Notices

Lonely

Old 01-07-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Do you go to AA meetings? The reason AA works is the fellowship, it's peer support in staying sober. What I've found is that few things make me as happy as helping another alcoholic.

Some people can stay sober alone, I'm not one of them. In isolation I certainly would have picked up a drink.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
The reason AA works is the fellowship, it's peer support in staying sober.
Not in my experience. I sat in the fellowship, surrounded by all the support and love a guy could ask for, and was dying in those rooms. I also didn't stay sober. My story is played out by countless newcomers in the room every day who are mistakenly told that AA is about peer support.

When I did what was actually suggested, I recovered.

AA is very precise as to what AA is about. Getting connected with a higher power of my understanding that will solve my problem.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Do you go to AA meetings? The reason AA works is the fellowship, it's peer support in staying sober. What I've found is that few things make me as happy as helping another alcoholic.

Some people can stay sober alone, I'm not one of them. In isolation I certainly would have picked up a drink.
My experiences are that peer support fellowships are very helpful amongst recovering alcoholics to eventually become in turn recovered alcoholics, but not to the point as being the most importantly essential element to achieve that wanted sobriety. Many persons will recover and live great lives with out having acquired great fellowship with alcoholics. As well, others must have that great fellowship a real reality or else it [recovery] fails for them. I've been on both sides of the equation: neither side is superior to the other is my own experience -- it really comes down to the individual and how they choose to recover and live a recovered life. Its not really one size fits all for any of us says I, and even more so, I have yet to see any alcoholic recover and not personalise their recovery into their own lives as they progress. We can all share a common purpose as we may or may not choose to personalise, but even so, eventually we all [alcoholics] have to live our own individual lives with recovery or die without recovery.

Serious descisions no matter our way forward.

FWIW, helping, being helped, and fellowshipping with fellow alcoholics and others rock my world too!

Rob
Old 01-07-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

How'd that interview go?
Old 01-07-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yeah SLeepie..I have been following this thread. I never told you this...but I am a fan of yours. You are direct..honest ..open. I am hoping you find sobriety FILLED with happiness..I really wish that for you.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hope the interview goes well, And keep pushing the extra-curriculars Sleepie. I think getting out of your place and around some real people will do you a world of good.

Team Sleepie's Top Member & President,

-Isaiah
Old 01-07-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey, can I be Team Sleepie's Sergeant at Arms and Honorary Treasurer?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Sleepie,

so what's the dilly yo?

remember, if this one didn't work out, there will be others...btw...have you ever tried a temp agency? most of my friends got good jobs that way.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks, all of you... you are too kind. I was really ready to go out and buy a bottle as it's getting to be that lonely late night hour... Maybe now I will settle for a cup of tea. Team Sleepie... I am flattered! And thank you Ms.Cooter. I am one of three people who have landed final interviews- as far as I've been told. I'll see how it plays out next week. That will be the third interview for this position. Geez! You all made me giggle... Thanks