Notices

Faith?

Old 01-08-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Faith?

"where God leads.. he provides" i have been thinking about this one for a while. wondering if anyone else has any Experience, Strength or hope to share? thanks..
Old 01-08-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

hi 24
as I do my morning prayer and meditation,I see what God wants of me for this day,and I go try and do it
of course,we leave the results up to Him,and during this process of daily living,as I do my morning 11 step,I pray for the knowledge of His will for me,and the Power to carry it out.
knowledge and power
knowledge is the vision I get daily of His will for me,one step at a time,and the Power is doing it,one step at a time.The Power may boil down to just willingness to do something different,or go the extra length for something.
one old timer in this area,Tom I.,says,if it is His will,the walls come down-I would like to add,they may come down one block at a time,but they will come down if we persist.

I have found His will for me is in the smaller things of life,the usual daily things mostly.How I may treat my fellow man,service to others,picking up the phone and making a call to someone,or stopping by to visit someone....and I never see the whole pic,just enough to keep me going....a little at a time...so,I just have to rely and trust Him just a little at a time,one day at a time that this simple thing is what He wants of me at this present time..

That is how we grow in effectiveness and understanding.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by 24hrsAday View Post
"where God leads.. he provides" i have been thinking about this one for a while. wondering if anyone else has any Experience, Strength or hope to share? thanks..
Yes I do... But there are a few caveats;

The Spiritual Path gets narrower as we go along.
God believes in Daily Bread (Just-In-Time delivery system).
A man should measure his wealth by that which he does not need.
To whom much has been given - much is expected.
Teachers are held to a higher standard.
The "Dark Night of the Soul" experience is not for neophytes.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I actually find that the more one follows the spiritual path the wider the world becomes...it opens in fact like a flower.

Its like I can almost see my world expanding and flooding with joy and color and music and smells and people that weren't there before...well actually they were but I could not see.

There is a saying that goes something like " when the student is ready the teacher appears". I started working with my coach 2 weeks into sobriety...that was the key I needed. Working with her has helped me remove so many blocks to spiritual growth and my relationship with God. There is so much freedom in this life.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
I actually find that the more one follows the spiritual path the wider the world becomes...it opens in fact like a flower.

Its like I can almost see my world expanding and flooding with joy and color and music and smells and people that weren't there before...well actually they were but I could not see.

There is a saying that goes something like " when the student is ready the teacher appears". I started working with my coach 2 weeks into sobriety...that was the key I needed. Working with her has helped me remove so many blocks to spiritual growth and my relationship with God. There is so much freedom in this life.
i really like that thing about the Teacher.. thanks guys!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i guess if i ask God for direction in prayer.. then it's just a matter of putting one foot in front of the other for me most days.. doing the next right thing. whatever it may be. going to a meeting.. going to work.. calling my sponsor.. etc..
Old 01-09-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Faith

Day 70 here - My faith is central to my recovery. I have known intellectually that He is most certainly there, but I ignored His care and let alcohol begin to fill the place only He can fill. Augustine said speaking of God, "Our hearts are restless until they find their rest in You." This recovering heart is finding rest in His arms.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks pascal.. it is something i need to be reminded of from time to time. God cares and he is helping guide us!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
This corresponds with one of the many 2nd step promises:

"To us, the Realm of Spirit is broad, roomy, all inclusive; never exclusive or forbidding to those who earnestly seek. It is open, we believe, to all men."

Note that this is early on in the beginning stages of the spiritual growth. I was talking about the shift in accountability that occurs later on after we have received a fair amount of spiritual gifts. The load grows heavier for those who are fit enough to handle it.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
This corresponds with one of the many 2nd step promises:

"To us, the Realm of Spirit is broad, roomy, all inclusive; never exclusive or forbidding to those who earnestly seek. It is open, we believe, to all men."

Note that this is early on in the beginning stages of the spiritual growth. I was talking about the shift in accountability that occurs later on after we have received a fair amount of spiritual gifts. The load grows heavier for those who are fit enough to handle it.
good point thanks Bo..
Old 01-09-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For me this takes a lot of willingness on my part. For me it's about doing what I feel I should (with the direction of God) and not trying to control the results. THIS IS VERY HARD FOR ME TO DO. It's not that I don't want to do it or am a control freak. It's just such a new concept for me to do things in my life without expectations. Wether it's work relationships, personal life, etc... every action I make I have the desire to calculate the benifits for me. When those things don't happen I can get frustrated which leads to me wanting to control more.

Good topic. Like I said I have to actively work on being willing to be directed. It's about trust. Do I really trust my HP and do I give him control of my life completely. The answer is - sometimes. I want to arrive at the point where the answer is YES. It's a program of progress not perfection (luckily).

I am in sales and I used to get so upset with myself when someone didn't buy from me. I would constantly look at what I was doing wrong, what I should do next time, etc... It's occured to me that if I try and HELP rather than SELL that is more in line with what my HP wants me to do. I try and apply that thought process to my entire life. If I can come from a place of helpfulness I find myself much happier. Just my two cents....
Old 01-09-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i struggle with it too reggie.. it is a ODAAT thing for Sure!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Smile

thanks to all who shared!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know that without faith, my world was small and was ruled by fear. Even something as simple as a boat ride had be riddled with anxiety. With faith, the fear goes away, and the world opens up. It's a safer place if that makes any sense. The more willing I am to let go and trust, the more I receive.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ClosetExtrovert View Post
I know that without faith, my world was small and was ruled by fear. Even something as simple as a boat ride had be riddled with anxiety. With faith, the fear goes away, and the world opens up. It's a safer place if that makes any sense. The more willing I am to let go and trust, the more I receive.
yes.. it makes Perfect Sense to me CE.. fear knocked.. faith answered.. no one was there!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Was blind but now I see

I like to think of God as the light in a world of darkness. I like C.S. Lewis' quote:

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."