Notices

The biggest loser & alcohol

Old 12-15-2010, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The biggest loser & alcohol

I am a huge fan of the TV show “The Biggest Loser” and it reminds me a lot of my struggles with alcohol. The contests are all over weight to the point that they are literally dyeing and it is hurting their family and friends. I guess that all addictions are kind of the same but they literally cannot stop eating. It appeals to me because you see the emotional struggle to lose the weight and literally change their whole lifestyle, from where they hang out and the kind of people they hang around. To me it is all about conquering addiction.

Last night here are some of the quotes I heard and I just thought about how it sounded like stopping drinking.

“I just can’t do this on my own”

“I’m going to die if I don’t change”

“I want to be someone my friends and family can be proud of”

“ I can break the ugly cycle and start a new cycle of healthy living”
Old 12-15-2010, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I like it too. I think there are a lot of parallels in all addictions. It's one of the reasons why the 'fat acceptance' movement enrages me.

Empathy for all people who are struggling, yes. But supporting people who believe they can be healthy at 300lbs? No more than I could be healthy in the height of my own addictions, IMHO.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think the great thing about working an effective recovery programme is that it's NOT a competition. I don't have to quit my addictions in a better way than anyone else, or more quickly, or more spiritually or more discreetly. In fact, what I am learning is that helping other people who are also trying to quit is part of the process.

Having said that, I do really like that show!
Old 12-15-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know two fellow recovering alcoholics who went into Overeaters Anonymous and lost a lot of weight ... we're addicts and I'll turn to anything if it will give me temporary relief.