Notices

Anyone Find Sobriety Boring?

Old 01-13-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Absolute Evil

Anyone Find Sobriety Boring?

It seems like since I stopped drinking, I have become even more isolated. Mainly because I start thinking about the friends I used to have that make absolutely no effort to contact me or come see me...

For me to hang out with friends, I have to go see them. It's always been this way.

With scotch, I had a pal... Now I have nothing.

However, I'm not slipping back to that. I like being healthier... Lost 17 pounds in 8-9 days. Never did that while drinking..
Old 01-13-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe it's time to get some new friends. Yes sobriety can be as boring as I make it, but being drunk didn't make life less boring. Would you consider death as being boring?

"Boring" is a state of mind, if you don't want to be bored do something that interests you. Drinking doesn't cure boredom, it just makes you too apathetic to care.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If I have no friends, and I take a drink, and the drink becomes my friend, so I think, I am fooling myself.

I still have no friends, and now also have a drinking problem.

I am drinking to change my perception of reality.

I am drinking to numb myself from being alone.

Alcohol is not a friend.

We have to find the fellowship we seek. There are many, many sober people out there that will become your new friends. Get out and meet them at your local AA group.

New friends with the same goals and dreams as you in sobriety. We have to take the action, and create our new life, and reach out and make it happen.

Take care "friend"
Old 01-13-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He Master!

Scotch was never your pal...unless you are a glutton for punishment and want to be friends with the cast of "Mean Girls".

What did you like to do before you became a drinker? Make a list, and then try to think about how to get back into those things in a sober manner. Don't push yourself too hard, but push yourself a little. Do one new thing a day, it can be really small, and try and do one big thing new a week. Gradually you should find your way back to the land of the living.

The first 2 weeks I was also bored...I had no idea what to do with myself. Now my days aren't long enough, life is the antithesis of boring. Join the ocean of the living...the water's fine
Old 01-13-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I dunno about being more isolated, but it always seems time just slows down terribly when first starting out on the sober path. Days that seemed to fly by and the chaos that lived turns to a monotous and mundane time.

It reminds me of my first and only stint in jail a couple years ago. I was only there for 24 hours, but that was the longest time of my life - if felt like 24 years.

I think that when we stop drinking and we literally are being forced to come to terms with day to day living everything looks so different and sometimes just 'blah'. The good news is just the days are long so are the nights (with much better sleep)!!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was extremely bored when I stopped drinking, alcohol had been my "best friend" and constant companion. I did most of my drinking alone so w/o the alcohol I only had myself as company and I really didn't like myself. Eventually as I got physically and mentally healthier I found so much to do that I now wonder how/why I wasted so much time drinking.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My sober life is predictable, which I like. Boring, not in the least. I get a lot done sober that I could never do drinking.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I think if you just take away alcohol then yes life is boring. Now you have to work on filling up all those hours with things that are not boring! There are so many options.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not really.

What I did find boring was the hangovers the next day, when I couldn't do anything productive. Or still waking up drunk and I had to laze around all day stinking in bed waiting to sober up.

I hated watching the rest of the world get on with their days - going for walks, going shopping, meeting friends - whilst I was being sick in the shower.

To be that was utter boredom.

xx
Old 01-13-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

l also found l have a lot more time sober but... this is great! l get so much done, have started new hobbies, even returned to study (at my age! )

maybe the friends you haven't seen since you got sober were really only drinking buddies???

In order to change we must be sick and tired of being sick and tired
Author Unknown
Old 01-13-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have been bored for a while but have found myself starting to feel more positive and interested in new things. I'm trying to join social groups that involve activities or take classes such as an improv class. Or maybe find new hobbies.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

Not really... the trick is not to simply stop drinking, but to bring other things into your life. Catch up on books, reach out to others rather than expecting them to come to you, open your eyes to what you have been missing all those years that you spent drinking. Sure, it can get boring at times, but that's just life, and drinking, for me, was pretty boring, too -- I was just too out of it to realize it.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
31/10/10

HI Master,
I can relate to what you are saying. I don't feel too bored at home, but when going out with frends I oscilliate between finding them and their drinking and talking very boring and then finding myself to be even more boring because I don't quite know what to say and how to hold a sensible conversation. Maybe it's a fact that you just can't lead a sensible conversation in a bar or club, maybe I need to practise my social skills...

whatever, I'd take a little boredom any day if it saves me the hangovers, guilt and shame.

It will get better - for all of us.
vee
Old 01-13-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's only as boring as you make it! I felt like that at first sure. I mean most of my friends partied and therefore I did not spend as much time with them. Just started focusing more on my hobbies, got back in school, went on dates, met new people, started reading, and now I am happy with who I am as a person. I'm sure that to some I seem like a bore but I don't have control over what they think so oh well.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Looking back, being a drunk was way more boring and limited the things I could do. In fact I'm a bit overwhelmed by my options now that I can see everything that can be done.

Then again, I was never much of a social drunk. Drinking probably made it harder for me to cultivate friendships.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
It seems like since I stopped drinking, I have become even more isolated. Mainly because I start thinking about the friends I used to have that make absolutely no effort to contact me or come see me...
When I had the obsession to drink lifted out of me, I thought I would never need to talk to another alcoholic ever again. Turns out I have a need to carry the message to others in order to have a sense of purpose in my life.

It is that sense of purpose that keeps thoughts of drinking out of my life and out of my mind.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

Yes, I am finding sobriety boring. Oh well...
Old 01-13-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I think it CAN be boring... I HAVE been bored....
On the other hand, recovery is interesting to me. I can learn a lot by reading new things, or listening to speakers online.
I'm not gonna lie. Recently, I took about 3 days to get back to things the "old" me used to enjoy, minus the drinking. I read books for pure entertainment value, not for recovery. I watched more Family Guy than I care to admit. I stayed home and in my jammies, and I missed my Friday and my Sunday meetings. I needed to decompress a little.
Yes, it can be boring. But the clear headed mornings, and the productive days, and the serenity of sobriety make it so worth it.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Go to AA and make new sober friends...
Old 01-13-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Anything but! I'm finding it such a relief not to have that crutch with me anymore...the times I do go out, are more meaningful... and I remember every minute!!!