Notices

skins crawling

Old 01-09-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I did that for months. Slowly though I realized that those sober periods were pretty great and worth fighting for. I hope you get to the same point!
Old 01-09-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No, you're not nuts. Been there, done that, wore out the tshirt. Forgive yourself and start over. Very few of us have gotten sober the first go round. CarolD, our lovely leader, with 20 yrs sober, was in AA four years before finally staying sober. Dee fought it for many years. I was trying and failing for two years. But we eventually 'got it' and you can too.

Love yourself enough to start over and give it all you've got. You CAN do this. I have faith in you just as my friends here had faith in me... when I had little faith in myself.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Pick yourself up and start over. Have you learned anything from this that will help you next time?

Very few people stop drinking on the first try. It's usually takes a series of "successive approximations" until the new habit (not drinking) is learned.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Pick yourself up and start over. Have you learned anything from this that will help you next time?

Very few people stop drinking on the first try. It's usually takes a series of "successive approximations" until the new habit (not drinking) is learned.
I've learned that total sobriety is going to very difficult achieve and that I've got a long hard road ahead. But I am going to keep trying.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

There is a story in the Big book about the guy that likes to jump out in front of buses and move away at the last second. He keeps doing it till he gets hit. As soon as he gets better,he is jumping in front of buses again. The cycle keeps continuing.
Sounds crazy, but most all of us here understand completely.
Just remember what happened when you failed and learn from it,and quit jumping in front of buses.
Fred
Old 01-09-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by invisigoth View Post
I've learned that total sobriety is going to very difficult achieve and that I've got a long hard road ahead. But I am going to keep trying.
It's tough but IME it's tough like...climbing a mountain is tough. With lots of tangible rewards as you ascend! Truly most every day there is something to be happy about in sobriety. Even those crappy days.

For a lot of us the real turning point was fully accepting that alcohol was not an option anymore. I know I really had to realize that I would NEVER be happy with 'just a few' and 8 drinks every night wasn't cutting it either.

So glad to see you posting regularly. It really helps! Not just you but the whole community.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

The thing that really got me, and led to me falling off the wagon, was the physical urge I experienced. I had never felt anything like it, at least not to this extent. I'm very familiar with the mental craving but this time, and I was only 5 days dry, I was shaking and my heart was racing like I just drank 50 cups of coffee I was climbing the walls like a caged animal. I guess that was my first taste of what a real withdrawl feels like.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Withdrawal ends, and it doesn't really take that long. You have to fight through it, but then it gets a whole lot easier, at least from a physical standpoint.

This time you will be more prepared for it. You will know to expect it, and will have strategies to get through it. Eat a ton of ice cream. Watch a marathon of movies. Go to an AA clubhouse and go to one meeting after another. Do anything but go out and drink.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by invisigoth View Post
The thing that really got me, and led to me falling off the wagon, was the physical urge I experienced. I had never felt anything like it, at least not to this extent. I'm very familiar with the mental craving but this time, and I was only 5 days dry, I was shaking and my heart was racing like I just drank 50 cups of coffee I was climbing the walls like a caged animal. I guess that was my first taste of what a real withdrawl feels like.
If you are indeed experiencing physical withdrawals 5 days after you drank, then you should probably seek some medical help. Even severe physical withdrawals should not last more than a week.

However, psychological withdrawals can last for a long time--up to a year or more, depending on your physiology and how much you abused yourself with alcohol and drugs. Severe anxiety and panic attacks can easily be conditions of psychological withdrawals. It wouldn't hurt to seek some medical advise either, if your psychological withdrawals are this bad. Having panic attacks due to alcohol withdrawal is pretty serious and a sign that you have really abused your body and mind with alcohol.

It wasn't my intention to ramble off like I did. I was thinking about this post and just wanted to share with you another tool that I found helpful when dealing with similar situations that you just went through. That simple tool is: One day at a time.

It may sound corny, but this simple tool has pulled me through some rough times. All we have to do is just stay away from a drink or drug today. I have yet to wake up sober in the morning wishing I drank last night or wishing that I woke with a brutal hangover. I just don't wake up with disgust when I didn't drink the night before.

I have not always been successful with it, but when I rode out those tough times and got through them, it felt great. I really cherish my mornings after a night of not drinking. However, I did have many experiences waking up with disgust. I am not going to lie to you, its hard. I am really glad that you found us and wish you the best. We are all pulling for you.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

How are you doing today, Mr Spock?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please have an honest talk with a doctor about how best to
de tox. Be both safe and sober...

Don't have a doctor? Go to an ER ...say your heart is racing....
that you are trying to withdraw from alcohol again.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Agreed, medical detox might be much safer for you.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

You need professional detox, no question about it. If your skin feels like it's crawling then that is very serious. The next stages could lead to a full blown seizure. You can try taking one day at a time and focus on recovering once you've been detoxed. Good Luck