Notices

New Guy

Old 12-21-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Guy

Hello - just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. Not very much practice with forums so may need a littel help.

Ill get right to the point and what has brought me to sing up hear. I have been a heavy drinker for most of my life and have just now begun to slow down. I started when I was 14 and it has gotten worse up until now. I will be 31 years old in march. For the past 9 years or so I have drink between 6 and 10 beers a night - which I guess I thought was not excessive until I started looking around at the rest of the world.

I am now only drinking on the weekends which was a hard to do as I had not missed more that 5 days of beer in that 9 years. I guess I am hear to talk to folks that have experaince with this. I no I should stop completely and leave out the fridays and Sat but it just feels like a part of life now that is hard to let go.

I have no real health issue that I am aware of but one of the main reasons I am here is to ask opinions on the subject of health. How possible is it that I may have done serious damage to the liver at this point and what are some of you gusy opinions on this. I have a doctors appoinment 3 weeks from now for exam.

Thanks for looking
Old 12-21-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Going to the doctor is the wise decision. Yes, you can stop completely. Alcohol was so ingrained in my life, I didn't think I could possibly live without it.

I was wrong! I'm coming up on a year sober, and don't miss the alcohol, the procuring of it or the price to pay after consuming it. If I can do it, any many others have too, you can do it, too.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Best to you.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quick reply - I guess it was finally getting it in my head that damn this might actually be bad for me.

I wouldlike if some folks would share there check out experiances after stopping to let me know what I am in for.

I feel good most of the time and actually feel just the same as all those years of beer. Hoping I may have gotten out of this with my health still intact.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd like to suggest that you pick up a copy of "Under the Influence" which is a great book that explains the physical side of drinking and its effects on your body over time.

You can also read excerpts from the book in the sticky section at the top of this forum... here's a quick link: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post1591753

You're very smart to be looking at this now!! Good luck!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Under the Influence is an amazing book..great suggestion! I wish you well JobL.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

WWelcome to our recovery community....

The information in 'Under The Influence" opened my eyes too.
Only a doctor can do the necessary blood tests about
your possible damage...so please be completely honest
about your consumption ...good to know you are going....

Drinking a liquid toxin...is simply not healthy.
I've never regretted quitting.

All my best
Old 12-21-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi JOBL - welcome

I'm glad you're going to see the Dr - that's the best place to get answers and the best place to get advice IMO.

We have a thread here about people's detox experiences - everyone's experience is different...it can be a little harrowing to read but it really sets out what some of us have been through

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D
Old 12-21-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome JOBL - I started worrying about my health, too, and it's one of the many reasons I got sober. The good news is that the body can heal itself to a great degree if we stop abusing it.

I didn't really want to give up alcohol completely either, but I found out I really couldn't be a "one or two" kind of drinker. It was hard to resist the urges at first, but coming here really helps when I'm feeling tempted, and I found out that I really like not having to think about alcohol all the time.

Glad you decided to post!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome JOBL - I started worrying about my health, too, and it's one of the many reasons I got sober. The good news is that the body can heal itself to a great degree if we stop abusing it.

I didn't really want to give up alcohol completely either, but I found out I really couldn't be a "one or two" kind of drinker. It was hard to resist the urges at first, but coming here really helps when I'm feeling tempted, and I found out that I really like not having to think about alcohol all the time.

Glad you decided to post!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome. Your Dr. will let you know what damage you've done to your body, be honest with him. At 30 years of age you are still pretty young, you might get lucky.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I (finally) quit completely a year ago and have never felt better in my life. Be honest with your doctor and hopefully your body will repair itself after you've quit completely.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies - don't know why I am so worried about this. It's kind of like an early mid life crises - I hope early anyway!!

How many of you have stoped drinking for a now and have not gotten checked out?
Old 12-22-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I want to be honest with you, it will feel bad to stop something your body has become so dependent on. Your body and brain has become used to the toxins and it takes awhile to get your brain healed from that. But once you do, it will open up a world like you've never known.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hellochickee View Post
Welcome!

I want to be honest with you, it will feel bad to stop something your body has become so dependent on. Your body and brain has become used to the toxins and it takes awhile to get your brain healed from that. But once you do, it will open up a world like you've never known.
Yea I was kinda scared when I had in mind that I would stop becasue I had read so many bad things on the internet about withdrawls. But what was funny the fist week I went without drinking I had no real symtoms at all it was like it was really no big deal to not drink beer - that still scares me. I drink beer every night for 9 or so years without exception.

I still find it funny that I can go without it and just thought I had to have it all those years for some reason. I come from a family with a long line of bad alcoholics that just could not stop until the end - dont know what made me so special!