Notices

movie alert...

Old 12-27-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

movie alert...

Just an FYI....The movie 'The Days of Wine & Roses' is on TCM tonight at 10pm est. I know it's short notice, sorry.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Thank you. It is a real CLASSIC.

Love and hugs,
Old 12-27-2010, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm watching this movie now. These people act ******** in this movie. I know it's from 1962 but jeeze this is plain crazy. The flower pot scene and then the part when lemon is in a straight jacket. Really? I have never been like this. Granted I have done some stupid stuff and been out of control but not really like this.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DownWDisease View Post
I'm watching this movie now. These people act ******** in this movie. I know it's from 1962 but jeeze this is plain crazy. The flower pot scene and then the part when lemon is in a straight jacket. Really? I have never been like this. Granted I have done some stupid stuff and been out of control but not really like this.
Thanks for the heads up! I am watching it now as well....

DownWdisease - I don't think it is to crazy to be honest. In just the past few months of attending AA I have heard of numerous people ending up in the psych ward from drinking....Plus I am not proud of this but I can remember tearing my room to shreads looking for a bottle I thought was hidden previously. They are acting ********, just like I did when I was drinking
Old 12-27-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

The flower pot scene and then the part when lemon is in a straight jacket. Really? I have never been like this. Granted I have done some stupid stuff and been out of control but not really like this.
I have and worse. Actually it is a pretty damn good portrayal of what can and does happen in advanced alcoholism. 9 years before I found recovery I was in the psych ward for 6 months. Straight jackets and the Thorazine Shuffle.

Take note, it's not crazy. It does happen like this and worse.

The tag line used to promote this movie:

"This, in its own terrifying way, is a love story."

How true that is, first I fell in love with alcohol and then it became my MASTER.

J M H O

The first time I watched this after finding recovery I realized what an EXCELLENT portrayal they did of two people affected by alcoholism.

Love and hugs,
Old 12-27-2010, 09:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow. That wasn't the way I thought this movie would end. I'm kinda bummed.

Patman
Day 18
Old 12-27-2010, 09:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also know someone that apparently had to be tied down in some mental ward and put in a straight jacket. It could have been a rumor but this particular person was pretty bad off on the booze. This person was young too like 20-22. I can see how it could eventually happen. Especially if you go on long benders and such. To be quite honest, I may have done stuff similar to this and I'm not 100% sure. I know for damn sure I did some crazy stuff while I was drunk, but just never to the point of having to be put in a psych ward and tied down with a straight jacket. I have definetly been a fiend for booze but not to that point. Movie was pretty good though.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh, I just posted about this in newcomers...

My brother is 25 years sober in AA tomorrow... He has sponsored many... He calls being tied down in a mental hospital ... being "on the flight deck" ... he has personally made more than just a couple 12 step calls there. It happens.

Very compelling story, especially how he finally recovers and she does not... As relevant now as it was 50 years ago...

I never tore up a greenhouse nor did I find myself on the flight deck......... yet.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

LOL @ The thorazine shuffle, AKA..The Thousand Yard Stare...

Though it may be dated, I've seen people act the same way through the stages of addiction they portrayed. The part with the Lemmon Character making amends to the father in law...very real life.