Notices

Good days vs. Bad days

Old 01-12-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good days vs. Bad days

I hear a lot saying the worst day sober is never worse than their best day drunk, or something along that line.

How do you handle the bad days. Seems just coming out of a binge the next several days are really sh*tty.

My benders are fierce and I leave a path of destruction, mostly for my own viewing only.

Binge drinking and closet drinking is the worse. You are alone, for the most part other than if you go to bars, which i frequent when i drink. I cant stand to drink alone and be with myself for an extended period of time. So, I head to the local bar, where beer is flowing at 11am on a Monday afternoon. The bar generally has 7-10 others there, drinking away, most if not all Alkies.

They talk of their upcoming court dates, the joints they are about to go out back and smoke, how they hate their spouse, how life is unfair, etc....

Something hit me yesterday, I was there, sitting, listening to the same drunks with the same stories as I do week after week and I'm tired of it, sick and tired of it.

Tonights a sober night, when my head hits the pillow tonight, I will not have had a drink today. For now, any night my head hits the pillow sober, it was a good day.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I cope with life by living in God's direction and
useing AA's 12 Steps....

Regardless of what has happened to me for 21 years
Ive not required alcohol to get thru it.

Not a quick deal...but very rewarding for me.
This can be true for you as well.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think by "sober day", most people mean any given day in a sober life. The days immediately following a binge don't really qualify, to my way of thinking at least.

Still, it's not like after you quit drinking, you'll spend every day skipping through a meadow with cartoon birds fluttering around you. Bad days are still bad, and you just have to deal them as they come. But at least you're dealing with them, instead of hiding behind a drink.

I can tell you that I expect to have far fewer bad days now. For one thing, I don't start the day feeling ashamed, angry, and scared. And for another, I don't get upset by minor bumps in my day. Before, the slightest aggravation would turn a good day into a bad day. Now, the little stuff just rolls right by me. I just have a way better sense of perspective now (and it's only been a few weeks).
Old 01-12-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post

Still, it's not like after you quit drinking, you'll spend every day skipping through a meadow with cartoon birds fluttering around you. .
Ha ha ha, That made me smile........
Old 01-12-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by hopeless2day View Post
Tonights a sober night, when my head hits the pillow tonight, I will not have had a drink today. For now, any night my head hits the pillow sober, it was a good day.
At the end of the day what happened to me during the day (good or bad0 has little, if any bearing on how I feel.

How I use prayer and meditation throughout the day, how I get a sense of purpose from helping others and how I detach form all outcomes determines how I feel when my head hits the pillow.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Non-alcoholics have good and bad days...

Recovering alcoholics have good and bad days..

Active alcoholics have bad days.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"Something hit me yesterday, I was there, sitting, listening to the same drunks with the same stories as I do week after week and I'm tired of it, sick and tired of it."

The bars here are packed with lounge lizards and barflies. I know this because no matter what day..or what time of day..the same people are there every day. I was a part time fly..did most of my drinking at home. BUT I always wonder how they live. I work. Nobody at the bar seems to work...all are laid off..fired or retired. The thing that grabs me is they sat there and b!tched about the cops cuffing and stuffing them..duis..and right after they get out of jail they head straight to the bar and hit their collective stools! They sit at the same stool..the ones that can still drive park in the same spot.
I am so very grateful and glad to be out of the cycle that sucks the life out of you. I hope you can stay sober hopeless. You may be sick of the bar..but don't bring it home. I did that and never left the house once I was in. Both scenarios suck..just hang in there..I broke out of the cycle and it just gets better and better.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by hopeless2day View Post
I hear a lot saying the worst day sober is never worse than their best day drunk, or something along that line.
For me, my worst day sober has been FAR WORSE than my best day drunk. I had a lot of fun drinking....I really enjoyed some of those days - especially early on.

Life is still life....but sober I have a better shot at far more of the good days then I ever had when I was drinking. That's been my experience.

As for the bad days..... I use the tools I learned in AA. The steps. Along with the steps, there's a lot of "recommended action" to take. I've tried not taking that action and the results.....well......let's just say not following their recommendations wasn't working so well so I tried following all the direction.....and life got better.

At first, most alcoholics try to white-knuckle it through into sobriety. It's miserable...and it's no way to live. Once I finally bought into AA though, and realized that nothing I was doing was really working very well.....and figured I'd give "their" was a shot......those really bad days completely disappeared - finito!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I handle the bady days by simply not drinking. Iv'e had some bad days and the craving to drink was stronger than ever, I just stay busy and then the next day I'm so grateful that I did not give in. My sobriety date is always to be protected, without sobriety I will have nothing in life. The feelings with will pass, hang in there.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
where the light is

I have had some really tough days in my three years of sobriety. End of my 19 year marriage, death of my aunt to cancer, my cousins suicide to name a few. Horrible stuff but a part of life. Would have been so much worse if I started drinking over it. Getting through these things without drinking has really strengthened my sobriety. Resilient for sure - always bounce back! We adjust.

As far as the day to day drama goes, it really is like water off a ducks back (took a while to get there mind you). Wake up sober, live my life, go to bed sober. Grateful for that!