Notices

job

Old 12-31-2010, 04:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

job

Hi All,

Wonder if I can your advice on something. I started a new job in a city a couple of hours from my home. It’s a three month contract so renting an apartment is difficult so I’ve been staying in hotels/b&bs during the week. Fist week on the job I drank one evening to blackout and ended up chipping my tooth, tearing clothes and not to mention causing a raucous where I was staying. I went to work the next day but must have stank of alcohol. I went to two AA meetings the following days but didn’t share (find it difficult talk about personal things in groups – I really want to get over this though). Anyway I drank again the next week for one night and again arrived in work the worse for wear again.

Over Christmas I again missed work for a few days (surpassingly due to difficulty traveling with snow but in reality drinking). My boss sounded ok in email but I could tell he wasn’t impressed. Again this week I didn’t turn up either – the latest excuse if that I have flu.

I went to a meeting last night and did share. The problem I have is that I’m not sure whether I can hold down a job at the moment. I can survive financially without it (just about) – I’m wondering if I should throw in the towel now with the job and concentrate in getting sober time and getting to mettings? Ideally I would like to do something else in terms of work so I could explore this as well.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

Not sure, exactly, but I can think of a couple pros/cons.

+ Having a job is a matter of accountability. It's a little fire under your butt to take AA/sobriety seriously.

- If you are struggling to make meetings, meet with sponsors then your recovery is coming a little in second. I have also taken some time in unemployment in early/difficult sobriety because I didn't want to jump into work I feared I wouldn't be able to keep. Not much good in having a job on your resume you got fired from for drunkenness.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Eire,

Sorry to hear you are struggling. Not easy at all. All the old things happen again, like innumerable flus and stomach bugs....we all have rang work with the same old excuses I think.

In response to your request for advice, well I think you know that not working might be your alcoholic mind really conning you, thinking about more drinking time than recovery time. On the other hand, my counsellor told me not to work and concentrate on my recovery, but in hindsight it was the best move taking on a challenging job, as I am very busy and naturally tired at the end of a day.

I hope you do what's best for you. I don't miss hangovers at all. I like having money to pay my bills and other stuff. I do get a yen for a drink, I just push it away, I have had my bottoms and I'm tired of them.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Eire,

So sorry to hear you are struggling but we've all been there before.

I agree with the above pros and cons. The issues you bring up that concerns me are the apparent environment you're in that makes it so easy to drink and the time you've taken off. You may want to see where you stand with your boss when you return to work. If things are OK, then you need to honestly ask yourself if you can control your evenings. I'm guessing any more time off for being "sick" won't be tolerated.

In the end, only you can make these calls.

Take care
Old 12-31-2010, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I think if you're not going to work, you should do inptatient rehab. I think you need some kind of FT structured gig (afforded by either a job or treatment). At least I did!
Old 12-31-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ive left two jobs because of alcohol problems and its a horrible lonely feeling but sometimes you have to go with your gut feelings and leaving those jobs made me realise i had to seriously address this problem. It made me realise i seriously had a problem and am currently trying to fix it.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
High on Life

Why don't you consider taking a leave of absence and going into a rehab or something? Just quitting your job to "concentrate" on getting sober and going to meetings doesn't sound like much of a plan.

Plus you will have even less responsibility, doesn't sound too good....
Old 12-31-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I was fired from 3 jobs in 3 years due to my drinking. In reality, I ruined my reputation, burned bridges and had more time for drinking. I drank for 2 more years before I was ready to quit. It was a horrifying experience, but it got me to place where I needed to be, sober. I feel lucky to have recovered from my drinking and to rebuild my reputation. I live in a small town and opportunities are limited. Thank goodness for second chances. Good luck and I hope you focus on recovery. There is a solution.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for replies you've given me plenty to think about. I have previous form with this as I left last job after two months. Again alcohol, lies etc. etc.

I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and going back except this time but get as many meetings in as I can. I hope to God I can make some progress this time.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The AA program is learning to live by useing our AA steps.
I strongly suggest you not only attend meetings
but quickly begin the Steps with a sponsor.....

I've no experience with the job market in Ireland.
Can't give you advice on what to do regarding your situation.