Notices

2years :(

Old 12-22-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2years :(

Hi Folks

I'm about to finish a drinking period in my life even tho I'm not sure if it's going to happen.
I'm just 25 years old but been through a lot and really don't want to go into details why I started drinking around 2008. My father is a heavy drinker and smoker as well, fortunately I do not smoke anymore and it's not likely I will ever going to be an active smoker. Also while I been drinking I missed cigarettes even less. I do agree that smoking is much more damaging than drinking by just looking at my 50 years old father who lost all his teeth and caughing all days from it.

2 years ago I couldn't believe that physical alcohol addiction which affects so many people is such a big issue that you can't just kick it. The first 3 months of my drinking was actually very good, I started up with beer then later with white wine. I average drink like 5-10 bottle of beers and 1 bottle of wine every day, this is how the day ended. I watch some movie or did some gaming till hit myself out then wake up next morning and feel choked.
After another 3 months passed I didn't want to quit doing it anymore. Without it the days would be so boring and depression + headaches started to come up as well. I started throwing more into the package and drinking champaign, jackdaniels sometimes too. At this point I had around 8-15 beers, 1 bottle of wine, 1 bottle of champaign almost every day. I did drink a whole box of beer (26) in 2-3 days. Made a good business for the local liquore store
I was out of job, no family, nothing was coming so didn't left much to live for at this point. My friends were fuckers too, none of them helped anything in my life, were losing them too. I had no reason at all to stop drinking.
I almost never started the day with drinking tho. I woke up around 2-3 pm every day, usually I felt well from previous days drinking but couldn't think clearly. These were 4-5 hour periods then I either wanted to choke a drink or had headaches and depression so eventually I only managed to stay sober for 6-8 hours a day.
Another six months passed and it got worst. I wanted to kill myself some days, nothing changed in my life at all and got really small motivation to stop drinking or even take back from it. I think what made me do it was the fact that I couldn't think clearly to do my job (online freelance coding) also I ****** up job interviews on simple questions because the answers didn't come to my mind. Alcohol was in my entire brain and it felt like a goddamn cloud which clears for very small amount of time in a day when I could be "creative".
In these days the VERY best I could do is skip 1 single day with drinking. The problem was that I never experience anything like alcohol addiction before. I didn't know how to handle it or what's happening to me.

So I started sobering myself on a week. The first day went ok, as I said I used to skip 1 day sometimes. The next 4 days were hell. This was the first time in my life when I lost control and felt disoriented. I never ever passed out or anything like that before. I didn't know what's happening to me, I had paranoid toughts about I have some problem with my brain because it didn't want to go away. I felt dizzy and completely disoriented. In one minute I was happy in the second I was depressed too. I come online to read more about what to do when you detoxicate your body. I bought many fruits, vitamins, natural water and eventually got through it. When it got worst during the day I always started eating and this helped getting through those moments. After a week the dizzyness was gone.
I managed to be sober for 2 weeks overall.
My life didn't change so I started drinking again but not that heavily. Just beer, even from that the lighter ones.
From that point I could even have 3-5 days without drinking. Usually in those times the 2nd day is the worst, when I'm through with that I can remain sober for longer.

I heard so many ******** about what both alcohol and drugs do like permanently damage your brain cells. Probably not half of these accusations are true but what I noticed after that heavy drinking period is my memory not that good. I often don't remember things but then I look it up and got it. Both my short and long memory affected.

I was active smoker for 2 years and I recall some days I have been smoking hell of a lot, I would say disgusting today but I kicked it many years ago. I can tell you that if you only smoke this much then stop it your lungs will recover and it won't effect your later life at all. I never caugh because of this, don't have any damage in my health and don't want to start smoking again. But is it the same with alcohol? We hear so many lies and scaring stories from the health industry, guess not even half of them are true. I'm just curious about if this 2 years really made permanent damage of any kind in my system. I ****** up my nerve system anyway with many hours spent front of the computer. I do know alcohol damages your nerve system too. Lately what I experience when I don't drink I feel very nervous not depressed sometimes I could break things with no reason.

I even tried to get back to weed, I loved it when I was 20 years old but no longer attracts me. It feels like I grown out of it even tho weed can make you a nice trip while alcohol is always the same feeling.

The general thing about drinking, smoking, drugs, gaming is the same, you shouldnt overdo it.
So that's all folks if things would've work out better for me in life I would never get this far regarding drinking. But it's done now and I wonder if I will be ever able to kick it for good.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome xaero. No on here is going to be able to tell you if you have damaged yourself from your drinking. You should seek medical treatment for that. You may have done things that will negatively affect. More likely you may heal things if you deal with it right now.

You need to decide if you want to quit. You can if you choose to. Consider getting a support system. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Xaero, I don't get what you're talking about when you say probably not half the things the medical community come out with are true, like on brain cell damage and so on. That IS true. The brain cells are permanently damaged by alcohol consumption in the sense that they're killed. There is probably some VARIATION to the damaging effects of alcohol, but it's basically true that it does attack the body in multiple ways.

I get the impression you are at a point where you want to think about what alcohol is doing to you but you probably also see that as not feasible; is that right?

I was just getting started when I was 25, when it comes to alcohol being a dominant factor in my life. But I was drinking it every day before I was 30; before I was 28 actually. I was drunk most days of the year from then up until a few weeks after I turned 41. I don't think I want that for you.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alchohol really does damage us Xaero.
I'd wager everyone here has their own personal first hand story on that - no health industry involved.

Sometimes the damage can be repaired but sometimes it can't.

As for how much? Individual cases vary - only your doctor can give you the score for you.

Good to have you with us Xaero - you'll find a lot of support here if you want to kick it for good

D
Old 12-23-2010, 04:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR.....

Please read these links

http://chemcases.com/alcohol/alc-07.htm

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...640436,00.html

Many of us have found that we are winning over alcohol...
So can you...

Last edited by CarolD; 12-23-2010 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Added Links
Old 12-23-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Brother, 3-5 days is when the withdrawal symptoms are the worst. THAT may be why you relapse, because you can't get over that hump. Our body tells us we "need" alcohol because of our "nerves" and "problems", but really all we're experiencing is withdrawal, and we're just drinking to supress them.

Have you thought about talking to your doctor? He can check you into someplace for a few days and give you meds to help get over early withdrawal. THEN you can start building a life that doesn't require booze. One step at a time....
Old 12-23-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope you can get help to stop drinking. I've been sober a year now and am loving my new and better life. There IS hope.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toronto68 View Post
Xaero, I don't get what you're talking about when you say probably not half the things the medical community come out with are true, like on brain cell damage and so on. That IS true. The brain cells are permanently damaged by alcohol consumption in the sense that they're killed. There is probably some VARIATION to the damaging effects of alcohol, but it's basically true that it does attack the body in multiple ways.

I get the impression you are at a point where you want to think about what alcohol is doing to you but you probably also see that as not feasible; is that right?

I was just getting started when I was 25, when it comes to alcohol being a dominant factor in my life. But I was drinking it every day before I was 30; before I was 28 actually. I was drunk most days of the year from then up until a few weeks after I turned 41. I don't think I want that for you.
Humanity have a deficient understanding about how our brain works. So I wouldnt bank on anything what the health industry says but I do know this smoking is MORE damaging than anything else. It won't just make you die but will make you suffer for 20-30 years.

I did have friends 30-40 years old who were very smart programmers (and heavy drinkers since a decade) but in life they failed and eventually this is what will matter how alcohol consumption affects your career. There are many simple jobs what you can do on drugs or on alcohol but not high level ones such as being lawyer, it, finance,
science, accounting, marketing, architecture etc. If you are not able to do that and make your own living BECAUSE of alcohol thats a problem.

I'm at the point of changing, my life will change and I will finally have a choice of stop drinking heavily. That might means to have a couple of beers over weekends. I'm not QQing about how alcohol messed me up but rather trying to say to others that it is not a solution for anything neither is smoking. It is a period what you got into becase of certain circumstances and you got out of it because other things but you should get out of it because every day you spend in this state is throwing away a day from your life.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yup. I agree xaero... It is an enormous waste of time on so many levels.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"eventually this is what will matter how alcohol consumption affects your career"

Yeah, that and having your liver go to mush, or dying from alcohol poisoning when he quantity required to get a buzz reaches fatal levels, and maybe killing somebody in a DUI.

I don't know brother, if your think you can just moderate rather than stop, then MAYBE you might be part of the tiny statistical minority that can do that. Heck, maybe you'll win the lottery too. I'm just saying the odds are against you. IMHO, anybody who's EVER drank the quantities you describe on a daily basis just can not have a healthy relationship with alcohol.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Think Double Z is right. When someone has problems with alcohol it is unlikely they can successfully moderate their consumption for a long period of time.