Old 01-08-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
skg

What happened to keeping it simple?
Old 01-08-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Awakening...

navyvet,
When i went to my first few AA meetings, I wore a Buddhist prayer bracelet as a ******** to protect me from the AA's strange "God." My home group is in a rural farm community that votes Republican. No one has tried to shove God down my throat. I found no conflict with my spiritual path and the 12 Steps.

PS, my sponsor has 23 years today, and does not believe in God either.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Most often, I hear the term 'dry dunk' being used to refer to anyone that does things differently than the person using the term.

Dogma, in my mind, implies authoritative and not to be questioned. The AA program requires a whole lot of questioning and finding the truth for oneself. Nobody gets kicked out if they don't follow the program. If anything, current AA in most meetings is much to non-dogmatic to have the effectiveness it once had.

I look at it more as pragmatism than dogmatism. The actions laid out in the BB have worked for nearly everyone who sincerely and thoroughly does them. That's been the practical experience of those who have taken the Steps and recovered. You don't have to do them, but if you can't stay sober, you might want to give it a shot.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks keithj for the replies. I'm eventually going to get my butt back in AA as it's the only game in town for face to face talking about this disease,unless I wanted to pay a therapist but I'm not down with that. I just wanted to rant for a little bit and you let me along with everybody else I might add. I'm really gratefull for finding this place dare I say it's been a godsend.