousand bucks. And what if I don't get it back in time to buy a new dress for the wedding I have to go to (even though I can't stand these people) ... bla bla bla

Keep it simple: just take the car to the garage
    Old 01-15-2011, 02:11 PM
      # 19 (permalink)  

A good example of keeping it simple: I only have to stay sober today. Forget thinking about the past, if I'm smart or stupid, what I'll do tomorrow. I just don't drink today.
    Old 01-15-2011, 08:52 PM
      # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nacona View Post
    Maybe I'm the strange one here, but it was impossible for me NOT to pick up that first drink or drug. If I could just not pick up then I wouldn't need this website nor all the meetings that I go to. Left to my own will, I have no power at all....drunk, high or sober.

I have 117 days ONLY because I pray my a** off and am working the steps.

I've tried using my own will - and I could never do it for very long.

just my experience.
    I'm not disagreeing with you. You are working a program and it takes effort. But you are working a proven system and if you follow your sponsers guidance and you stick with the plan in the BB and participate in the steps and stay active in your recovery and use the tools and info given to you it is a proven and simple plan.

Just because it's hard work doesn't mean it's not simple. I think it would have been alot less simple for you to stay sober if you didn't find AA.

This isn't a knock on you or AA, (in fact it's a compliment), but in hindsite it is alot less simple to try and reinvent the wheel, especially when there are free wheels in every small town and city in the world that already work.

Sometimes our perceptions and beliefs keep us from using the most simplistic solutions.