Notices

Supplements/vitimins

Old 01-06-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Supplements/vitimins

Anyone know of anything that can be taken to help with cravings?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Personally - I take a 500mg Vit C, and a Multi-Vitamin w/Iron daily. That seems to get me through most days since it covers the daily requirements.

As far as cravings go, I'm not so experienced in that area just yet, but try the multivitamin, it couldn't hurt.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would check with a Dr., and many Dr.'s will tell you that supplements and such don't really do anything, and just eat right.

That being said, besides from my normal B vitamins, especially B-1 and B-6, I take a multi that has vitamin C, folic acid and fish oil, and for cravings I just started taking St. John's Wort, and L-5 Hydroxy Tryptophan, which is supposed to boost your serotonin and promote calming and relaxation. They seem to make me feel better, but it could just be a placebo effect...and as far as that, much of recovery is mental, so a placebo effect is good.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you speak with your doctor they do have medications for cravings. I was on one called Campril (I think was the name). It was doctor prescribed and after a few months sober I stopped taking them. To me it is the mental cravings that have to be addressed.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I keep a supply of frozen fruit popsicles by Dreyer's. I also am a fan of a good piece of chocolate!

Perhaps a piece of fruit would help as well. Bananas are good with plenty of potassium.

Be careful with the fish oil! So much anchovy and sardines increases purine levels in body leading to raised uric acid levels which can cause gout!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Idiot!

L-Glutamine is the thing that really helped me with cravings.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

just a reminder to everyone

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Any medications you do read of here as part of someone else's personal experience should be discussed with your physician - what worked for someone else may not suitable for you.

I never took any meds for cravings - it was rough but I got through.

I made sure I ate well and if things got really bad I'd suck on a candy - cleaning your teeth is another alternative.

Cravings *are* finite events - we can get through them.
I've found this link useful

Overcoming Life's Obstacles: Urge Surfing to beat addictions and cravings

D
Old 01-06-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Remember when taking vitamins there is such a thing as too much. If i recall correctly Vitamins A and B12 are things you dont want too much of. Especially A.

That said don't let the ease of a multi vitamin keep you away from eating healthy. A diet change is usually the best when you are looking to help your body. All the multi vitamins in the world are no good if you have a bad diet.

Try adding fruit in for a snack here and there. Augment your diet with fruit, salads and nuts. Salads are a easy way to eat veggies if you are not a huge fan. For me its the wopitooie of veggies. I'm not real big on veggies.

Im a bacon kind of a guy
Old 01-06-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You get all the vitamins and minerals your body needs from a varied diet. Is there any scientific proof of supplements curbing cravings?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was told that cravings only occur after I have the first drink. Wants can be fought with opposite wants. If I want to stay sober more than I want to drink, guess what? The spiritual malady is what was feeding the want to drink. Prayer is what feeds the want to stay sober. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was told that cravings occur because of dopamine, it is the chemical in our brain that directs us to do things.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dismember

Yes, please listen to Dee and the forum rules folks.

For instance, someone mentioned St. John's Wort and Tryptophan (sp?) Some might find those things helpful and natural ways to improve themselves, but both of those could cause very adverse reactions with the medication I am taking. Doctor says.

Over-the-counter does not mean harmless and wise. Be careful what you take, it doesn't hurt to ask for professional help. Vitamins are good. I am told that the human body kind of likes them, but anything in excess or in contraindication to medicine can do you a world of hurt.

I also concur with Dee's suggestion, cravings are temporary. Best thing I found wasn't the folk remedies but not investing them with my mental energy.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
Yes, please listen to Dee and the forum rules folks.

For instance, someone mentioned St. John's Wort and Tryptophan (sp?) Some might find those things helpful and natural ways to improve themselves, but both of those could cause very adverse reactions with the medication I am taking. Doctor says.

Over-the-counter does not mean harmless and wise. Be careful what you take, it doesn't hurt to ask for professional help. Vitamins are good. I am told that the human body kind of likes them, but anything in excess or in contraindication to medicine can do you a world of hurt.

I also concur with Dee's suggestion, cravings are temporary. Best thing I found wasn't the folk remedies but not investing them with my mental energy.
Sorry about the Tryptophan and St. John's Wort comment, but I prefaced it with "you should ask your Dr.", and I said it was what I was currently trying, I wasn't recommending it. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I bought a book called 7 weeks to sobriety when I "sobered up".
It talks about cravings and vitamins,and hypoglycemia.
I wen't to all the pharmacy departments to find what things I could get. It's all over the counter stuff. I probably spent over 100 bucks on vitamins,and body building ingrediants.. I couldn't find all ,but I found most of it.
Glutamine,Amino acids ,Ester-C were a few. It might have been in my head, but I really believe it helped. If you really are an alcoholic,your body is deprived of vitamins,and health in general. The theory is if you start feeling better,you won't be so anxious to drink.
The book talks about it in quite a bit of detail. The person that wrote the book has a detox center that claims really good results. She lost her son claiming he was hypoglycemic.
Just google 7 weeks to sobriety. Amazon has the book for about 10 bucks. Googling will also show the detox place.
I did a lot of times throw the rules out the window,and eat 1/2 a chocolate cake.( yes half a cake). I never felt like drinking after all of that chocolate. But you aren't supposed to do that.
But I truly believe vitamins helped me through the rough times. I am coming up on 2 years in march. I still take glutamine,B vitamins,Ester-C and Amino acidsalong with a multivitamin.
Fred
Old 01-06-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i take both St. Johns Wort (300mg 3X a day) and SAM-e...(800mg in the AM)...i take these to ward off my depression...i wasn't sure they worked at all....until i ran out for 10 days....i try to use these in supplement to exercise and a heavy dose of high octane coffee...it boosts MY seratonine levels...(or its a placebo effect).

i try to eat a good clean diet and also take a good multi, calcium, D-3 2500 mg. and some liver anti-oxidants, NAC....it's hard to get in 5 servings of veggies everyday, but i do get at least 2 and 1 fruit.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was given a book titled Alcoholics Anonymous. In it I found a letter from a doctor William D. Silkworth of Townes Hospital that spoke of the phenomenon of craving that occurred once I put alcohol in my body. So just don't drink right? Well, for a guy like me that doesn't work...see...I had this strange obsession in my mind that told me to drink and I could never completely just block that out. So...I would drink and set off this craving...what's a guy like me to do then??? Fortunately the authors of this book included a program of recovery that worked for them. So I began the journey of these 12 steps...and wouldn't you know, it worked for me too!!! The 12 steps are a path to God. God relieves me of the bondage of self and with that goes the obsession to drink. ABCs, God could and would if he were sought.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Dismember

Supercrew,

Totally cool! I didn't mean to suggest that those things were bad or that you were leading people astray!

You qualified your post well enough, I just wanted to lend my personal touch that, yes, one shouldn't just go off of what other people have tried and done. That had nothing to do with you though!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by omegasupreme View Post
I was given a book titled Alcoholics Anonymous. In it I found a letter from a doctor William D. Silkworth of Townes Hospital that spoke of the phenomenon of craving that occurred once I put alcohol in my body. So just don't drink right? Well, for a guy like me that doesn't work...see...I had this strange obsession in my mind that told me to drink and I could never completely just block that out. So...I would drink and set off this craving...what's a guy like me to do then??? Fortunately the authors of this book included a program of recovery that worked for them. So I began the journey of these 12 steps...and wouldn't you know, it worked for me too!!! The 12 steps are a path to God. God relieves me of the bondage of self and with that goes the obsession to drink. ABCs, God could and would if he were sought.
No offense Omega, but we are discussing vitamins and supplements that might help to make someone healthier and also might help release chemicals in the brain like serotonin, that has been proven to ease mental cravings.

Feeling like you are part of a group and you are safe and shielded within that group, (like AA), is also proven to release serotonin in the brain which helps ease mental cravings as well, but I think it's a little off topic in this thread.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Using a little common sense, the general topic here is cravings.
I see nothing here that's OT.

Lets not drag this thread through the well worn ground of AA or not to AA.
I can't see how that would be useful to the OP.

D
Old 01-07-2011, 03:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
I think we often make the idea of cravings a bigger deal
than the actual fact.
The final 5 years of my active addiction were so mentally
depressing...my urges were a small blip on my journey
to a healthier future..

In early sobriety....
I timed my cravings.

They were 5-7 minutes in duration.
Not too long too endure discomfort
Soooo....I took action.
Walked...rushed my teeth... Drank cold water...Hard candy

Within 2 weeks...the lessened in both time and intensity.
By 2 or so months .... they vanished.

Now...were they mental or physical?
Darn if I know. Nor do I care.

With my doctors agreement...I was following an eating plan for
hypoglycemia ...taking a daily B-12 and munti-vitamin.