Notices

anyone ever glad they slipped up?

Old 12-29-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Even though I've been sober several decades, only recently has it occured to me that we make a choice to drink and a choice to not drink. You choose to drink.

None of us are here to judge you, only offer whatever support possible. As others have stated, it's your choice, no one can make it for you.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by northend79 View Post
I've been sober for a few months with a pretty epic slip up last month ( I posted about it). Anyhow, the last time I stopped drinking was because I had basically hit rock bottom, and really had not other choice.

I wasn't drinking but had never flipped my mind over to recovery mode. I just didn't drink. Still thought about it, missed it, wanted to do it.

Then last month happened, and I couldn't be in denial anymore. Also, something else changed, I still can't pinpoint what, but I know I didn't want to drink.

Anyhow, yesterday, I hung with friends who are drinkers. I conciously made the decision to drink. I was coming of an overnight stretch of work, and one thing I've learned, is when I'm overtired, I make poor decisions.

I was with people I trust, my child was away, and I don't have to work again until Friday. I drank, and didn't enjoy myself.

This morning, my head and bank account are suffering.

I am not trying to justify with myself why it's okay I did that yesterday. I know it was wrong. I don't plan to do it again. Totally different mind frame then the other times I've drank while trying to recover.

I feel like I've finally gotten control over my drinking, by having another slip up yesterday.

Does that make sense? That now I can really truly see how it's not working for me to drink anymore? Or am I just playing head games with myself, and don't want to admit that I am really having a hard time with this.
Slipping up is never good when you decide you want to stop doing something, but hoenstly youre your own person and can make your own decisions. But anyway you have to realize that alchohol as a whole isnt necessarily a bad thing (thoguh some may think it is) like drinking alcohol isnt bad as long as you can manage it. Its like someone who weighs 1000 pounds and thinks food is the enemy. Food isnt the enemy, its your obession over it. Or like someone who eats sweets, becomes a diabetic, and thinks sweets is the problem, sweets wasnt the problem. It was you and whatever was going on in your head and your life that caused you to to choose to be obessive over it.
But you have to understand and come to terms if you are an "alcoholic" or not. Drinking a few beers every now and again doesnt warrant alcoholic and theres no need for treatment for that, but this is the place to really try and find out if you are indeed alcoholic and if so get help (or if you are on the road to becoming an alcoholic). So if you do beileve you are an alcoholic or are on the road to being one and you slipped up then yes thats a bad thing and you shouldnt again because alcoholism can lead to so many bad things down the road....
Old 12-30-2010, 08:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by northend79 View Post
I've been sober for a few months with a pretty epic slip up last month ( I posted about it). Anyhow, the last time I stopped drinking was because I had basically hit rock bottom, and really had not other choice.

I wasn't drinking but had never flipped my mind over to recovery mode. I just didn't drink. Still thought about it, missed it, wanted to do it.

Then last month happened, and I couldn't be in denial anymore. Also, something else changed, I still can't pinpoint what, but I know I didn't want to drink.

Anyhow, yesterday, I hung with friends who are drinkers. I conciously made the decision to drink. I was coming of an overnight stretch of work, and one thing I've learned, is when I'm overtired, I make poor decisions.

I was with people I trust, my child was away, and I don't have to work again until Friday. I drank, and didn't enjoy myself.

This morning, my head and bank account are suffering.

I am not trying to justify with myself why it's okay I did that yesterday. I know it was wrong. I don't plan to do it again. Totally different mind frame then the other times I've drank while trying to recover.

I feel like I've finally gotten control over my drinking, by having another slip up yesterday.

Does that make sense? That now I can really truly see how it's not working for me to drink anymore? Or am I just playing head games with myself, and don't want to admit that I am really having a hard time with this.
OH YES!!! I was sober for almost 6 months and I decided to drink on two occassions two weeks apart and I am glad I did and slipped because it reaffirmed my decision to QUIT all together! If it wasn't for those slip ups I'd probably end up worse I think. Its strange but it's how it has worked for me.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

glad I slipped/relapsed

never ...... because when I have, it's withdrawals all over again. A "slip" for me is an all out binge.

Learn a lesson from it? Yes ....