Notices

New Year's revelations

Old 01-01-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Year's revelations

Well I have posted about my friend being here and about being around (or excluding myself from) drinkers/users. My friend understood once we talked it out, but I did offer to drive a 's mini-van last night to keep them from getting dwi's. Even though I've been troubling with cravings and holiday temptations, Somehow being around it and saying no seems to empower me, and the cravings quiet down.
Last night I was around mostly drunk/high people. Which for the first 10 minutes was a temptation for me, but my friend wasn't partaking in any of that either, so at least I knew she was sober too. After about 20min at the party I realized I was having fun just being sober and not even thinking about drinking. To me, that is a very new feeling. I have never associated a good time out with not drinking.
When I had lunch today with my sponsor he told me he thought being exposed to all that was very bad idea, and in retrospect, he had very valid point. But I did it by choice. I didn't use anything though, and had a great time. It fanned the flames of hope that living sober can be just as or more fun than living drunk.
Midnight rolled around and I thought about how I was completely and utterly sober this New Years, AND proud about it.
It makes the hard days worth it, to have the days when I'm so happy I don't have to be drunk to cope with life.
Ok, enough wordy posts and s***. I'll make a blog or something.

This place has been a lot of help too, such a database of great knowledge, experience, and support.
Thanks.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your sponsor is right ... it was a very bad idea. What I do know is I'm powerless over alcohol and being around it -- or someone under the influence -- my life can become unmanageable in a nanosecond.

You're flirting with your disease, taking chances with sobriety. I hope you look at it with your sponsor.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

Everyone is different... Early on in recovery I wouldn't suggest being around alcohol or your "temptations". For me, yes I am powerless over drinking.. Am I powerless about being around alcohol, or being around my friends or family who are "normal drinkers" for the most part, or going out with said people? No, I am not, Some people are. I am definitely powerless over that first drink..

As for me I like to go out with my brother or friends and have a good time and just hang out.. Sometimes I reminisce about some of the good times I've had while drinking, but the thoughts and memories of the bad times trump that reminiscent thought and I can handle being around alcohol and people who drink alcohol. For me, and this is my recovery, but I can't be afraid of alcohol, it is everywhere, and being afraid of it is just going to make what anxiety I have worse..

I'm starting to ramble a bit but all in all everyone is different, and in different areas within there recovery. I definitely do not suggest or encourage any newcomer to continue to go to bars, or parties, or whatever, but some people can't just erase any relationship they have had with friends or family just because they drink and you do not. I don't go to bars often.. Hardly ever, only on special occasions with my brother, I do go to parties or get togethers because really not "everyone" there is drinking... Ok I'm rambling again lol.. it's been a few weeks since I've had computer access and been to the site.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know it wasn't the wisest thing to do. She is gone now, and I don't expect myself to be in that situation again anytime soon, if at all. I guess the point I was making was it felt good to be sober, and I was having a good time sober. In my experience that doesn't happen to me often. I went out for one night as the DD, and I did kinda like knowing that I was around it and was able to say now, and even more easily as the night went on. I beat temptation. That doesn't mean it wasn't there at first. It doesn't mean it was a good idea.
Like GreenAces said, I think it is good (for me at least) to get used to being around people who use alcohol. I can't change my living situation for at least the next 2 months, and there's alcohol in the house. I don't touch it. It is counted just to make sure I don't. And last night, everyone at the house knew I was the DD (actually made a killing charging $4 for a ride for cigs to the gas station). I don't want to have to hide from the bottles. I'd rather be able to be strong enough to say no, and have the appropriate "tools" to deal with any sort of exposure to alcohol.

I can just ramble and ramble lol. The simple point I guess is that I felt good to be able to go out and have a good time and be sober. To me, that's a big thing, and I'll let it be. In all my attempts to stay clean I have never felt like that. Meetings help, and my sponsor is good. I never thought I'd give myself to "the program" as other people in detox/rehab called it, but it's working for me now. I'm sticking with it.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, being around alcohol isn't a problem....unless I decide to drink it. No one but me can persuade me to drink, and no one but me can persuade me not to drink. I went to parties and events all summer and fall and had a great time sober and turning down drink offers, and I didn't even crave it, but the moment I lost sight of my recovery program I thought it would be a good idea to test myself and made the decision to pick it up again, (2 tall boys) alone. When I am mentally prepared it hasn't been an issue, but the alcoholic mind (at least mine),tends to forget things when not kept in the front of my head. I would never recommend especially in early recovery to be around it, but if you are hardheaded like me, and you are active daily in your recovery it might not be a problem.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Listen more, make new friends (through the program and outside), get a job and start looking into grad school possibly enrolling.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I was around alcohol on new years myself, I wouldn't say it was easy, but I made it through just drinking soda. And by the end of the night I had a natural high of just being tired so that made things pretty fun.

I agree you sponsor had a very valid point, but give yourself a pat on the back for unleashing sheer human will power. =3

Kudos on staying sober, keep it real!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi. I'll just give you an often used saying but one that I think it true. "If you hang around a barbershop long enough, eventually you'll get a haircut". For me I don't try and be "over the top" about avoiding being around booze, but driving a bunch of drunk people around, IMO, is a bad idea. Nothing good can really come of it. Just my two cents.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
High on Life

I feel like sometimes people think that just because we gave up drinking alcohol that we have to live under a rock. I don't follow this philosophy, but my situation is a little different. If we really want to drink all we have to do is go to the store and buy it, it's that simple. Unless you plan to become some sort of recluse, you really can't avoid alcohol.