Notices

13 months today and I still have drunk dreams

Old 12-23-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

13 months today and I still have drunk dreams

Well people, today is 13 months!

My life is so much better now than it was a year and a month ago.

It's weird...i almost never think about getting drunk anymore but last night I had 2 drunk dreams that woke me up in a cold sweat. It scared the s#it out of me. I had the same dream twice.

An it's always the same one. I'm chugging bottle after bottle in this empty room when my wife and daughter walk in on me on my knees covered with burned cigerettes and thrown up booze. They look at me with such disappointment and I'm screaming at them to get out. The door shuts and I can hear them sobbing and l wake up.

It took me a minute to realize it was just a dream, but God.....what a reminder of where I once was.

So I spent the day in quiet reflection and I gave the wife and daughter an extra big hug when they came home tonight.

So...I just wanted to say....
You guys are always such a great source of inspiration and support and I wanted to express my gratitude for your friendship and wisdom. I'm so grateful for this place.

-bulldog
Old 12-23-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Congratulations on your sobriety! I'm coming up on 7 years sober and still have the occasional drunk dream. I wake up in a panic and then I'm gratefully reminded it was just a dream. I'm grateful for those dreams because they remind me of how grateful I am to be sober. I don't miss the horror of the drinking lifestyle one bit. It is so true. Life is so much better without the burden of alcohol. Great job!
Old 12-23-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 13 months. I'm at 18 and I still have them occasionally. The part that I remember usually involves holding or seeing a partially empty bottle or glass, and despairing that it's too late, that I've already relapsed and there's nothing I can do but start my sobriety clock from zero again. While I'm debating lying about having done it, I get a little panicky and wake up thankful it's a dream.

This isn't any more common than the old dreams everybody has about still being in college, late for a final exam, not having studied, etc. From what I understand about dreams, they are just your mind's way of processing the day's information, and that they have no real meaning, so I don't worry about it too much.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad it was not true...

blessings to you and your family
Merry Chritmas
Old 12-23-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ironically I have right around 13 months and two nights ago had a drunk dream for the first time in a while as well. The best feeling is knowing it was just a dream and not a relapse!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Way to go with your 13 months!!! I have a little over two years, and I still have drunk dreams. Read somewhere that you are taking sobrieity seriously when you continue having them. So, this is a GOOD thing........
Old 12-23-2010, 10:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 13 months!! I'm going on 4 years, and still have using dreams, but they are very rare. Amazingly, some of them are when I've ran out of a place where people are using.

I like ((MikeFreak's)) idea that we're taking sobriety/recovery seriously

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-23-2010, 11:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

The sober time on just this Thread is amazing. Wow! You all are inspiring.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats on 13 months! I'm just over 18 months now and I still have a drinking dream about once every two weeks or so. They do seem to be less frequent and less intense as time goes by.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

No worries, Bulldog. Awesomely sick dream (nigthtmare) though with nothing there to like, and for wiw, I still get alcoholic / drug using nightmares now and again and i'm 29 years sober It's just what it is, same as like any other dream: nothing to worry about and it will all fade back to nothing from whence it came.

Cheers! and congrats on your 13 months Bulldog! And congrats to all the other posters on their great achievments too! Way to go guys and gals!

Rob
Old 12-24-2010, 05:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Hi Bulldog! Congrats on your 13 months!!

I just passed my 2 year sober date, and about once a month I STILL have these dreams. Not as often, and actually I can't remember now when I had one the last time (maybe they're finally gone?).

When I was in counseling, the first 6 months of my recovery work, my counselor mentioned that even 'behind the scenes' (while we sleep, think of other things, etc) our brains are processing a LOT of stuff, and sometimes that might come out in what we dream about. He told me to look at it like taking a free 'pass' at returning to what I had been doing, feeling the feelings attached to it, remembering how happy I am that I'm not there anymore, and wake up having done nothing wrong at all.

I think it takes a while for our brains to heal, our psyche's to process the things we've gone through and work on.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
High on Life

Probably because the more we don't drink, the more we think about not drinking, which must have some subconscious effect on us. I never really thought about drinking when I was drinking, oddly enough.

I used to think using drugs and always trying to have a supply was a lot of work and effort, but sobriety is pretty much the same way, except we are directing and focusing our energies in a more positive way.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I hate those. I for one am so grateful for you here! You're a real inspiration and very funny, too
Old 12-24-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I still get those dreams.

And the ones where I'm naked (those are scary...even I don't want to look.).

Just like everything else, I suppose. My brain regurgitates garbage when I sleep.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had the drunk dream last and am glad it was just a dream... it was strange because I haven't even had a craving for alcohol.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Guess it's my turn to join the drunk dream club. 37 days sober and going to treatment where if you fail, they start your 90 days over. I dreamed that I was talking to someone, not paying attention and picked up a can of beer out of old habit. I had guzzled about 4 big swallows before remembering I had quit and would also now fail my pee test later that day. The rest of the dream dealt with the dread and I woke up just after my counselor handed me the cup. Shivers!!! Is there any way to avoid these dreams?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't think we can avoid them...lol...just be grateful they araskopf only dreams.

I had a bad dream last and at one point I was sitting at a table and there was a Heineken there...I was really annoyed it was there as I hadn't ordered it and didn't want to see it. Oddly I was not much of a beer drinker so it was a funny choice.

When I drank...I constantly dreamt of drinking...I think last nights untouched bottle was the first appearance of alcohol in my dreams in over a month...so it does get better
Old 01-09-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Bulldog...Congrats Mister...Congrats to all on their sober time.
I have never had a drunk dream...I have had a naked dream but much to my horror I was perfectly sober. I walked into work naked. wtf.........
Old 01-09-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrat on 13 months. I can't wait until I can type those words.

I've haven't had any drunken dreams but I've had some other scary ones. I'm thankful when I wake up in the morning and I didn't have a night full of bad dreams. My bad dreams usually have to do with something bad happening to my children ....