SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Has SR made a difference in how you see things? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/217725-has-sr-made-difference-how-you-see-things.html)

Mark75 01-14-2011 05:42 AM

Has SR made a difference in how you see things?

I like polls. Maybe you do too...

Have you found that you have changed your mind, or outlook, or perspective on issues relating to recovery?

24hrsAday 01-14-2011 05:48 AM

i voted #2 Mark..

Peter G 01-14-2011 06:54 AM

#2 for me as well. :)

Chloe03 01-14-2011 06:57 AM

I quit drinking....struggled for 2 weeks...and then started searching for help and found SR. My opinion changes frequently because I had absolutely no idea how powerful addiction is! :wild I'm learning something new each day. SR has truly changed my life.

Sugah 01-14-2011 07:16 AM

I didn't vote. Little of what I've read here has swayed my position on recovery as I regard it in my own life. What I mean by that is that what worked for me when I came here is still working today, and I haven't read anything that's persuaded me to change what I'm doing.

In the last five and a half years, I have enlarged my experience, both spiritually (discussing and reading about the way others conceive of a HP) and practically (finding others with whom I can practice the 12th step). I've also found my tolerance and open-mindedness has increased. Had I not interacted with others who are using other methods than mine (the 12 steps) to recover, I probably would have built up quite a bias by now. I had it when I came here, and now, not so much.

Peace & Love,
Sugah

yeahgr8 01-14-2011 07:20 AM

I was going to vote 2 but ended up voting 3...reason being is that whatever i read or hear needs some sort of real life validation before i would go as far as to change my opinion about recovery issues...

E.g. i am in AA and although i have heard and seen on SR that AA isn't the only way it was only when i found out that my CBT counselor is 24 years recovered without AA and how he did it in real life that my opinion changed...i think that's a pretty healthy behaviour actually:-)

CarolD 01-14-2011 08:40 AM

When I came on line in '92 it was to enhance my already
sucessful AA recovery. of 3 years.

I made SR my cyber home group in '02
and my recovery is still AA
but I've certainly become less ridgid....:laughing:

Thanks to our SR members
:You_Rock_

SSIL75 01-14-2011 09:55 AM

Seeing the diversity in experience has been very helpful to me! The best thing I did was read here even when (in retrospect) I didn't want to quit. It gave me hope that I could recover without committing to a lifetime of smoky church basements and Jesus talk.

LotusBlossom 01-14-2011 01:00 PM

I have a degree in Chemistry and Psychology and I have found a lot of information (even though a lot of it is speculation) linked on here that explains some of the things that a lot of courses fail to go into because the knowledge is so new and the field is in its infancy (not addiction but alcohol addiction). Such a messy drug. So I have gleaned loads of information that make sense from my perspective in that I can understand chemically and neurally what is going on.

hopeless2day 01-14-2011 01:00 PM

I can't vote, but I have been here a short time and like what I see thus far

Danae 01-14-2011 02:01 PM

I can't vote yet either, but I would put my response somewhere between 1 and 2. I've been suprised by how much I've learned on SR, and it has certainly broadened my viewpoint. In the very beginning in particular I found the info on withdrawal, PAWS etc to be very helpful.

LaFemme 01-14-2011 07:43 PM

Question: has SR made a difference in how you see things?

Answer: I d@MN well hope so considering the time I spend here!

Seriously...if I was just coming here to see myself talk or try to convince others that I am RIGHT and they are WRONG!!! then I would have more to worry about then the addiction stuff.

In the immortal words of stugotz....Just sayin'.....

:)

CarolD 01-14-2011 08:29 PM

Danae....:wave:
welcome to our recovery community

Supercrew 01-14-2011 08:30 PM

How about.......... yes!!! Now I can't really say that when I first found this place six months ago that I even had a clue as to what recovery was. I did not know the first thing about alcoholism or why I drank the way I did. I did know that I did not like AA because I was forced to do 6 months worth of weekly meetings 10 years previous and I knew I would not go to AA if that was my only option. I found this place at a perfect time, and I also now know more than most people about addiction and alcoholism because of this site, and I would even be open to attending AA now because of what I have learned here. It is a wealth of information that helps me update and sometimes change the way I see things on a regular basis. It has also helped me learn acceptance and humility.

Omega10 01-15-2011 06:33 AM

I couldn't pick one. When I came here I had no idea what I was doing and had no opinions on recovery. I kept my mind open purposely to see what others were doing. Some of the things I read on here I incorporated into my recovery whilst other things I read I took with a grain of salt. That's the beauty of a forum like this - you get the exposure to the wealth of experiences out there so that you can tailor your recovery to fit you. It didn't matter to me how I recovered, per se, it just mattered that I did recover.

mikefreak 01-15-2011 01:17 PM

MY way is not nessessarily (?) the only way. Because I disagree with the way the methods of recovery are conducted doesn't mean it's not without merit. These are the lessons I learned from this site................

Zencat 01-15-2011 04:22 PM

Before coming to SR my experience with others in recovery was pretty much limited to people I meet in AA. I had no idea that there were so many people that have recovered from addiction by using methods other than faith-based recovery modalities. SR inspires me to develop further in my secular approach to recovery.

I have also learned from other SR members how to work a 12-step program from a secular perspective. Making my recovery base even broader than ever before.

Boleo 01-15-2011 04:38 PM

#2 though I might add I am #1@#2 (LOL!)

I now see the steps a little differently than I did using AA alone. I also see other ways to get the spiritual experience described in the 12th step.

WritingFromLife 03-05-2011 07:50 AM

We often say you can't get it all online... however, the reverse is also true. There are things you can't get from books or face-to-face meetings. Some people tend to reveal more openly online. SR has given me a larger perspective on the different faces of addiction as well as the many different methods of recovery.

WakeUp 03-07-2011 07:25 AM

My AA philosophy was formed by what I've read on SR, just too bad my home group doesnt' always see it that way, lol.