Notices

traveling and drinking

Old 12-15-2010, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

traveling and drinking

I don't like this, it just really kills me. I am my own worst enemy with work. My boss warned me that if my name got out there throughout the country in my job I would be traveling. I don't mind that they request me to go but here I sit again in the hotel feeling fragile. I can't say no, it would derail all the good will and momentum I have built for myself. There usually is a 5 to 7 complimentary bar most places I go and there is one here. I don't dare go down but I feel a prisoner. I have to get up early for a busy day, drive into a busy city and find parking. The last thing I need is to drink and go in stinking and hazy.

Terrible habit, shame I'll always have it.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Why not check for AA meetings in the city your are in? You could always go out and find something to do that doesn't involve drinking. The longer you go without drinking, the easier it will get. In the meantime, you may need to find things to do that are not conducive to drinking. Hang in there. You can do this.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Suki. I am almost over the anxiety and will just chill and get to bed early.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I hate it for you. Hang in there.

As for going to AA meetings in other cities - it's always cool. Like coming home in a way. Wherever you are in the world, practically, there's always one place you can go and feel like you belong. You don't have to explain why you're there or who you are, you're just one of the tribe.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Seriously, check out AA meetings when you travel, I do... it's a great experience. My brother is in sales... 24 years in AA... the meetings he's been to... Get your mind off that complimentary bar.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, oh yes, do find yourself a meeting or two in that strange city. You won't be a stranger at the meeting.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

On the Road Again

Day 44 here. I too was really afraid to go on the road after deciding to quit drinking. My last business trip I went to my first AA meeting ever. It was great. Not only did I learn about AA, but it kept me out of the bars - my usual hangout while I am on the road. I also bought the AA Big Book which I read constantly in order to keep me focused. Lastly, I brought all of you along via SR - my first bookmark on my laptop.

The result of staying sober: 1) no more horrible hangovers; 2) no worries about what I did the night before; and 3) much more productive business trips along with several positive comments from my clients (who were unaware of my drinking).

Old 12-16-2010, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can go for a walk around the area, or check out the fitness room should your hotel have one. Watch some TV, go out to eat. ..bring some books along when you travel. .

It is hard. I know that feeling well. Hang in there. You can do it and stay sober!
Old 12-16-2010, 06:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was terraified of business travel too....it does get easier...the stronger you are in your sobriety and as you gain confidence in the tools you are acquiring you will feel better...you will not always be hostage to the disease....Just Keep Working!!!

Hugs, LaFemme
Old 12-16-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hope you stay in sober focus during this difficult time
Old 12-16-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
I was terraified of business travel too....it does get easier...the stronger you are in your sobriety and as you gain confidence in the tools you are acquiring you will feel better...you will not always be hostage to the disease....Just Keep Working!!!

Hugs, LaFemme
Thanks LaFemme, I like how you mention the tools because I think that is what we need to remind ourselves. I am slowly learning what to help me keep from drinking by using the tools I seem to build within myself.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
but here I sit again in the hotel feeling fragile. I can't say no, it would derail all the good will and momentum I have built for myself. There usually is a 5 to 7 complimentary bar most places I go and there is one here. I don't dare go down but I feel a prisoner. I have to get up early for a busy day, drive into a busy city and find parking. The last thing I need is to drink and go in stinking and hazy.

Terrible habit, shame I'll always have it.
Sudz, that's the difference between living in recovery-mode and being recovered. I'm sure there are many many recovered alcoholics who travel....I bet there are even recovered alcoholics who travel in their jobs for alcohol producing companies. (I've gotta believe Anheuser-Busch has a couple recovered alkies working there).

I hope you see what I'm pointing out.... regardless of your job, regardless of your situation, regardless of whatever "triggers" are out there, you don't have to ever drink again - get recoverED and that stuff simply won't be an issue anymore.

....and you don't have to "have it" always. It can be gone today if you're willing.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dismember

Why "traveling and drinking?" Why not traveling and exploring the local coffee shops? Traveling and checking out the silly museums? Traveling and just exploring the locale?

I just took a week's vacation in one of the most notoriously bar-laden cities in the U.S. I found a ton of crap to do. Even after five days I felt like I didn't get to do all I wanted.

So go exploring, check out the local AA, find the coffee shops (you never know where the perfect cup will turn up.) You can probably even ask your hotel for newspapers, time killers, etc. Most will be happy to supply you with distractions other than the downstairs bar.