Notices

What is your Higher Power?

Old 01-12-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

God is my higher power.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am my higher power, only I have the power to change myself, using something external becomes a crutch to avoid being yourself. I don't need to replace one dependence with another, I needed to and have removed the dependence.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I love, love, love all the variety of responses here... some very thought provoking stuff!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm not religious and I don't like the way the "To the Agnostics" chapter in the Big Book basically says that it's OK if you're agnostic or atheist, but you will be converted to believing in God over the course of the 12 steps. I find it condescending to those of us who have considered the matter thoroughly and do not believe in a conventional God.

My Higher Power is an amalgamation of things depending on the situation. It is sometimes Time, because the power of Time will always change the way I feel (and everything else) in ways that are greater than I have the power to. It is also sometimes the greater concept of humanity as a whole, we are all part of an interconnected community and affect each other in ways beyond our understanding. When I pray, I envision praying to my Grandma and Grandpa, because even though I don't literally believe are watching me over in a "Heaven," I can have a sense that their energy is somewhere overseeing my life and helping encourage me to do the next right thing, and loving me no matter what I do.

Congratulations on your sober days so far and on starting your journey of recovery.

GG
Old 01-12-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Do you attend AA?
Originally Posted by myheadhurts View Post
I am my higher power, only I have the power to change myself, using something external becomes a crutch to avoid being yourself. I don't need to replace one dependence with another, I needed to and have removed the dependence.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Dismember

God, foremost. No doubt about that.

However, I don't feel I have just one Higher Power. In my theological stuff I have only one God, but many HPs. The program is my HP, at times. Sometimes it's higher reason.

I am religiously monotheist and Alcoholics Anonymously polytheist.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by hopeless2day View Post

... there has to be right?
Right! Without an Higher Power, alcohol would have remained my HP right up till it killed me.

If you are having trouble with the G word, try using the "Process of Recovery" as your HP. If you use it properly, it will lead you to a new HP.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi!

Well I believe in one part Christian God (the Trinity ), one part Love, one part some kind of spiritual mystic holy spirit type of thing that resides within all living things. Shake them all together and that kinda sums up my belief system.

Not surprising I have a hard time finding a Church I like...lol
Old 01-12-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Jesus Christ. Pretty simple for me. Well, not that simple to live, but fairly simple to explain.

Many, many people, when explaining their reluctance to embrace the idea of God, point to their parents and reject him and them together for perceived flaws, without necessarily asking if it's valid to lump them together.

People who emphasize the steadfastness, holiness, and yes, discipline of God, without putting that foremost in the context of his love and kindness, do no good service to their children. My parents were fairly neutral on the subject.My understanding of God comes mainly from what I've learned and studied as an adult.

All that being said, I think the principles of the 12 steps and AA will work for non-believers also, as long as they can get their minds out of their own skulls to concentrate on something else.