Notices

Trying This Again

Old 01-20-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Sounds like you're doing well.

Hang in, some days will be tough, but the thought that "alcohol is not an option" helped me.

As you said, you simply don't go there. Go easy on hanging around the drinking, though. There's plenty of time for socializing once you get on more solid ground.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on two weeks Bored3

D
Old 01-21-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Feeling a bit down today. Not thinking about drinking, I suppose that's a good sign. I dunno, it's strange these kind of moods come on but I don't think it's actually any less than when I was drinking, just that down moods were "solved" by alcohol.

Anywho, Day 15, going strong.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...forward is the correct direction....
Old 01-21-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I found that each time I went through uncomfortable emotions I was used to "medicating" away (with booze), it was a bit easier the next time. It's really hard at first because you know that "relief" is only a drink away. But once you do that, even if it's "just this once", you feed the addiction and it roars back to life.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Night of Day 17.

Can I just ask, is it normal for my memory to still be a bit off and to have a bit of "brain fog" as it were? I'm probably thinking too much about it but my short term memory seems a bit off. For example, if I can't remember if I've done something the night before and have, in the past, just thought "oh, you were drunk, can't remember", getting similar things now. I'm by no means saying it's anything serious, if I think about it I'll think "oh yeah" but short rapid recall seems to be lacking.

Anyway, off to bed, Day 17 done, Day 18 when I wake up.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bored

Memory issues and brain fog were with me longer than 17 days, if that means anything

I think you're probably right not to put too much emphasis on it yet - see your doctor if it persists into months tho perhaps?

D
Old 01-23-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Memory issues and brain fog were with me longer than 17 days, if that means anything
Same here. Mine came and went for months. It wasn't constant, and it got better.

It takes time for our brains to function correctly again.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Bored

I think you're probably right not to put too much emphasis on it yet - see your doctor if it persists into months tho perhaps?

D
Hey Dee,

I'm more curious than worried if I'm honest, as I said it's not really a problem more of an inconvenience, thinking about it perhaps I was blaming being drunk for not having as quick recall as when I started drinking (I was obviously younger then and maybe a bit more sharp!).
Old 01-27-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Three weeks. Going strong.

God Bless.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

good stuff Bored3

D
Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

hi bored a congratulations on your 3 weeks
sounds like you're making great moves forward!

l had stort term memory issues as well in the early days. l put it down to being so focused on recovery, one day at a time, that the other stuff just wasn't important so l didn't remember what l didn't need to.
l also experienced mood swings and emotions all over the place but that settled after 4 weeks or so.
Have you got face to face support in your recovery, people who are there for to support you?
SR is a great site and l get on it every day to read but l also needed people in my life l could meet with and call up.

In oreder to change we must be
sick and tired of being sick and tired.
Author Unknown
Old 01-27-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Way to go Bored!

Following along here my friend
Old 01-28-2011, 02:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Congratulations Bored. I'm following along behind also.
Day 7 for me. Not sure about the memory stuff. It's
still all a big hazy blur to me. I'll let you know down
the line if you want. I plan to stay sober one day at
a time, just like you are doing now.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:49 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

congratulations magic on 7 days sober
thats awesome!

though no-one can go back and make a new start,
anyone can start from now and make a new ending.
Carl Bard
Old 01-28-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mtnmagic View Post
Congratulations Bored. I'm following along behind also.
Day 7 for me. Not sure about the memory stuff. It's
still all a big hazy blur to me. I'll let you know down
the line if you want. I plan to stay sober one day at
a time, just like you are doing now.
Hey mtn, good job, the memory stuff should ease off if you give it chance.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marni View Post
hi bored a congratulations on your 3 weeks
sounds like you're making great moves forward!

l had stort term memory issues as well in the early days. l put it down to being so focused on recovery, one day at a time, that the other stuff just wasn't important so l didn't remember what l didn't need to.
l also experienced mood swings and emotions all over the place but that settled after 4 weeks or so.
Have you got face to face support in your recovery, people who are there for to support you?
SR is a great site and l get on it every day to read but l also needed people in my life l could meet with and call up.

In oreder to change we must be
sick and tired of being sick and tired.
Author Unknown
Hey marni,

As I've said, the memory loss thing doesn't bother me too much, I think I was blaming too many slow recalls on "I was drinking". I suppose I can be quite snappy these days and I've apologised to people for it, it was especially bad in the first week but that's cooled down a bit.

I have only told immediate family about things, in varying degrees. I have told my mother everything, full out crying letting it all out, she understands and can see what I've been through. Honestly, I had more of a problem with alcohol a couple of years ago and thought I could cut down, I did, but I was occasionally going back to old ways and just feeling down on health, energy, mind and money. As I've said the main plus to being sober is getting out of the rhythm of when and where I get my next fix, having to have a drink before going to a shop or something minute like that. Other family I have simply turned down alcohol when it's been offered and said I'm staying off it for a while. They don't know my problems and alcohol has always been a big thing in the family, I've left it at that for now and had no issues, if there are issues I'll deal with it with as much honesty as is required. Friends I've been out with in the last 22 days I've told I'm not drinking anymore, much to dazed expressions, but I'm not interested really. Here in Britain it's widely known that everybody goes out at the weekend and binges excessively, it's the norm, more fool them really. Again, I've experienced no issues with this, if there are any I'll confront them, I know my real friends will stick by me. Losing social aspects was always an issue with my thinking about sobriety, being sober now I don't really understand why I was so worried, aside from the fact alcohol made me as paranoid as a cat inquisitively staring out the veterinarian with a thermometer. At the end of the day, I'd rather have a healthy liver when I've got grandchildren than sitting in the pub with a bad comb over reminiscing about the lads holiday in Reno.

At the moment I've got all the support I need, but I'm sure if I need to talk I have the people I trust, and SR of course.

Day 22 down, thanks everyone.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

And here we are on the night of Day 28, by far and away the longest period of time I've been sober since I started drinking.

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
A work in progress

WTG, keep it up!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Congratulations Bored on day 28. I'm on day 34 so I'm right there with ya. This is the longest I've made it too. It really can be done. WTG, keep it up.