Notices

Drinking The Feelings Away...Paying The Price

Old 12-16-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I lost 18 months of my life drinking over someone I lost - she was a lovely person, but it really wasn't worth it.

I'm sorry you're dealing with the pain now tj, but at least sober you'll actually deal with it and get through it.

I hope something better is in store for you

D
Hey thanks.........I am just trying to stay busy w/work and activities. Believe it or not I am a certified personal trainer....not my day job but I have picked up a few clients recently during the evenings.....helping others when you are hurting helps...so I am just being as nice as I can to everyone.

I suffer from the "nice guy" syndrom, so who knows when another woman will come into my life...but I am not gonna push it..time for me to fix me.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It's good to see you posting here everyday, and taking advantage of the wonderful support community here. You're not alone, many of us have the same feelings/fears and setbacks. One thing that helped me a lot is to be irrational on one point. Not drinking. Take naps, showers, whatever, but just refuse to budge on that one point. Most people find that they begin to experience feelings again, some good, some bad. And with that small steps, you begin to feel more in control of your feelings. You don't react so quickly by fleeing from the pain and running for a mood-changer. It's difficult, but it's really the only option. In many parts of my life, i try to be flexible, roll with the punches. But in drinking, I have to make that my point of no compromise. And all your feelings, painful as they are, connect you with the billions of others on the planet who experience the same thing. No one likes to be rejected. I'm extremely sensitive to people. Yet, when i was actively drinking, the sudden flare-ups of anger seemed to feel more intense, and last longer. I can't explain why, i just have experienced that the flare-ups of anger aren't as strong, and seem to go away much quicker. Stay committed to the one goal of sobriety, you won't regret it.