Notices

Day One. Oh boy.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One. Oh boy.

Today is my first day (and hopefully not my last) of sobriety.

Any words of advice?

Old 01-10-2011, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

One thing's for sure......no matter how bad it was/is ...recovery is possible. I never knew how cool living was until I got completely sober
Old 01-10-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep coming back.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey and congrats on the decision to live the best life possible

Advice...read a lot of SR...there is a wealth of information and amazing people here!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Be prepared to feel like someone drained the energy from you mind with an extractor needle.

Also you won't know what to do with yourself.

About a painful month of this then it slowly goes away..month by month
Old 01-10-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't drink today! One day at a time I've stayed happily sober for over a year! And if I can do it, so can you!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Eat a little something every 2 hours, lots of juice, maybe a multi-vitamin, get a semi-boring book to put you to sleep at night, stay off the happy pills, don't smoke dope, prepare to sweat some so maybe keep the room cool, asprin or the like for some aches and pains.

Figure it'll be like the last few dozen times you didn't drink for a few days, whatever that was for you.

For me it was like a mild flu bug, not a huge deal to get through. No drama involved.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

Get a support network. If there is anything that will trip you up in this pursuit, it will be from your own head. It is what will give you permission to use again. Good support is critical.

Get a plan. How to recover from chemical dependency is not well covered in our educational systems, and few of us are well equipped to be treating life threatening disorders on our own. Many extol willpower as a means of abstinence. Willpower has not had great success on other health issues, like diarrhea. If you think you can benefit from some guidance and a tried method of action to confront this disorder, it is available for the asking.

There is a way out. There are well marked paths to follow. It is up to you to walk them. If you are ready, there are many people holding lights along the way, and have good advice on dealing with what lies ahead on the path.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Congratulations for chooseing sobriety....

If you run into any problems with de toxing...please don't
hesitate to call your doctor or go to an ER.

Have you read this link? It has info you might find useful.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Please keep posting with us...many of us are winning over alcohol
and so can you...
Old 01-10-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

All great advice - mine is if you have to, take things one minute at a time if needed. Don't worry or focus on tonight, tomorrow, next week. Lots of water is good and eat right.

Your mind will do it's best to trick you - those thoughts are faster than a speeding bullet. It's easy to fall upon impulse so be careful.

As a matter of fact, i'm sitting here at lunch just getting over my big time craving to get something. I have 30 minutes to go so i'm not outta the woods yet. See what I mean?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Try out AA if you haven't already. Google "24 hour AA hotline [your city]" and give them a call, they can tell you where and when meetings are, your area may also have an AA website that lists meetings. Even if you don't get a lot out of the steps and other principles, it's a great way to meet a lot of sober people and start building your support network. Good luck.

GG
Old 01-10-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Some things that helped me:

1) write down why you're quitting, specifics help, and look at it frequently.
2) drink lots of tea.
3) any time you get an urge, find something to distract yourself and tell yourself you are going to put off drinking for "just another half hour." do that every half hour.
4) keep a journal, make it like a science experiment.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yesterday was my first day to not use alcohol. . . . I had night sweats for the first time last night and feel like I am coming down with the flu. Just trying to get through this one day at a time! Listening to calming music has helped these last 2 days.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support already. Just the fact that people replied made me feel a million times better about deciding to get sober. I know that sounds funny, but I'm sure some of you understand.

My boxing coach is going to take me to AA, which is very kind of him. I didn't know who else to ask, so I went to him, and he's 2 years sober, so I thought he'd be able to give me a push in the right direction.

I've been sleeping around twelve hours since I slowed down, and now I'm exhausted and it's only been one day. I also just woke up. Madness. I'm not used to this.

I'm ready for this though, more than ever. I'm tired of lying to everyone I love. I realized how horrible that is. And I realized that it's truly changing me, even when I'm not drunk.

Thank you all, again. It does mean a lot for you to just simply reply.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm glad your Coach will be a support for you
and yes....AA is full of people who understand
and are willing to help you too....