Notices

hi and AA question

Old 01-07-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi and AA question

Hi, I'm new to this sort of thing.

I'm on my 6th day of sobriety after 24 years of heavy drinking and/or pot smoking on a daily basis. So far, so good.

I've been seeing a couple of psychologists and one of them is urging me to go to an AA meeting. I'm skeptical but will give it a shot.

Looking around the Seattle AA site I see a plethora of options but I was wondering if there's a way to find out beforehand what sort of demographic groups tend to attend the various meetings. My shrink says to just start going to random ones but I don't have the time or inclination to do that.

That might sound like a weird question, I don't know. But I'd rather try to start out with a group that I feel I can relate to in terms of age, parental status, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

DRUNKS and former DRUNKS mostly. Demographics are not the deciding factor in my years of attendance. I have several lawyer and MDs who I count as fellows of AA and also know some real hard luck cases.

We all have at least one thing in common, after that it is a replication of the world outside of AA.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

AA meetings are full of alcoholics. If you're an alcoholic then it'll be full of people, just like you.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go to alot of meetings, I know, you are not inclined to do so... It is not what you think and there is no way to know before hand whether a particular group will resonate with you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...

Anonymity is a profound spiritual principle which transcends one's station in life....
Old 01-07-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

Good to know you are heading in a positive direction.

If you live in the surburbs you might want to find a
meeting near your home. Same deal....if you want
to go at your lunch hour or before/after your job.

This link may take some of the mystery about meetings away
tho it will not answer your specific question

http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/F...A_Meeting.html
Old 01-07-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liquorandndrugs View Post
Hi, I'm new to this sort of thing.

I'm on my 6th day of sobriety after 24 years of heavy drinking and/or pot smoking on a daily basis. So far, so good.

I've been seeing a couple of psychologists and one of them is urging me to go to an AA meeting. I'm skeptical but will give it a shot.

Looking around the Seattle AA site I see a plethora of options but I was wondering if there's a way to find out beforehand what sort of demographic groups tend to attend the various meetings. My shrink says to just start going to random ones but I don't have the time or inclination to do that.

That might sound like a weird question, I don't know. But I'd rather try to start out with a group that I feel I can relate to in terms of age, parental status, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.
When I was in residential rehab (2008) in Pasadena, CA there were television stars in the outside meetings we went to - in detox and rehab in a lower-income city in 2007 the mayor of the adjoining town was in there and in one of my simi-regular meetings now there is a former NBC executive, artists and published writers - oh and there is a movie director in there.

There are also homeless people - people on court cards - illiterate people - all races and all income levels - single parents - parents with up to 8 kids and people with no kids at all - one meeting I used to go to there was a guy suffering from schizophrenia and insisted that we all call him Jesus and AC/DC was his HP (he has since been medicated and is sober/clean and is now one of the most well-respected members of AA who is sponsoring several men.).......everyone has a story and everyone is treated with respect (for the most part.) So, it doesn't really matter where you go, just go.

My VERY VERY first meeting I went to (and I didn't go back for several more years) there were toothless, tattooed women in there and I totally looked down on them....I'm not like THAT!!! --- Well, I don't have all my teeth (I have bridges now, but back then I didn't) and I have a tattoo (on my right shoulder that I ALWAYS forget about)....hmmmm. My judgements kept me out of meetings and drinking/using for many years.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

For the record I'm no elitist. I'm not rich, famous, wildly successful, or anything like that. If you knew anything about my background you'd know that I don't look down on people.

The question arose because I figured it might be easier to relate to the problems of people my age especially.

But I am sure that a diverse group makes for an interesting meeting.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The meetings I've been to are certainly diverse in that all types and ages of people are there but all have one thing in common: the desire to stop drinking. I find we have more in common than not. And no, not everyone there would be my choice for a best friend forever... but I'm not there to make friends, I'm there to stay sober and help others stay sober too.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Liquor.....

That's a great question but everyone else basically answered it... some meetings do tend to attract different sorts of people though. People who are really serious about the program tend to stick together, people who like a softer-gentler approach tend to stick together, people who follow the traditions stick together,...and so on. You get the gist, I'm sure.

There's no directory of what meetings are like though. You basically have to find that out for yourself. I've got meetings I really enjoy that I go to but also meetings that drive me crazy that I go to. There tend to be lots of newcomers at what I call the "half-measure" meetings (the one's that are slack and the program really isn't pushed much) and even though they drive me crazy I still go. The newcomers seem to really like these meetings although they never stay sober and tend not to stick around for long - which is why I go... to try to snag them before they leave.

As you said, there are a lot of meetings in the major US cities. Just pick a couple, introduce yourself as someone new to AA, and listen for ppl who seem to have their lives together that you like....then ask them what meetings they like to go to, and you'll probably find more ppl like them there. It really doesn't take long to get a feel for what different meetings are like.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Chapter 2

THERE IS A SOLUTION

We, of ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, know thousands of men and women who were once just as hopeless as Bill. Nearly all have recovered. They have solved the drink problem.

We are average Americans. All sections of this country and many of its occupations are represented, as well as many political, economic, social, and religious backgrounds. We are people who normally would not mix. But there exists among us a fellowship, a friendliness, and an understanding which is indescribably wonderful. We are like the passengers of a great liner the moment after rescue from shipwreck when camaraderie, joyousness and democracy pervade the vessel from steerage to Captain's table. Unlike the feelings of the ship's passengers, however, our joy in escape from disaster does not subside as we go our individual ways. The feeling of having shared in a common peril is one element in the powerful cement which binds us. But that in itself would never have held us together as we are now joined.

The tremendous fact for every one of us is that we have discovered a common solution. We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree, and upon which we can join in brotherly and harmonious action. This is the great news this book carries to those who suffer from alcoholism.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you do want to narrow it down a little...there are meetings for women and for men.

There are young people's meetings...beginner meetings...speaker meetings, book study, ... so many to choose from.

Good Luck...and look for the similarities not the differences.

Openmindedness is helpful...
Old 01-07-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

Originally Posted by liquorandndrugs View Post
Thanks everyone.

For the record I'm no elitist. I'm not rich, famous, wildly successful, or anything like that. If you knew anything about my background you'd know that I don't look down on people.

The question arose because I figured it might be easier to relate to the problems of people my age especially.

But I am sure that a diverse group makes for an interesting meeting.
For someone to know the path that will lead you from where you are is not contingent on age, financial statements, social standing, race, economic reputation or education. The person who knows the way out may be different than you. Your part in this is to follow them. If your looking for friends, join a lonely hearts club. This is about saving your life.