Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

If Alcohol didnt cause, mental, health problems, would you of quit?

Notices

If Alcohol didnt cause, mental, health problems, would you of quit?

Old 01-11-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Seriously, I don't know, but probably not, I was very attached to alcohol.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

This is a really interesting question and has made me think...I keep coming back to it.

I didn't even like getting drunk...I must have at one time but aside from my first couple of buzzes I can't remember when I stopped liking it. It was just such a compulsion ...this is so weird...I'm going to obsess over this now!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Yeah, I'm with Dee. Hangovers, brain fog, and mental and/or health problems were the least of my problems.

Getting drunk and getting behind the wheel, duis and totalled cars, jail cells, court rooms, getting fired, treating girls like crap and using them as trophies, drug seeking behavior, selfish behavior, reckless then regretful behavior, fist fights, verbal fights, lying, cheating, stealing, spending money like crazy, looking down on people - THOSE, those were my kind of problems.

Also, def something to alcohol being my solution to life, but once that expired, it got crazy real fast (see above) and I almost died connecting the dots.

If I could drink and not have those problems, then yes, yes I would continue to drink
Old 01-11-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
If you add to the list wrecking cars, ruining relationships, acting the fool, dumb fistfighting, going to jail repeatedly, making crazy purchases, limiting my opportunities, making stupid choices, not being there for loved ones, filling my head with anger and confusion, crawling around mexican bar toilets, paying endless fines and high car insurance rates, making crazy trips after midnight, pissing off employers, and more...

Then sure, why not?
Cabledude - you're my kind of alkie
Old 01-11-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImReadyToQuit View Post
I've never thought about this particular question..

But I know the answer to this one.. And I bet all of you have the same answer...

"If you could go back to that first drink, would you have taken that FIRST sip?"
Great question. How much easier would my life have been without that first sip. If I hadn't taken that first sip - start drinking - I think I would have matured at such a faster rate. I find that through recovery I am learning how to be a man and not a scared little kid.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thank for all the replies, i didnt know it would stur so many :P. But anyway Im actually more of a reserved person. Im a loner, i dont speak alot to people, i dont have really any friends, and i dont really show alot of my emotions to many people (even family). So i was not like most drunks.

But whenever i did drink, i was charasmatic, and i often started talking to people more (i can talk a mile a minute when im drunk for some reason) and im always smiling and im much more social for some reason.(this is why my family can tell if i drink because im more of a reserved person, so once i start talking a mile a minute its weird) If i could apply that to my sober life then things would be great.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Alcohol makes people more socialible, but you don't need it to be more outgoing talkative and or friendly. You just have to make a point to do it when you are sober. It's really pretty easy, and although it might be uncomfortable at first, once you start doing it regularly it becomes second nature, and it is rather fun to be outgoing and friendly. Some people won't respond, but most people love it and it puts a smile on your face and theirs.....without booze. I had to learn to do it because I have not always been overly friendly or out going, but my job is sales, so I had to decide whether i wanted to be unfriendly and hidden, yet comfortable and poor, or whether I wanted to push my comfort level and make some money. Money and the smile from a stranger always wins.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:37 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi

If there was no health / psycological fall-out at all, to be honest I would not be looking to stop totally.

J x
Old 01-12-2011, 04:29 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Smile

l didn't have hangovers, (don't know why) and physically l was still Ok, no real mental health issues besides the usual memory loss and zero self-esteem
but my teenage daughters seeing me too drunk to walk straight or speak without slurring words or dropping and breaking numerous household items......

Yeah giving up drinking has been the best thing l've ever done and l plan to continue to stay sober, one day at a time

In order to change we must be sick and tired of being sick and tired
Author Unknown
Old 01-12-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Next time you have to be around a sociable drunk for very long, you may come away with a different belief about how wonderful and outgoing drinking made you.