Notices

NA Beer

Old 12-27-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NA Beer

I wanted to hear some thoughts on non alcoholic beer. I have a family memebr that was drinking about same amount of beer daily as me for at least the 9 or 10 year span I was. In the last few months he has stoped same as me but he and I feel alot alike when it comes to beer drinking - oddly neither one of use really enjoyed getting drunk we both liked the acitivity of drinking the beer more than being drunk - sounds odd I know.

Anyway he has started to drink NA beer at times that one would enjoy a beer most of all like fishing or other outdoor activites.

Has anyone here tried this before with good outcomes or is this in general a bad idea?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

Don't feel bad about this, but this topic comes up a lot. Don't be surprised if there are some "not this again!" replies.

I think that in general it is a bad idea. That is, based on what I've personally heard from numerous people who decided to try it. It doesn't necessarily lead a lot of people to relapse with real beer. The problem is that in some cases it does, and I think it's a matter of there being a trade-off: is the taste/effect of a NA beer worth it if it meant even a 10% chance you'd pick up again?

That said, I do drink it myself on rare occasions. I don't drink it as a substitute where I would otherwise drink beer (e.g., fishing trip?) I don't think that is a healthy mindset at all. I only drink it because I like the taste of one brand and sometimes I'd rather have that than a soda at a restaurant. But I absolutely do not use it as any sort of "substitute." Definitely would not recommend that.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

IMHO, and the scientific studies of those engaged in the studies of alcoholic relapse, playing with near-beer [NA Beer] is akin to playing Russian Roulette.

The anticipation of alcohol that occurs from drinking near-beer may raise levels of a brain chemical called dopamine, which plays a role in feelings of elation and pleasure. This would be considered "tripping the trigger" on a compulsive craving, something a person with a history of alcoholic loss of control wouldn't have any control over. Popping the top on a can of near beer would be like putting a revolver to your head and pulling the trigger. Sooner or later, there will be an undesirable, though very predictable, result.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had an NA beer in the summer...on a really hot day.....it was everything like a beer except it was .5 I won't do it again...brought back a whole lot of sensations.....not worth it to me!!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I drank beer to get drunk, so I don't see the point.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not This Again !! ....

If you have to ask... probably a bad idea... I have one now and then, but only when out to dinner and much less often now... for reasons that are getting less and less important to me...

I did experiment with it as a substitute... activities like you describe... fishing, skiing, outdoor cooking, etc.... no no no, !!! bad idea, it just felt weird and did not leave me satisfied.... so I never drink it in those situations...

I know, clear as mud... welcome to recovery!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Most people here feel that non-alcoholic (actually, most contain 0.05% alcohol) is a bad idea because it's flirting with disaster. Many feel it will cause them to crave the real thing. Most say they drank beer to get drunk and not because they especially liked the taste. Of course, those people should definitely stay away from it.

On the other hand, there are those who will have a N/A brew occasionally. While it doesn't taste exactly like beer, it's close enough that it satisfies wanting that beer taste with certain foods, etc. I am one of those people. I would never suggest anyone try it if they were in the least bit fearful that it could cause them to crave the real thing. That has never happened with me and I have 2 1/2 years sober. I don't drink it that often; in fact, I haven't had any in a couple of months.

In other words, it's a very personal decision.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JOBL View Post

oddly neither one of use really enjoyed getting drunk we both liked the acitivity of drinking the beer more than being drunk - sounds odd I know.
I forgot... I wanted to comment on that... are you certain? really deep down sure... how do you really separate all that out... ? You know?

I used to say that before I got recovered, while still drinking.... I wonder, speaking for myself, if just the activity of drinking beer.... taste, refreshment, habit.... alone, ie not related to the buzz... was what I liked... but now I know the truth... it was the buzz I was after, even if I didn't acknowledge that to myself... even if I justified and rationalized it... yea it tastes good, but did I really need 12?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

.......Is there a "NA BEER - Q&A" sticky somewhere? .......if not, maybe there should be. Perhaps one of the hiiiiiiiiiiiiiighly paid moderators (lol) could grab one of the past na-beer threads, edit out the inevitable trash-talking that seems to get started when this subject pops up, and sticky it at the top of the Alcoholism forum?

.....just a thought.

JOBL, na-beer is really up to you. Some consider drinking it a slip, some don't. Some ppl drink it and proclaim it helped them give up the "real" stuff.

From what I've experienced in my short handful of years of sobriety.......and from what I've read here when this topic comes up....... the general consensus is that na beer tends to be a path that's best avoided - if you're an alcoholic.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JOBL View Post
Has anyone here tried this before with good outcomes or is this in general a bad idea?
I haven't tried it. I never drank for the taste. I drank for the effects.

Is it a bad idea? I don't know. I take the "to each their own" on this one. As long as your friend is being honest and vigilant, then there shouldn't be a problem. Then again, it could be a trigger. I am sort of ambivalent about this.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I tried it for a while in the early days, it did seem to help a little the first few times. After that, I began to believe it was keeping my mental craving going. I guess I would suggest it may help someone in the first few months to help curb the habitual cravings. More than two to three months sober I would say it begins to fuel the mental cravings and could cause you to relapse to real beer. I know at this point in my own sobriety it is a bad idea for me to dabble in it as it would cause me to want the real thing.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dismember

All I know is my personal favorite is NA vodka. You can find it marketed under the brand: water.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies - I understand this may be a question that is asked often. My fear is that if I have a few of these I will find my self thinking that I can go back to the real deal and not have the problem I did before.

I do miss the tast of the beer most of all when outdoors..........
Old 12-27-2010, 09:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

My advice, such as it is, is that if you feel in any way that it could cause you to crave the real thing, then please, stay away from it. There are thousands of other drinks out there that taste great and don't cause cravings for alcohol. Your gut is your best indicator of what to do. I never go wrong when I trust my gut instincts.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

JOBL, don't you mean that you and the drinking friend liked to "nurse" the beers? In other words, you were the type of drinkers that would go at them steadily but surely and not necessarily slamming them back like hellraisers? I think the distinction is just the turtle and the hare, they both know how to get to the place?

If the friend is only drinking the NA beer and not returning to the real thing, then maybe it works for him. But you could be different from him; and beyond that, one or both of you could change down the road.

I don't drink it, because it would be like a gateway for me, as was hinted above. It would probably have something about it that would get me interested in going back to the real thing. And it probably has an unpleasant taste for me to begin with. Not that I necessarily liked real beer in the way I liked water or something refreshing, it was just something I hypnotized myself into liking because of the way it got me drunk.

I think it's one of those things that just varies among people, when it comes to the question of danger. Some people can handle it because there is no connection to their alcoholism in it for them, and others cannot. How people can be so different is the same as how some people are touchy/feely while others are touch-me-nots. There could very well be a number of people that could handle it too, but just don't try, and leave it that way.

Each person figures out where they fit in.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I guess it would all depend on if you actually enjoyed the taste of beer and are being honest with yourself that it is just the taste you miss.
I loved rum/vodka/whiskey and coke/cola, drinking coke now doesn't make me want to drink alcohol but I have always loved the taste of coke/cola.
Drinking NA beer for me would be far more about some kind of nostalgia for getting drunk and that would be dangerous.
Also consider all the beverages in the world that you have not tried...most are also NA so maybe try those first....
Old 12-27-2010, 10:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
I drank beer to get drunk, so I don't see the point.
Kinda like a former pothead smoking oregano.

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
All I know is my personal favorite is NA vodka. You can find it marketed under the brand: water.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I drink NA beer. Not all the time, but occasionally. It's an extremely rare thing for me to go through a whole six pack even at lengthy gatherings. I like the taste, especially with certain foods. I have never felt a "buzz" and with 21 yrs sober I have never been tempted to pick up a "leaded" one (one of my buddies calls the NA beer "unleaded").

Utilizing the formula for calculating Blood Alcohol Content (Proof X Ounces X Gender Variable, divided by weight) it turns out that in order to achieve the blood alcohol content of one "real" beer one would have to drink nearly twelve in under one hour - More or less depending upon weight, I weigh 225 so it would take a little more.

And that's calculated at 0.5%. Some NA beers have a little as 0.1%.

In anticipation of comments I have seen in previous threads on this subject:

For those that are concerned with the "chemical reaction" of alcohol in the body triggering a relapse, I hope they are staying away of OJ, apple cider and probably some of the other fruit juices as well. A chemical reaction is a chemical reaction and it doesn't matter what the chemical tastes like.

Some have posted that drinking NA beer is a sign of a dry drunk - may I counter with: If the mere taste of beer is enough to send you off on a bender, perhaps you should examine the quality of your own sobriety - not that I necessarily believe that, but it follows the same train of logic.

But that's painting with a pretty broad brush. What it comes down to is the individual. This is where rigorous self honesty play an important role, if you think drinking an NA beer is going to cause trouble, it will probably cause trouble - expectations and all that. If you drink it to try and recapture the exhilaration of the "ritual" you used to enjoy, it will probably cause trouble.

My drinking of NA beer resembles my old behaviors only in that the bottles are brown. I used to easily finish off 3-4 beers an hour. With NA - lets just say I can finally appreciate those drink cozies - back in the day my beer was never given a chance to warm up, no matter how hot it was. Now, if it's outdoors in the summer, even with a cozy I usually end up dumping an inch or two when it gets warm.

As said before, makes it clear as mud - which is why I stress rigorous self honesty about one's motives. Some can, some can't, and the NA beer has very little to do with it.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I guess it is OK....until it isn't. To me, it is simply pushing a boundary....with consequences on the other side I cannot face again. I have walked out on limbs many times and always felt safe with my actions. Then, when the limb broke and I fell, it was too late!
Old 01-08-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was a wino, and never drank it for the taste but always for the high. So NA wine never had any attraction for me. I would be afraid that it would make me want the real thing so I avoid it like I avoid the real thing.